What's new

Wedding Day Shave

It's Wedding season, and even though I'm not married and don't plan to be in the very near future, I'm curious what everyone would hypothetically choose on the day of their own wedding.

If you were getting married in one week, and could plan and prepare for THE Wedding day "Safety Razor" shave, what would you do? Note: for those who are already married, and to whom the mental and physical risks of imagining bachelorhood are minimal, please feel free to play along.

So...

1. How many days (or hours) growth would you ideally want on the morning of the shave?

2. What razor would you use?

3. What shaving cream or soap?

4. What blade would you use?

5. How many days of previous use would the blade have or would you use a new blade?

6. What aftershave would you use?

7. What cologne?

8. Are there any other sacred shaving rituals or products you would include?

This is a very real dillemma that I'm facing at the moment. The only thing is that I like my straight shaves better (and am better at them with fewer nicks and cuts) so I'd to it with one of those. I'll compensate by giving some honing information however.

1) At LEAST 24 hours of growth since with longer hair the shave turns out nicer.

2) I'd use a 4/8 shumate barbers special

3) Most likely I'll be using TGQ orange Patchouli shaving cream.

4) The blade will not be honed recently but maintained bu stropping daily before AND after each shave.

5) As an aftershave I'll be using TAGMSC aftershave balm as it is nice yet light in scent and soothes VERY well.

6) I'll be using either Trumpers Sandalwood cologne or Kelvin Klein's Obsession Night which I found out that I liked and bought a small bottle of. (it hasn't arrived yet so I'll wait to see when it gets here.)

Other than that it's just the shower before/ hot followed by cold water treatment that I do.

But I've been thinking about this for a while since my own wedding is coming up in less than 2 weeks (the 6th of july)

1. How many days (or hours) growth would you ideally want on the morning of the shave?
One day's worth.

Merkur Vision

Trumper Violets

Tesco

5. How many days of previous use would the blade have or would you use a new blade?
None

Trumper's Coral Skin Food

7. What cologne?
Penhaligon Blenhiem Bouquet

That said, I'd probably get a straight shave at a barbers.

Bartelby said:
About 1 - 1.5 days of growth.

Bartelby said:
At the moment I own only one razor - so it looks like it will probably be my Merkur HD. Unless, of course, somebody wants to give me an adjustable Merkur as a wedding present! :smile:

Bartelby said:
At the moment I am leaning towards T&H West Indian Limes or perhaps AOS lemon.

Bartelby said:
As with most of my wetshaving gear, I am limited in my choice of blades. I have access to Merkurs, Personnas and (North American) Gillettes. It will be one of these, but I can't say for certain which one.

Bartelby said:
I only get about 2 shaves from a blade before it feels dull and pulls. That said, I'll opt for a new blade.

Bartelby said:
Well, I love my "milky" Proraso balm but Baxters would go well with lemons or limes.

Bartelby said:
7. What cologne?
Probably T&H West Indian Limes. It doesn't last long, but it does smell great.

Bartelby said:
I expect that it will be the typical pre/post shave treatments for me (shower before, cold water & WH after but before the AS balm).

LX_Emergency said:
This is a very real dillemma that I'm facing at the moment...

Like LX, this is a very real situation - but I don't need to worry about the wedding day shave until the 19th of August. However, the wedding is approximately 2700 km from my present "home" and I'll have to be on the road for about a month +/-, so I probably won't have too much selection for that special day.

Excellent post/questions!

I get my best shaves when I shave every day - 24 hours worth of growth would be my optimal number.

I would have to go with a tried and true classic - the Merkur HD.

This is truly a tough call. I think I would go with one of my first two true loves - Taylor's Rose or Taylor's Avocado.

Without a doubt, a Derby Extra.

I get consistently good performance from the Derby's so anywhere from brand new to 5 or 6 days old would be fine.

Lately I have been really enjoying the combined use of witch hazel with Proraso post. Also, anytime I'm wearing a collared shirt, I also dust on some Pinaud Shave Talc. The talc would also adequately kill any head or face "shine" and would make me a little more photogenic.

7. What cologne?
I would probably go with a classic scent like Sandalwood.

I would build my lather in a bowl with either my Simpson's PJ3 (first choice) or my 26mm Shavemac Silvertip.

Probably 24 hours, as I get a closer shave

Trumper's Coconut Oil in a bowl

Dovo 5/8 my grandfather gave me

I don't know that I'd pay much attention to that, however it fit into the scheme of things.

I don't use any

7. What cologne?

Aqua di Gio

Dance naked in front of the mirror (after having first put my razor down...Yikes!)

S

Sam

I find my skin and beard react best if I just shave every day. No sense risking irritation or nicks.

Normal set up, Fatboy Gillette with Feather blade.

Castle Forbes, limes or lavendar

Feather blade, all I use.

Just the normal rotation.

Thayers Witch Hazel, Natureade 80 aloe gel followed about 30 mins later with Coral Skin Food

7. What cologne?

My wife loves Creed Green Irish Tweed

8. Are there any other sacred shaving rituals or products you would include?[/QUOTE]

May use the Feather straight to get super close/

Sam

12 hours. My face is accustomed to being shaved twice a day.

Custom straight razor created for the day.

Taylor's Mr. Taylor Shaving Cream or a custom MB soap.

Dr. Harris Pink Aftershave Splash

7. What cologne?
Creed's Bois du Portugal

I would have a custom straight razor and brush created for the day. They would be proudly displayed in the shaving den to only be used on following anniversaries. It would be an heirloom to be passed down to a child or grandchild.

15 years ago I missed the opportunity. I will however be doing this for our 25th anniversary which gives me ten years to design it. :biggrin:

Excellent Topic!

Rik said:
12 hours. My face is accustomed to being shaved twice a day.

Custom straight razor created for the day.

Taylor's Mr. Taylor Shaving Cream or a custom MB soap.

Dr. Harris Pink Aftershave Splash

7. What cologne?
Creed's Bois du Portugal

I would have a custom straight razor and brush created for the day. They would be proudly displayed in the shaving den to only be used on following anniversaries. It would be an heirloom to be passed down to a child or grandchild.

15 years ago I missed the opportunity. I will however be doing this for our 25th anniversary which gives me ten years to design it. :biggrin:

Excellent Topic!

Based on your last soap order, by then it should be time to re-order from Mama Bear, so maybe a custom soap as well! :lol:

Randy

2 days growth gives me my best shave results.

Vision.

Hmm. . .a toughie--probably C&E Sweet Almond Oil.

Derby. . .or Feather. . .or. . .:biggrin:

Day #2.

CAR peppermint ASB.

7. What cologne?

Summer wedding--Taylor #74 limes.
Winter wedding--NB Butch parfum.

I'd abstain from sex for 1 hour before the ceremony. :tongue: :tongue: :tongue:

2 days

1940's SuperSpeed

Probably the old formulation of Taylors Avocado.

Derby

C&E Nomad ASB

7. What cologne?

Whatever she likes. In my wife's case, I'd have to use Issey Miyake L'eau D'Issey.

I'd shave standing on my head singing Ava Maria. OK. Maybe not.

29 years ago in August,
I shaved twice a day (still do)

My razor then was a Gillette HD adjustable set to 9 (or beyond) and is still my 'go-to razor'
Blades were the Shick Platinums
Soap was Old Spice
Brush was a cheap Boar bristle
and my A/S was Old Spice (and cologne)
..... Old Spice still turns her on.... :lol:

Today I might use a str8 razor, Old Spice cream, Moss Scuttle, XL220 Badger hair brush and Taylors Sandalwood A/S gel and cologne, as she likes it too! :001_rolle

- Gramps

Very cool. Have you been a wet shaver for that long or, like most, did you take a brief hiatus between then and now?

No Kyle,

Always been a wetshaver...

since I was 10 years old. Learned with a str8 on the farm.

tried a 2 bladed plastic thing once,, not my cup of tea.

Always used str8s or the Gillettes

- Gramps

That is really neat. There certainly aren't many gents that can make those claims. Man would I like to have even a 10th of the knowledge that you've gained through that kind of experience.

Congratulations to both LX and NMMB on your approaching weddings!

And also to Rik for his steadfast enthusiasm. :001_smile

Gramps said:
29 years ago in August,
I shaved twice a day (still do)

My razor then was a Gillette HD adjustable set to 9 (or beyond) and is still my 'go-to razor'
Blades were the Shick Platinums
Soap was Old Spice
Brush was a cheap Boar bristle
and my A/S was Old Spice (and cologne)
..... Old Spice still turns her on.... :lol:

Today I might use a str8 razor, Old Spice cream, Moss Scuttle, XL220 Badger hair brush and Taylors Sandalwood A/S gel and cologne, as she likes it too! :001_rolle

- Gramps
Very cool!

Kyle said:
That is really neat. There certainly aren't many gents that can make those claims. Man would I like to have even a 10th of the knowledge that you've gained through that kind of experience.

My thoughts exactly! How cool that you had this experience at such a young age and stuck with it.

Like a good marriage, we just don't see many that last this long nowadays.:redface:

mrob said:
...Like a good marriage, we just don't see many that last this long nowadays.:redface:

Mitch,

I don't know if that is a encouraging comment for the "wedding day shave" thread. Ah, hell... I'll just take it as a challenge! :001_smile

Top Bottom