What's new

Weird Gillette DE Adj auction

Claiming to be a "Vintage February 1960 Gillette Adjustable razor MIB from Grandma's estate," someone is selling a unused razor. It was a promotional sample actually mailed to "occupant."

So people ask, "is a Fat Boy or what?" and seller replies that that it a .... type 195. Bidding frenzy ensues.

But here's the joke. From my understanding the type 195 had the adjustment dial low on the handle, but this razor has it high on the handle in the normal location.

What's going on here?

EDIT********
Apologies if I'm not to drum up interest in an auction here, but I have no connection to the seller. And I've placed no bid, because I don't think it's a type 195.

If the box says it's a 195, and the box is designed and printed by the good folks at Gillette, I'd say it's a 195. (It may not be the 195 people talk about when they use the term "195", but it's probably still a 195.)

But I'm a lost little newbie...

Christopher

Looks like a fat boy to me . The box may say 195 but the razor is not a 195

you should remove the link to that auction and just show the picture live auctions are not allowed on the forums .

Here is the picture
proxy.php

Nick

Looks like your usual Gillette Fatboy, albeit a very nice looking Fatboy. $96 (and rising) worth of Fatboy? Not for me, but I'm certain someone will be very happy to have it for well over $100.

-Pete

I was reading a little 195 thread the other day, and [as I understand it] the Fat Boy was originally called the 195 because it cost $1.95 [as advertised on the packaging]. The 195 was [for a short time only] redesigned with the adjusting dial at the bottom of the handle instead of at the top. When razor enthusiasts talk of the 195, they usually refer to the rarest [and hence most desireable] model--the one with the adjusting dial at the bottom. However, any of the Fat Boys are technically classified as 195s.

(At least, that's how I understood the explanation.)

But as I said before...I'm a lost little newbie.

Christopher

Christopher,

Uncertain. True that some of the materials (like the bit quoted by the seller) refer to it as a "195 razor." But on the forums, we never, ever call the Fatboy a 195. Just leads to confusion.

As for this one. I suppose it is possible someone is bidding on this thing as a 195, but I doubt it. I expect those prices are just driven by the brand new, mint, shiny, perfect, complete factor. Which will do crazy things with the price of a razor.

-Mo

These are scans of the original fatboy paperwork from my e-4.

Last edited by a moderator:
It does kinda crack me up that the instructions make it very clear that the Fat Boy was dubbed the 195 Adjustable by Gillette, but yet we stubbornly apply that name only to the funny looking one. :)

-Mo

Looks like a fat boy to me . The box may say 195 but the razor is not a 195

Nick

I don't think the box says anything but Gillette adjustable. I think the letter sent with it says model 195.

It's good not to post live auctions. I was in one where the seller had no idea what he had. I was going to promote it, just to help the guy. (Really to hurt my own bids!)

I didn't, trying for a bargain. I wimped out and lost to a higher bid: 1 cent more.

The "REAL" 195 actually says 195 adjustable on the base plate and has the magnifying insert on the opposite end of the plastic top.

Top Bottom