What's new

Weight

LOOSE GRIP

I prefer my Van Der Hagen razor with a short handle. It weighs 63 grams. I don't use another razor. I only use Williams Mug Soap and Astra SP blades.

My grip is so light, I'm afraid a heavier razor would fall out of my fingers. I apply very little pressure to my face. When I pay attention, the razor doesn't deflect the skin at all. A loose grip allows for better feel of the blade's actions on the skin. I try to shave one molecule above the skin. Ok, that's an exaggeration, but you get the idea.

For the pilots in the group, my grip is similar to that used in a three foot fingertip formation.

My shaving is almost completely in the subconscious now, so I couldn't say exactly what I do without making a video. Making a video would change my actions, so I won't.

Last edited:
I tend to like the head heavy razors more. Think qshave adjustable, Parker adjustable When I switch back to a tail heavy one I am always complaining for some time. And it is not only with de that you want that balance
Focus dynamic r48 (allu) vs r50 (stainless) I wish they would have hollowed that r50 handle now the balance is so awkward compared to the r48.
Oneblade genesis has a great balance. It baffled me why they messed that balance up in the core v1 maybe they were thinking must be heavy?
Still this is my preference and a looooot wil like a different weight, balance etc.

Last edited:
For a long time I sat up on my high horse looking down on all those buying heavy stainless razors and handles. Upwards of 100g and sometimes that's just the handle. I just knew Gillette and Schick etc had it right. Light is right. They new that. Obviously. T'was a no brainer.

Then I bought a Game Changer. And a Mamba. I liked them so much I bought a few more stainless handles from Italian Barber. Cheap even with postage to UK.

They all shave well. The weight isn't the reason. My aluminium Gillette Tech shaved well. A good shaver is a good shaver and all the rest is personal preference. We don't need no stinkin physicists. :w00t:

Last edited:
I do think high end needs to be fairly heavy to sell. Who would pay 150-250 Bucks for a 30g razor even if it was the best razor ever made? I suspect we equate light as cheap and heavy as quality. Stainless razors do feel like quality items compared to most vintage razors.

Top Bottom