What's new

Weird Gillette presentation piece from 1924

I'm not too sure what to make of this Gillette presentation piece. It was given to an individual on January 19th, 1924 at a Sergeants Benevolent Association banquet in New York City. The organization was formed in 1899 and had its first banquet in 1907 at the Waldorf in New York.

I contacted the SBA and was told that their records do not go that far back and they have no idea who it was presented to or why. The person I spoke with said that another collector called about a month ago with the same exact request for information, so there are more than one of these pieces that exist.

My question is, why? Why would the head of a Gillette razor be modified into a presentation piece? It's sort of like if I went to the hardware store and bought a hammer and then decided to remove the handle and attach a small badge to the head, and then present it to someone. It just doesn't seem to make sense to me. Help me out here. What am I missing?
IMG_1511.JPG
IMG_1512.JPG
IMG_1514.JPG
IMG_1504.JPG
IMG_1506.JPG
IMG_1513.JPG

Last edited:
I guess this novel type of razor seemed like a good party favour at that event. I’d choose it over an engraved letter opener if the party committee took a vote on it.

I notice the badge has a number 3100 on it, which possibly was personalized for the recipient, who may have actually had that badge number. How about you research that and report back to us?

That is a Bigelow Parkin Co. travel razor. I have had a few pass thru my hands. Most plated nickel a few gold. I have shaved with them a copy of times. They have a step learning curve.
Have you tried it yet?
Thank you. Now I just have to figure out how to change the blade.
I guess this novel type of razor seemed like a good party favour at that event. I’d choose it over an engraved letter opener if the party committee took a vote on it.

I notice the badge has a number 3100 on it, which possibly was personalized for the recipient, who may have actually had that badge number. How about you research that and report back to us?
I'm looking into that angle and hope to have an answer later this week.

BigJ - Thank you very much, my friend.

Last edited:

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I'm pretty this was intended as a presentation piece rather than a shaver, as there was no handle included and the area where a handle would attach has been covered by the tiny badge affixed to the base.

I'm looking into that angle and hope to have an answer later this week.
Looks like you flip the two flaps down against the bottom plate and hold the two flaps as a handle.
download.jpg

I’ve seen geofatboy shaving with one on YouTube
That's something I'm going to have to watch. Just from handling it, I think I'm going to use it 'flat' with the two projections out to the side. I can use one projection between thumb and forefinger and I think I'll be alright.
IMG_1530.JPG
IMG_1531.JPG
IMG_1533.JPG

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
That's something I'm going to have to watch. Just from handling it, I think I'm going to use it 'flat' with the two projections out to the side. I can use one projection between thumb and forefinger and I think I'll be alright.
I think you'll have trouble.
It appears to me that pressure from thumb and forefinger on the tabs is all that securely and tightly holds the bottom plate against the blade.

I think you'll have trouble.
It appears to me that pressure from thumb and forefinger on the tabs is all that securely and tightly holds the bottom plate against the blade.
Phil, have you had the chance to try this razor? If so, any tips on its use?

Top Bottom