What's new

Weight

Ad Astra

The Instigator
You find a sweet spot with weight, over time, and everything else is too light or too heavy.

Titanium is perfect for me because bulk, too, is a thing. Like Goldilocks porridge ...

AS

The sweet spot for me is around 100g. Stainless steel seems to have an ideal density for razors. It creates a perfect razor size at this weight.

The sweet spot for me is around 100g. Stainless steel seems to have an ideal density for razors. It creates a perfect razor size at this weight.
I also like a razor around the 100g mark. I've developed a slight tremor in my right hand due to nerve damage from a workplace accident, so a slightly heavier razor keeps the shakiness down.

Currently, my main razor is a GC .84-P with a Barber Pole handle which happens to weigh 100g. The balance point is exactly halfway between the head and handle tip. I hold the handle just below the balance point and it provides the perfect amount of pressure for my shaving style.

I used to be in the "heavier is better" camp, until I happened across a Wardonia razor made almost completely of urea plastic. Best. DE. Razor. Ever. I've come to the conclusion that it's more about blade gap and balance for me and my face and less about weight. And it's not just the Wardonia; the aluminum handled Schotz slant is another light but ultra-efficient razor, as is the Gibbs Adjustable with the hollow plastic handle - superior to the ss Rex Ambassador which is based on the same head design.

love heavier razors with weight in the head but then again l like it in the handle.depends on the razor.john

+1 for Ad Astra: You find a sweet spot with weight, over time, and everything else is too light or too heavy. I started the DE journey with a Merkur HD and hated it! Only after getting a Merkur Progress did I realize that I needed a more aggressive razor with more weight. Currently, a Parker Variant provides the best 2-pass shave (WTG and XTG). I intuitively tilt my head to the side on an XTG pass so that the weight of the razor is effective. When doing a 3 pass shave, the Variant is too heavy for a comfortable ATG pass, but the Merkur Progress, a slightly lighter razor, provides a comfortable ATG pass. I just cannot use light razors. Even a Fatboy is too light to provide a close 3 pass shave. YMMV...

+1 for Ad Astra: You find a sweet spot with weight, over time, and everything else is too light or too heavy. I started the DE journey with a Merkur HD and hated it! Only after getting a Merkur Progress did I realize that I needed a more aggressive razor with more weight. Currently, a Parker Variant provides the best 2-pass shave (WTG and XTG). I intuitively tilt my head to the side on an XTG pass so that the weight of the razor is effective. When doing a 3 pass shave, the Variant is too heavy for a comfortable ATG pass, but the Merkur Progress, a slightly lighter razor, provides a comfortable ATG pass. I just cannot use light razors. Even a Fatboy is too light to provide a close 3 pass shave. YMMV...
Totally agree with the sweet spot over time discovery... All the math and science aside it really takes time to find what weight works best for each individual. My sweet spot is somewhere between 70 - 100 grams, but my Standard Razor is perenially one of my best preformers and is only about 50 grams. The first time I really noticed a weight sweet spot was a few years back with a Parker Variant and an Ikon SBS w/ Bulldog handle about the same time. I found both uncomfortably heavy and have since paid closer attention to total weight when purchasing new razors... With a three piece razor you can change handles to easily customize the weight and balance but with adjustables you get what you get in most cases, so either you like it or move on.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

Great question!

I enjoy heavy and light razors. My daily driver is a heavy SS (Wolfman WR1/WRH2 handle) while my travel razor is very lightweight (Lord L6). Both provide very fine shaves!

To me razor balance and head geometry are more important than weight! :a29:

I am no physicist and by no means have I a huge amount of razors but I will chip in nonetheless.

I was using EJ DE89 for years and when I uscaled to Rockwell6S I was concerned that is like twice as heavy and what will it be liek to shave with it. Well couple of months in...I don't agree that weight is counterproductive on upward strokes. I find them almost the same, difference is really not notable. Maybe it would be if I had a strength of a 1month baby

An interesting question. It does seem to me that mass or weight (or the combination thereof) increases the aggressiveness and the effectiveness of a safety razor.

The downside is mass and weight can be counterproductive if the shaver has a painful arthritic hand.

I also agree with the points in the original question: that weight is good on a downstroke, irrelevant on a sideways stroke, and counterproductive on an upstroke.

I'd like to hear more discussion of this question, especially from any physicists on the forum.
It all comes down to slight of hand. I have arthritic hands it isn’t the weight, you can control that easily. It’s the grip with arthritic hands, the smaller and lighter the item the harder it is to grip. All my brushes are large knot, easier and more comfortable to grip and hold. I prefer light razor heads and heavier short handles 14mm is better then 13mm In diameter. When I used a plastic slant it was difficult to use, it wasn’t the weight but the lack of weight which was uncomfortable. There was no balance it was too light and more difficult for my hands. Too light is worse then too heavy. Balance is choking up or down on the handle.

I agree with ddillas as my sweet spot is 70 - 100 grams. I occasionally will use a Schick Injector and have to concentrate not to use pressure.

On a twisty back road, I'd rather drive a lightweight sport car. On a long interstate trip, a heavier touring car would be my choice. Weight smooths the ride, but it's not good when you're going around tight turns. There is a balance that feels right.

Back in September 2016 I purchased one of the first Phoenix Bakelite Open Comb Slants (PBOCS).

This baby weighs in at a massive 16g, loaded! I spent four weeks with it, to dial it in. It was a fun and enjoyable experience (but a little scary on the first shave).

On moving back to a "normal weight" razor (after the PBOCS trial dial) I discovered that my technique had jumped up several notches. As you can imagine I was well pleased with myself.

I've done endless trialing (assisted by a good measure of RAD) since then, and have finally settled down to minimalism with ONE RAZOR (ideally weighted for me).

ShavePic1_2020-01-20.jpg

It's my RazoRock GC84 on a custom resin handle. Loaded, it weighs 45g. The loaded head weighs 30g and the 75mm (~3") handle weighs 15g. PERFECT (for me). :wink2:

Top Bottom