What's new

Weird question. Has anyone here face shaved an elderly dependent adult?

I searched the forums and couldn’t find any good examples. If you’re aware of a good thread, please send me a link and I’ll use it instead.

I’m looking for any tips. My mom and dad moved in with us earlier this year and the first words out of my mom’s mouth was “You’re shaving Dad.” Turns out she was shaving him with an electric and a Mach 3 and he hates them both equally and made that crystal clear to her. She is done done with shaving Dad.

He tells me he enjoys the shaves I give him but they all scare the hell me because of his loose and thin skin (he’s 89). At least he’s not on blood thinners. He used to shave with a Super Speed, drug store brand blades and hand soap (I think Dove). I guess he was a hard man that way. I’ve been shaving him with a Feather AS-D2 paired with Voskhod blades and PAA CK-6 base soaps.

It’s really tough to shave someone with very loose and thin skin. If anyone has any words of wisdoms on hardware, software or technique I’d be very grateful. I will say I’m an experienced wet shaver and have an extensive collection of DE razors but I'm sure someone out there has more experience then me.

After learning to straight razor shave, I keep looking at my dad, studying his face and thinking about the best way to about chopping his beard off. I’ve never seen him clean shaven in my entire life. I’m afraid I would need to wait until he’s asleep to do it. He’s made it quite clear that he’s not interested. Come to think of it he is on blood thinners. Oh well, nothing ventured nothing gained.

The scariest part about shaving someone else would be that you can’t feel when you’ve made a mistake. If you get a nick, you feel it and stop immediately. The blood comes a short time later. I’m not sure how comfortable I would be without that instant feedback.

I’m willing to try them. I’m looking at the specs now. He’s pretty insistent he doesn’t like that f&$&ing plastic crap.

I would use a known dull blade, like a Derby. As much as I dislike modern Gillette, how about a Gillette Trio?

I have a Derby or two. I just ordered some Treos. I’m hoping he likes them better then the Mach 3s. Thanks for pointing those out. I’m not 100% convinced he’ll like them but it would make me more comfortable if we just tried them. He’s a grumpy guy at this stage.

I’ve been shaving him with a Feather AS-D2 paired with Voskhod blades and PAA CK-6 base soaps.
The razor is probably ideal and Voskhods are okay but the Astra SP would be a little better if you have a few of them to try. Mind you, if he likes the feel of the Voskhods stick with them.
The post 2016 Derby Extra are also okay but maybe not the pre 2016 variety with that razor.
Derby Extra.JPG

The razor is probably ideal and Voskhods are okay but the Astra SP would be a little better if you have a few of them to try. Mind you, if he likes the feel of the Voskhods stick with them.

I have several tucks of Astra SPs. I’ll give them a shot.

Have you evaluated to use a One Blade razor? The Core is pretty cost effective, I have it and use it when my skin is stressed. I think it is virtually impossible to have cuts or nicks with this razors. The shave is not super close and the Feather blades are expensive and lasting max for shaves, but the experience is definitively a "wet shave" one, very very comfortable and far from carts.

Do you stretch his skin while you shave him? Look at videos of a barbers technique while straight shaving a customer. Stretch the skin in the direction of your shaving pass.

Good luck.[emoji846]

Sent from my H1A1000 using Tapatalk

Yeah, i agree about the skin stretching, especially the the style that you cant really do yourself with the shorter strokes as you move around the face.

I too shaved my father when he was 89 before he passed. The first few times I used his Gillette super speed and a fresh blade (can't remember which blade ) and his can of shave cream. I then took a 34C, some Cella and Personna Reds for the last several shaves. It is nerve wracking due to the loose skin. I was just careful and went very slow. He loved the shaves and I was lucky enough not to cause any damage. It's a memory for a lifetime.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I shaved my dad many times before he passed and now I’m shaving my grandpa.

I used a Gillette Guard on my dad and the same on my grandpa. Neither one cared so I use what is easiest, most convenient, and least likely to cause any nicks. Barbasol, Gillette Guard, and any aftershave they like. 5-10 minute task and done.

Give the Gillette Guard a try. It’s just a single blade, much like an injector. I always had great luck with it.

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
God Bless You for taking good care of your folks! I like the short strokes suggestion...seems logical. A good slick protective soap or cream would be a good thing as well. My Mom and Dad died about four and a half years ago. I think back on the times when my wife and I cared for them in their time of need. You don't realize how much you're doing for them...you do it out of love...whatever the need is, you take care of it. But when they were gone...it was as if we had to rediscover ourselves. We were spending so much time caring for them that our lives and routines had seemingly vanished. You come to understand...there can be no love without sacrifice. Keep up the good work! Happy shaves!

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
I shave my adult son, who is autistic and just can't navigate it. He hates electric razors. I have settled on Barbasol with a Schick Hydro as the easiest and safest, followed by Gillette aftershave balm. He also has a Fusion which is not quite as gentle as the Schick but has a much more secure cartridge attachment.

I would use a known dull blade, like a Derby. As much as I dislike modern Gillette, how about a Gillette Trio? They are designed for care givers to shave someone else. I have no experience of them myself. Good luck. Gillette UK - https://www.gillette.co.uk/treo.list

They are on Amazon Amazon.com - https://www.amazon.com/Gillette-Designed-Caregivers-Someone-Disposable/dp/B07QJ2RTV4
I would definitely not use a dull blade. It is much more difficult to shave if it is tugging and you lose the precision. I have not shaven old people but I have shaven other and regardless if it has been Feather or Sputnik or any other sharp blade, I never had a problem nor any weeper because I was able to keep a light hand and there was no tugging.

God Bless You for taking good care of your folks! I like the short strokes suggestion...seems logical. A good slick protective soap or cream would be a good thing as well. My Mom and Dad died about four and a half years ago. I think back on the times when my wife and I cared for them in their time of need. You don't realize how much you're doing for them...you do it out of love...whatever the need is, you take care of it. But when they were gone...it was as if we had to rediscover ourselves. We were spending so much time caring for them that our lives and routines had seemingly vanished. You come to understand...there can be no love without sacrifice. Keep up the good work! Happy shaves!
Spot on! It's difficult to see the good you're doing when you're in the middle of it. But you are providing love & care for your dad. You are spending time with your dad. Mine has been gone for 22 years. I would love to give him one shave.

Top Bottom