What's new

Wedge blade compatibility

I have a Gem Jr. Bar that I'm really enjoying, even on a fresh PTFE blade. It has me curious to try with a wedge. Do I need a specific one to fit?

I expect the various ASR/Gem/Kampfe/Star blades all built to a similar spec and will work. Will the Heljestrand or Henckels?

What about a Wilkinson (not the tiny Empire models obviously, the full sized Pall Mall / Dunhill?) I think I saw those were compatible with ASR wedges, but maybe that only works one way and I can't use a Pall Mall blade in my Gem?

I’d also like to know a bit more about wedge blades and there association to various razors. I’m thinking that any of the ASR brands may be interchangeable, but what about unrelated brands and their wedges.
Were there companies that made cheaper aftermarket wedge blades?
I have an Ever-ready lather catcher that came with an unknown, to me, branded blade. It seems to fit a little loosely and did not provide the best of shaves.
425CEA8B-BB86-408A-B2F0-726DD0AC4D6C.jpeg

Found this bit of info:
The original blade of the Pall Mall is just slightly longer than along the blade edge and shorter from front to back and so it won't take the standard Kampfe/Henckels wedge blades. Definitely a very good vintage Gem blade.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
If your having problems finding Wedge blades for the Gem Jr bar you could just Zip cut with a grinder a straight razor that has the same width as a Gem blade.(Lucky dollar straight razors are cheap)
The first Star safety razors were basically a short version of a straight razor held in their razor, Gem early models followed that path also.
I have a Star bar #4 Mfg from 1919-20 and it came with a wedge blade. So folks were still using wedge blades in the 1920's even with double edge and single disposable blades available.
Star Catcher 1919 no4 model (2).jpg
Star bar 1.4.jpg

Have some great shaves!

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
The challenge is honing those thing up. They make holders for them, but I never found one.

Top Bottom