What's new

Welcome back Ever-Ready 1914

Most of us have so many razors we sometime may put one aside for awhile and it doesn’t get used because something different kicked it out of the lineup. Such is the case with my beloved EverReady 1914.

I always felt this was a fantastic razor I put it aside for a couple of other razors and it hasn’t gotten used in quite awhile. Well I pulled it out again today and all I can say is Wow! I remember how much I loved this razor. It is smooth and easy to use. It does have a lot of blade feel, so you have to pretty well have your technique down.

If you can get your hands on one of these I recommend you give it a try. Like I said, it does have a lot of blade exposure, so take it easy if it’s your first go around. Once you get the hang of it, you will love it.

ER-1914_b.JPG

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
It is one of the best Everready razors(1914) I have and gives a great shave and the part that I enjoy is the audio feed back it resonates back to myself indicating whiskers being sliced or ones missed. They must of sold a lot of them because _bay has them up for sale a lot of the time & demand a higher price than other popular ER models. They made 2 different types of blade stops and the 2nd generation stop might be a little better.
............1st gen blade stops.....................................................................2nd gen blade stops
1st generation blade stop.jpg
2nd generation blade stops.jpg

Have some great shaves! Stay and think safe in these times!

It is one of the best Everready razors(1914) I have and gives a great shave and the part that I enjoy is the audio feed back it resonates back to myself indicating whiskers being sliced or ones missed. They must of sold a lot of them because _bay has them up for sale a lot of the time & demand a higher price than other popular ER models. They made 2 different types of blade stops and the 2nd generation stop might be a little better.
............1st gen blade stops.....................................................................2nd gen blade stops
View attachment 1219764 View attachment 1219765
Yeah the second generation came out around 1921, they also have the smooth handles.

It is one of the best Ever-ready razors(1914) I have and gives a great shave and the part that I enjoy is the audio feed back it resonates back to myself indicating whiskers being sliced or ones missed. They must of sold a lot of them because _bay has them up for sale a lot of the time & demand a higher price than other popular ER models.

It's not always easy to find one in good condition. Sometimes they are bent down or up too much or they don't close tightly. I've gotten 3 good ones out of about 8 that I bought.

Here’s a 1914 I picked up a few years ago that has the instructions. Apparently they raised the price of the stropping machine from $1 to $1.50 so it was someones job to stamp the new price on the instructions that had already been printed, bet that was an exciting job! $1.50 then is almost $40 today, wonder how many guys actually bought the stropping machine.
69951A3C-5741-49D9-A2DE-326BC8F5BD97.jpeg
233265F2-07CA-4471-8B20-5F561A32F7CC.jpeg
C6D8A369-185F-4AEC-83EE-6C89C9BF3335.jpeg
282072DE-E1B2-4E86-8792-D637630C0B0E.jpeg

Last edited:
Here’s a 1914 I picked up a few years ago that has the instructions. Apparently they raised the price of the stropping machine from $1 to $1.50 so it was someones job to stamp the new price on the instructions that had already been printed, bet that was an exciting job! $1.50 then is almost $40 today, wonder how many guys actually bought the stropping machine.
View attachment 1220050View attachment 1220051View attachment 1220052View attachment 1220053

It's funny seeing a price of $1.00 on it. They would be worth $40. dollars today. I would gladly pay $40. for a brand new one.

It's funny seeing a price of $1.00 on it. They would be worth $40. dollars today. I would gladly pay $40. for a brand new one.
$1 was a lot of money back then, that's why I wonder how many men paid that much for the razor, then sprung for the stropping machine as well for the same amount. In todays dollars the 10 blades would cost almost $13 so they weren't cheap either, even though they were "marvelous".
I think the Ever~Ready 1914 could be the most aggressive razor ever made but it feels so smooth to shave with. I just love it.

View attachment 1220126
They're definitely not for the faint of heart, or anyone with shaky hands!

Ron R

I think the Ever~Ready 1914 could be the most aggressive razor ever made but it feels so smooth to shave with. I just love it.

View attachment 1220126
You know I really did not find my 1914 over aggressive just a nice mid range, maybe they made a different model that I'm not aware of. It is very efficient and smooth but not overly aggressive at least my model. I know they had some modifications for the 1924 shovel head with handles and some minor base plate open comb variants. Some more information is folks are interested.

Ron R

SE SOTD, Tue, Feb 9th 2021

Razor: Everready 1914 (LLCatcher)-Mfg 1914-17,1st gen blade stops, mid range, excellent razor for its time era & present, great audio feedback.
Blade: Gem Personna SS PTFE (8) excellent blade, very sharp, smooths out nicely, excellent longevity & predictable.
Soap: Ogallala Bayrum & Sandalwood - excellent soap, great milder scent with some clove, excellent lather qualities, good post feel.
Brush: Yaqi timber wolf whiskers 24mm knot, cloud like soft tips, good back bone for a nice scrub + great lather painter.
Pre shave: Brush wash my whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser + a dollop of clear Aloe Vera gel on cleaned beard area.
Prep: Cold water rinse after each pass of 2 + pickups. WTG + ATG + pickups.
Post shave: Witch hazel + Ogallala bayrum & Sandalwood with clove + a dollop of Nivea balm. (-35C, 35 humidity indoors)
Results: CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + no weepers = :a17: Excellent shave with my ER 1914 with a coated Gem SS blade.
(Lately I have been receiving perfect shaves, maybe the dryer cold weather?)

SE SOTD , Tue Feb 9th 2021.jpg

SE SOTD, Tue, Feb 9th 2021

Razor: Everready 1914 (LLCatcher)-Mfg 1914-17,1st gen blade stops, mid range, excellent razor for its time era & present, great audio feedback.
Blade: Gem Personna SS PTFE (8) excellent blade, very sharp, smooths out nicely, excellent longevity & predictable.
Soap: Ogallala Bayrum & Sandalwood - excellent soap, great milder scent with some clove, excellent lather qualities, good post feel.
Brush: Yaqi timber wolf whiskers 24mm knot, cloud like soft tips, good back bone for a nice scrub + great lather painter.
Pre shave: Brush wash my whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser + a dollop of clear Aloe Vera gel on cleaned beard area.
Prep: Cold water rinse after each pass of 2 + pickups. WTG + ATG + pickups.
Post shave: Witch hazel + Ogallala bayrum & Sandalwood with clove + a dollop of Nivea balm. (-35C, 35 humidity indoors)
Results: CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + no weepers = :a17: Excellent shave with my ER 1914 with a coated Gem SS blade.
(Lately I have been receiving perfect shaves, maybe the dryer cold weather?)

SE SOTD , Tue Feb 9th 2021.jpg

Nice SOTD. The soap sure looks interesting.

Could someone refresh my memory? Which razor is newer the ones with a hex handle like mine or the ones with a round handle like Ron's above?

Top Bottom