What's new

Weight of handle - how should it balance?

I bought a Game Changer several months ago and then I bought a Lupo. Both came with fairly heavy handles (about 74 grams). I never really got on that well with either razor. I mean I thought they were built beautifully and loved the craftsmanship, they just never really did it for me compared to other razors.

Then the other day I took the tiny, hollow handle from a vintage Gillette new and tried it on the Game Changer and the razor was transformed. That Gillette handle only weighs 25 grams compared to the Bulldog handle 80 grams.
1684787889595.png

I see that RazorRock sells a Titanium handle that is 48 grams and the Thin Bar handle at 40 grams. I may have to try those and see how they feel.

Meanwhile I have been using this Aluminum handle on the Lupo and really enjoying my shaves. This handle weighs 26-27 grams and is about the same size as the heavy bulldog handle.
1684787979853.png

I have a Mühle R41 GS with a really heavy handle and I love the shaves I get. But the R41 head is also quite heavy (this is the stainless GS version). Also the R41 shaves at a steep angle so I don't mind the weight of the handle. The Lupo has a really light head and shaves at a shallow angle so I'm guessing that may be why I'm liking the light weight handle so much with the Lupo.

People's balance preferences vary but if you enjoy the feel of the Gillette New then I think you will find the RR Thin Bar handle the perfect match for the Lupo or Game Changer heads. Of all my razors I always liked the balance and feel of my Long Comb New, somehow it just felt right. When I got my Lupo with the Thin Bar handle it immediately reminded me of the New but with even better balance.

To show my sincerity here is a photo of my three Lupos (58, 72, 95) all SB each sporting its own Thin Bar handle. Also my similarly shaped and balanced Gillette Canadian New Regent with most of its original coating gone but now with a kind of patina that I do enjoy. Finally also pictured are my other RR handles which for now remain headless due to my overwhelming preference for their Thin Bar brother.

Lupos and New.jpg

If there was perfect balance everyone loved, that would be the choice of every person, "the perfect balance razor", or what ever it was. I know from personal experience because having both Rotators in my Shoulders Torn, and Sever Arthritis in both hands.

What works perfect on Monday, don't fell good 7 days a week. I play Pool most Mondays, tonight my Right Shoulder is in pain, as I am left handed, and Right Arm & Finders of Right Hand get work out on Mondays.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Handles are interesting to figure out and buying different lengths and weights are up to the personal preference.
When using a SE razor you can get away with using a longer handle when ending the stroke at the bottom of the neck.
When using a aggressive razor that likes a steep angle(riding the bar) I prefer a short handle for quicker response and less leverage works the best for my shaving needs.
Balance is mostly figured out automatically by the operator using the handle and razor head while shaving IMO.

You know, it's an odd thing. While most seem to have a well defined preference for razor balance, I do not.

For example, I have an assortment of RR Game Changers and Lupos that I use regularly. I also have a mix of RR's handles that I freely interchange depending on my mood.

These handles include the usual RR heavyweights such as the Bulldog, Super Knurl, etc. I also use and enjoy their smaller Vintage handles, both the Thick and Thin variants.

I certainly notice and appreciate the different handling when I switch up from one to another. However, that difference never throws me off my technique and ends up being mostly anecdotal.

I see this as being in the same vein as blade choice, soap choice, etc. All my favorites get the job done, albeit somewhat differently.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
When I got my first razor, I noticed the balance was toward the handle. I didn't hate it but I can't say I enjoyed it. Then I saw @never-stop-learning switching his handles around on various three piece razors. I asked him about the Timeless Ti Crown handle in particular because I loved the way it looks. Based on his recommendation, I bought one and loved the way it looked, felt in my hand but perhaps most important to me was how it changed the balance more toward the head. The razor no longer felt heavy in my hand. The handle feel disappeared.

Now as we know, all of this is subjective. Some people here love a heavy razor feel in their hands and enjoy heavier handles. As was mentioned, there is no right or wrong here. It's all personal preference.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
When I got my first razor, I noticed the balance was toward the handle. I didn't hate it but I can't say I enjoyed it. Then I saw @never-stop-learning switching his handles around on various three piece razors. I asked him about the Timeless Ti Crown handle in particular because I loved the way it looks. Based on his recommendation, I bought one and loved the way it looked, felt in my hand but perhaps most important to me was how it changed the balance more toward the head. The razor no longer felt heavy in my hand. The handle feel disappeared.

Now as we know, all of this is subjective. Some people here love a heavy razor feel in their hands and enjoy heavier handles. As was mentioned, there is no right or wrong here. It's all personal preference.

After a ton of experimentation, I've settled on either Doug’s @Rosseforp's GTx handles in the ~80mm x ~14mm x ~25g - 30g range or a Ti handle of the same length and diameter.

Yes, I still like the Timeless Ti Crown TRH8 handle, even though it is >80mm long. ;)

Iridian

Cool and slimy
I prefer in general longer and heavier handles.

The 100mm barber pole for my Timeless Slim works nicely.

But for some rather petite heads like the Lupo, the lighter Timeless Ti Crown, which also has great grip, works better. I also like the Yaqi Milano handle for the Lupo clone.

One of my favorites, usually put by me on the Wunderbar and Superslant, is the Alpha/Executive Shaving Viper handle. Due to perfect knurling.

I tend to favour heavy handles that allow me to let the weight of the razor do the work on N to S strokes with almost minimal guidance and steering. Then, when working under the jawline, the mass of the razor is pulling it down and away from the skin, which helps to encourage a very light touch, as the razor naturally wants to fall away from the surface being shaved.

Overall though, I ain't too fussy - as long as it's heavy I am happy. Like @Iridian, I think the Alpha / ES handles are great for this. Here's the Outlaw and a Rocca V4 head on Alpha Sure-grip and Super-grip handles. They don't make a lot of handles, but the ones they do make are excellent imo, and they make these my two heaviest razors.

20230620_105439.jpg

Edit: I need to get some of that soap scum out of the lather channels on that Outlaw!

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I know when it was time to select my Wolfman WR2 handle, there were a lot of choices, so I ponied up and bought two of them: the Darwin and the 3/7 hybrid handle 90mm hollow... that gets both handles in the ~40 gram territory. That seems to be what I like so far.. the Timeless Ti Crown is 90mm long and 42 grams, I think.... I better check that. 42.7 grams. I had forgotten that .7 grams. The Darwin is 57 grams, but it doesn't feel like when I use it.

I can only speak for personal preference, and experience. I find that I am more comfortable with a heavy handle, so I do not seak balance, I prefer leverage. With short light razors, I put too much pressure unless I labor with constant attention to balance gliding the razor lightly with just right about if pressure. I don’t care what anyone tells you, if you have a Coarse beard like mine, you have to have some degree of pressure.
My preference is this setup. My R41 head on a stainless 97mm 100 gram handle. It’s smooth and I can just glide and not put any pressure.

4741FAB4-6FC1-4DA9-AC7E-3CF9921A9C72.jpeg

Top Bottom