What's new

wedge issue

Sent my Wester Bros out for rescaling (Florida) and received a botched result -- blade strikes scales when closing. Unable to resolve with surly provider. I need a thicker wedge to redo the scales myself but have been unable to locate a source. I don't have the tools to make my own wedge.

Anyone know where wedges can be ordered? Thanks.

Check ebay for folks who do diy scale sets, or put a wtb on the bst here, to ask for a wedge. Masecraft probably has some small pieces you could buy.

To make a wedge, you could probably do it with some W/D if you have a reasonable fit to begin with. You’ll also need the pins/washers.

Wedge Angles are important in scale shape, but maybe its the pivot that is a problem. How can you be sure its the wedge?

It's really clear from physical exam that the blade would close without touching the scale side if the wedge was a bit thicker. The scales are Dovo, purchased with rescaling.

I'm new here--what is W/D? Thanks much.

It's really clear from physical exam that the blade would close without touching the scale side if the wedge was a bit thicker. The scales are Dovo, purchased with rescaling.

I'm new here--what is W/D? Thanks much.

Is the wedge really a wedge or is it a spacer (not a wedge). Can you post a pic?

These may help. Appears to be a plastic wedge (spacers being round?).
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg

If you want tackle it on your own you can use the same wedge.
The wedge being bigger will help some but it is not closing center and that is the problem.
Its hard to tell from these photos but if the blade is straight and the scales are straight then some judicious sanding where needed should fix it for you.
Many times you can correct this by sanding from the pivot hole to the end thinning it a bit on one scale and sanding the other from the pivot hole toward the wedge on the other.
Envision where the blade wants to go when closed and you will see which scale gets sanded where.
Hope this is understandable.

Thanks s&s. I think too much space is involved for sanding--I'd have to alter one scale to a visibly concave inner surface. It seems my best strategy would be to increase the space somehow, or change scales. The blade is straight; honed and shaves well. The scales are Dovo and appear straight. I guess the lesson here is that not all 5/8 razors have the same fit in scales. And to do your own scaling: the provider was a donkey when I contacted him.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
From the look of things, particularly the last photo, the scales do not look warped. Your problem appears to be that the hole for the pivot pin was not drilled square to the flat inner surfaces of the scales.

The blade aligns at 90deg to the pivot pin centreline. If the pivot pin hole is not dead square with the flat inner surface of the scales, the blade will not close centrally within the scales.

I don't think it's a wedge problem (although your "wedge" looks more like a spacer).

The only way that I know of to fix this (keeping the same scales) would be to unpin, fill the pivot pin hole with say epoxy (preferably colour matched to the scales), lot the epoxy set, redrill the pivot pin hole correctly and then reassemble.

There may be other ways that I don't know about.

Last edited:
From the look of things, particularly the last photo, the scales do not look warped. Your problem appears to be that the hole for the pivot pin was not drilled square to the flat inner surfaces of the scales.

The blade aligns at 90deg to the pivot pin centreline. If the pivot pin hole is not dead square with the flat inner surface of the scales, the blade will not close centrally within the scales.

I don't think it's a wedge problem (although your "wedge" looks more like a spacer).

The only way that I know of to fix this (keeping the same scales) would be to unpin, fill the pivot pin hole with say epoxy (preferably colour matched to the scales), lot the epoxy set, redrill the pivot pin hole correctly and then reassemble.

There may be other ways that I don't know about.

The scales are purchased Dovo scales which normally come pre-drilled.
Some blades just have this problem, usually from the grinding of the blank.
Best to deal with it by removing part of the scale where it is pushing the razor in that direction.

The wedge is not the problem. Assuming that the scales are symmetrical, the problem is at the tang. It can be fixed by taking steel away in front of the pivot on the 'show' side and behind the pivot on the 'bad' side. This can be done by shaping the scales as stone and strop mentioned, but then if the razor is re scaled the problem presents itself again.

Thanks all. Its clear from inspecting after your feedback that the scales were not properly aligned when drilled. I don't think the tang is an issue as this was a vintage 5/8 razor fully fitting the scales it came with and could fit the Dovo scales if drilled properly. Simply a bad transaction which most of us experience at some time.

Legion

Staff member
It is quite possible the tang of the razor has a slight warp. It only has to be quite minor to cause this issue. In the past I have corrected it by using a washer on the inside of the scales on one side only.

Dont forget that if you get too big a spacer or wedge, then you risk the scale gap being too wide and the razor falling through.

It looks like the wedge isnt the main problem, although it is only slightly wedgy.
Does the razor support itself when open? Not fall back into the scales?

I wonder if you could change the angle of the wedge and it might give you a little space inside the scales.

Relatively an easy fix.

A thicket wedge is not the answer, the wedge needs to be thick/thin enough to allow the blade to sit at the right height on the scales when closed and an actual wedge to allow proper function.

If the wedge is not glued in, you can elongate all the holes slightly, then when pinning you can selectively strike the pins to move the blade into place.

You can also add a thicker internal washer, this might be all you need.

You can also sand the inside of the scales and move the blade that way.

risky alternative that I've employed:

sometimes applying slight pressure on the shank in the direction you want blade movement will work. I believe this slightly tweaks the pin and re-aligns it to center. gently re-peen the pivot pin to adjust tension on the blade again because it will be out of wack.

use this advice at your own risk. I'm only sharing what has worked for me because I've had to do this a couple if times. this will fix a slight off center.

off hand I know I've done this with my Wade & Butcher and one of the nicer Torrey's that I have.

camo

Last edited:
Top Bottom