What's new

Weekend 'deal' on Baracuta Harrington jackets in the UK

Just got an email about this. I'm not connected to the company in any way, just wanted to share. I've already got one, they run small in the sizing. Didn't buy from these guys though.

http://myatomretro.com/ZZG-3I729-A7AJWZLS76/cr.aspx

Was a toss up if to post this here, or in the deals forum. I'm sure Jason, our mod (all pun intended) will move the post if needed.

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
Funny that I just saw this thread. I also received an email today about a “sample” sale on Baracuta jackets from Mason & Sons (no affiliation) in England.

I already have a G9 in Navy that I purchased from O’Connell’s about 10+ ago but it is looking a bit worn so I have been in the Baracuta market as of late but was waiting to see if I could find one at a good price.

The prices of these jackets have really soared over the last decade and they are rarely on sale and the market seems flooded with knock-offs. .

The G9 usually retails for about $398-$429 on their website and sometimes they offer a 10-20% discount (which is still a bit on the pricey side).

Mason & Sons had them regularly listed at $320 which is a fairly good price and I would probably have pulled the trigger eventually.

But now with the “sample” sale listing them at $207, well I didn’t hesitate and ordered a Mist-colored G9 (as pictured below):

5E75847A-9507-4AE7-A7ED-8024D9B479B5.jpeg
385664ED-AE98-404A-920C-73F3DA87231D.jpeg

Now I don’t exactly know what a “sample” sale is but according to their website:

“We have a number of sample garments in our showrooms that we are now offering at a discount of 40%. Our Sample Sale offers a limited number of garments from our showrooms that we are about to replace.”

I’m guessing they were display models and hopefully have no imperfections.

I guess I’ll find out but for a total of $232 ($207 + $25 shipping from England), I’m willing to give it a shot.

:thumbup1:

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
That’s a nice alternative and timely too since it appears that Mason & Sons has sold out of the G9 jackets since this morning. 😳

Sample sale is just a synonym for overstock sale across the pond. I really wish I wasn't 6 years late for this sale!!

Last edited:

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
Sample sale is just a synonym for overstock sale across the pond. I really wish I wasn't 6 years late for this sale!!

Thanks for that explanation. :thumbup1:

Actually this sale is still taking place although their size selection has dwindled drastically since they announced the sale.

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
Perhaps this deal was too good to be true. After receiving an order confirmation on 7/4, I haven’t received any shipping info since then and two emails have gone unanswered. 🤨

Funny that I just saw this thread. I also received an email today about a “sample” sale on Baracuta jackets from Mason & Sons (no affiliation) in England.

I already have a G9 in Navy that I purchased from O’Connell’s about 10+ ago but it is looking a bit worn so I have been in the Baracuta market as of late but was waiting to see if I could find one at a good price.

The prices of these jackets have really soared over the last decade and they are rarely on sale and the market seems flooded with knock-offs. .

The G9 usually retails for about $398-$429 on their website and sometimes they offer a 10-20% discount (which is still a bit on the pricey side).

Mason & Sons had them regularly listed at $320 which is a fairly good price and I would probably have pulled the trigger eventually.

But now with the “sample” sale listing them at $207, well I didn’t hesitate and ordered a Mist-colored G9 (as pictured below):

View attachment 1291566View attachment 1291567

Now I don’t exactly know what a “sample” sale is but according to their website:

“We have a number of sample garments in our showrooms that we are now offering at a discount of 40%. Our Sample Sale offers a limited number of garments from our showrooms that we are about to replace.”

I’m guessing they were display models and hopefully have no imperfections.

I guess I’ll find out but for a total of $232 ($207 + $25 shipping from England), I’m willing to give it a shot.

:thumbup1:

I had the same Baracuta Jacket when I was in JHS in 1965. Asked my Dad about it and he said... pay half for it and it's yours. I did with my saved money and wore it till I outgrew the jacket. Haven't been reminded of it till now. Great jacket! Btw, cost $28.00 approx back then.

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
So the old adage about something “being too good to be true” applies here.

After several unanswered emails regarding the shipping of this item, I received an apologetic email from Mason & Sons this morning indicating that due to an “inventory glitch” this item is not available and therefore a refund is forthcoming. They also indicated that they are “embarrassed by the lack of response to my inquiries.

This was my first attempt to purchase from Mason & Sons and I am unimpressed with their customer service (or rather the lack thereof) and their hollow explanation.

They get 👎👎.

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
Not to be derailed, I found another sale on the Baracuta G9 at Stuarts London.

The same jacket was on sale for $252.95 (including shipping to US). This is approximately $20 more than the jacket I previously ordered that was cancelled but this is still a great price for this jacket.

I have not previously ordered from Stuarts London so hopefully I fare better with this transaction.

Interested to hear how Stuarts perform. I came across their site while looking for Sanders shoes but found the size I needed was in stock somewhere else. Apparently they’ve been around for a while so must be doing something right. They also seem to have an interesting range of “must haves”.

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
@blantyre

Same here. Stuarts and countryattire seem to carry some of the “must-haves” and although countryattire has great prices, it appears that more popular sizes are never in stock so it’s always a hit or miss proposition.

Stuarts has great variety and when they have a decent sale (as in the case of the Baracuta G9) it makes the shipping to the US negligible.

If this transaction goes smoothly with Stuarts, I got my eyes on a pair of Cityflex shoes by Astorflex. 🤪

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
Well… I just received a FedEx shipppng confirmation from Stuarts so that’s promising. 👍

I took a chance and sized up from a 46 to a 48 (for layering purposes) as my current G9 in size 46, although not too small, I wouldn’t think of wearing a light sweater underneath it.

I found a mention of the Baracuta G9 jacket from a poster, who also lived in York, PA where I attended JHS and bought and wore the jacket. His description is totally right on, about the jacket, experience and pricing. Brings back a ton of memories. 😉

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
I found a mention of the Baracuta G9 jacket from a poster, who also lived in York, PA where I attended JHS and bought and wore the jacket. His description is totally right on, about the jacket, experience and pricing. Brings back a ton of memories. 😉

Great article.

“In the face of persistent nagging, parents would make the fatal mistake of spending a far more reasonable nine dollars or so on an imitation, or 'fake'Baracuta. 'It looks just like the real thing,' they'd insist. It didn't. Not even close. Wrong lining, even though the average parent lacked the ability to tell Frazer Tartan from tartar sauce. And it didn't help that junior refused to
wear it. A fake was an invitation to public scorn, ridicule and humiliation.”

Classic. :lol:

That’s a great article. It made me realize that the Harrington that I had was a cheap knock off. No wonder I got picked on at school. I always thought it was because I wore glasses and liked science more than rugby. No, it was that darn jacket, I am sure!

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
Update:

Stuartslondon - tracking info says item to be delivered today. This was ordered on Sunday and shipped from London. 👍

Mason & Sons - I had to send another email asking about the status of the refund. If no response today, then I’ll go the way of PayPal dispute. 👎

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
So the G9 jacket arrived today from Stuarts. Took a chance on sizing up to 48 but unfortunately it is too big and it will have to go back and be exchanged for a Size 46. This means additional shipping charges but in the overall scheme of things, even with the additional shipping, the jacket is still a decent deal just not as good if I had ordered the correct size. Oh well. 🙄

On the Mason & Sons front, I did receive an email today once again apologizing for the abysmal customer service. They informed me that the refund has been processed (which was confirmed by PayPal).

But in addition to this apology, they indicated that in an effort to make amends for the debacle that was this transaction, that they would be sending a complimentary Peach Beach shirt (listed at $158) to make up for the poor customer service. I had previously inquired about this shirt which is a reproduction of shirt McQueen wore in The Thomas Crown Affair.

This is the shirt:

F735DB25-A3BE-4FDB-B513-CA1785B5FC34.jpeg

1626222269734.jpeg

48120BF3-EFC7-4AF8-80E0-6BBA92AA5812.jpeg

1626222360822.jpeg

If they in fact deliver on that offer, that is quite generous. Now if they also sent Faye Dunaway and the Meyers Manx dune buggy, that would be exceptional customer service.
B46A0396-B3CE-4324-B02B-3A0C032B69D2.jpeg

😀😎

Last edited:

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
Today I came home and Great Britain was on my doorstep.

The replacement G9 arrived today from Stuarts London and, as promised by Mason & Sons, the Beach Shirt arrived today as well. (I emailed Mason & Sons to express my gratitude for their generosity.)

They worked hard towards restoring my faith in their store and as a result of their effort, I will plan on doing business with them again in the future.

So this chapter is finally concluded…

The G9 Jacket by Baracuta

6D711D1B-BD09-476B-BDF7-F7BDA73427D6.jpeg

1DD15076-0CE8-48FA-AAED-3C9E95944932.jpeg

6EB78293-F407-493B-B101-0BB80E53A0E8.jpeg

…. and the Baracuta pin

05FB6505-1D35-420E-9DB6-BB131B6892CD.jpeg

The Peach Beach Shirt by Mason & Sons.

(The XL is a tad too big for me but the shirt is meant to worn loosely and untucked at the beach or poolside a lá Thomas Crown.)
FF331AD9-2FAD-4016-B03C-302B7A96631A.jpeg

26BCCD5D-B054-49DF-A724-485E63DEC84F.jpeg

DD182C00-877C-4668-AA65-83B7B3239C9D.jpeg

Now the beach shirt, I got.

Faye Dunaway and the dune buggy, I don’t got. 😀

Last edited:
Top Bottom