What's new

Wedge less Faux Tortoise scale Re-do

Straightening horn was a topic recently. It usually seems to surface at some point. Straightening them with the use of steam or boiling water, clamping overnight , flat plates in an oven and letting them cool etc.etc. are the usual methods suggested. I don't have time for that.
It seldom works.
i got this F. Reynolds in with faux Tortoise wedge less scales to restore. This will serve as a decent example of how using just heat can solve its issues.
This is also a good example simply because since they are translucent, and the fact that very little sanding/polishing can be done to them eliminates any chance I'd have of covering up an "OOPS" with sanding and polishing as I could on say a piece of black horn. There I could burn a section, sand it polish it and you'd never know the difference .
Here there is no room to fudge the results and fool you . It would show up in a heart beat.

Here is the razor. Basically in nice condition but as seems to always be the case the scales are twisted all over the place. Blade hits the scale. The warp is so bad it separates the wedge area. ( the wedge is cut into the scales) and they bow across their length.

In the 3rd shot notice the pin is still in place as the razor hasn't been broken down yet the wedge has pulled apart because of the warping.

in the 4th pic the razor is apart and I'm holding the wedge end together as it should be. The scales just splay way too much because of the warps. Some of this is due to the wedge design but the warp just in front of the " wedge" is causing problems.

In the last shot the outside surface of the scales should be straight. It's not. That's where I'll concentrate the heat for a localized bend. And then I'll take the bow out of each of the scales.

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 154
  • $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 153
  • $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 153
  • $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 152
  • $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 154
Last edited:
Here I heated that area and removed the bend. Just pinching the wedge together the scales are coming back to a more reasonable shape but the bow over their length remains.

I then resurfaced the wedge and removed the bows so they look more like useable scales.

in the last pic with the wedge now pinned and just pressing the hinge end together ( with a temp. pin) I can see the blade should align nicely.
After straightening bows the pin holes will most likely be off so just redrill them.

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 149
  • $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 149
  • $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 151
  • $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 151
The finished razor all pinned up. As you can see all the original faux tortoise design is still in place. I redid the wording with gold leaf paint and was able to get a decent shine on them. Plus the wedge now has a nice tight fit with te blade being centered once again.

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 150
  • $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 149
  • $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 149
  • $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 149
  • $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 151
Glad you like your razor Scott. There is something to be said for an original looking restored razor with the correct scales. Granted if the scales were shot build new ones. I'm all for it. But how many of these are in nice enough condition to continue in use. Save them if you can. There are plenty of trashed ones and plenty of blades to make other scales for.

Last edited:
Like always, mycarver's craftsmanship and willingness to share his knowledge is amazing. Thanks for sharing :001_smile

BTW, I'm halfway through my scale making project, with the very good input form you, just thought I'll let you know :001_smile

Thanks again guys and you're welcome.
Cachorro, I'm looking forward to seeing your scales. Keep at it!

Top Bottom