What's new

Weck Wednesdays

Has any one tried to change the scales in a weck sextoblade?
Although I've never done it myself, it should be no different than rescaling a regular straight Pop over to the Straight Razor Restoration forum here on B&B for lots of experts and rescaling posts.

Apr 24: Weck Wednesday

Lather: RazoRock Zi' Peppino
Brush: Omega 0196745 BLACK Hi-Brush (24/56mm)
Razor: Weck Wecprep Medical Sextoblade w/guard
Blade: Personna Hair Shaper [43]
Balm: Chatillon Lux Colonia Balsamica Salve

I was bored yesterday and stropped some of my straights. I looked at the big metal Sextoblade and thought why not. After 42 shaves on this blade it can’t hurt.

50 laps on cotton webbing and 50 on leather and the shave was butter. I’m probably not going to make stropping disposable blades a habit, but it’s nice to know that it works.

May 8: Fine Fresh Vetiver on Weck Wednesday

Lather: Fine Fresh Vetiver
Brush: Zenith B07-EURO bleached boar (24/57mm)
Razor: Hess 1010 "EZY Shave"
Blade: Personna Hair Shaper [44]

Used the EZY Shave today, AKA Weck Sextoblade 2.0. The Hair Shaper blade seems to have fallen off a cliff since my last shave. 44 shaves is a great run, and it is time to retire it with honors.

Metal Medical Corps Sextoblade on this Weck Wednesday.
Gave myself a small nick while addressing the soul patch area...but otherwise a very nice outing.

Got too aggressive on Weck Wednesday yesterday trying to get my trouble spot on the throat clean.
The result: two visible red lines and a bit of burn. Not good.

Back on the horse this Weck Wednesday.
I was careful not to get too greedy and results were much better.
Carelessness still caused a slight nick on the upper lip, though.

I keep forgetting to round off the corners on a new blade for my Sextoblade, so I've skipped a few Wednesdays. Gotta fix that.

Jun 23: First Shave with Fromm Blade

Lather: Gillette Pure Shaving Cream
Razor: Weck Wecprep Medical Sextoblade
Blade: Fromm Edge Ahead [1]
Balm: Aqua Velva Sensitive 5 in 1
Pomade: Lockhart's Goon Grease

I know it's not Wednesday, but I finally rounded the corners of a new blade, so I decided to use the Sextoblade.

It was my first shave with the Fromm Edge Ahead "Japanese Steel" blades, having exclusively used the Personnas till now in all my Weck-type razors. This blade felt buttery smooth, not harsh like the Personnas. Great 4-pass shave, but when I decided to do an alum test, it burned everywhere. Oh well - that's what post-shave products are for.

Jul 4: Weck Thursday

Lather: XPEC Original Shaving Cream
Blade: Fromm Edge Ahead [3]

Using a Weck on a Thursday - why not? Today's shave was ultra smooth with the still newish blade. I had a little trouble lathering the XPEC though, but not because of the soap itself. The piece that's left in the salsa bowl was only about dime size in diameter, so it was hard to pick up much soap. I maybe have one shave left, and I've squished the remains down into a paper-thin maybe loonie sized blob for next time.

Jul 10: All-Italian Weck Wednesday

Lather: Proraso White (green tea and oatmeal)
Brush: Mondial vintage synthetic (24/50mm)
Blade: Fromm Edge Ahead [5]
Splash: Floid Blue with lots of added menthol

Today's shave was all-Italian (except for the Sextoblade ;-) Three passes and no hint of irritation. I think it's official - I prefer these Fromm Edge Ahead blades to the Personna Hair Shapers.

Jul 24: Weck Wednesday

Lather: Stirling Gentleman
Brush: Proraso Professional (27/57mm)
Blade: Fromm Edge Ahead [8]

Ahhh - Weck Sextoblade with this Fromm blade is a combo that's hard to beat. Quick, totally safe, very efficient, and zero irritation. I'm liking the Stirling Gentleman scent a lot.

Aug 1: Weck Wednesday on a Thursday

Lather: Stirling Gentleman
Brush: RazoRock Plissoft "Disruptor" (22/52mm)
Blade: Fromm Edge Ahead [9]
Balm: Chatillon Lux Colonia Balsamica Salve

Hmmm ... the Disruptor is definitely more my preference than the Yaqi Cashmere. Less springy.

I should have used the Sextoblade yesterday, but forgot. Oh well - today’s shave made up for it.

Aug 14: Weck Wednesday

Lather: Saponificio Varesino Felce Aromatica
Brush: Semogue 1800 (22/55mm)
Razor: Weck Hair Shaper (cobalt blue) w/guard
Blade: Fromm Edge Ahead [11]

I haven't used the baby Weck in a long time. It's still a less enjoyable experience than the full-sized Sextoblades for me because of the reach. Despite using the same blade as its full-sized cousin, the Hair Shaper is shorter, which means it feels cramped and has less reach. I always get lather on my fingers when shaving the back half of my cheeks near the sideburn area.

Saponificio Varesino is still a damn good soap, and being triple-milled, this puck will outlast me if I keep using it only once every couple of months. It doesn't lather as profusely as some other soaps, but the lather just works for me.

Weck Wednesday!

Weck Hair Shaper, green scales, no guard
Fromm Edge Ahead blade
Omega Bigger Bambino boar brush
RazoRock Orange Sunrise soap
Osma alum block
Dickinson's witch hazel for AS

As I started the shave I was doubtful. The razor felt awkward and I was having trouble getting the right angle. Before long I settled down and ended up with an excellent two-pass shave. The small size of the hair shaper makes it a bit fiddly. Someday I'll try a full size Sextoblade.

Well, I did it. Against my better judgment I got the Sextoblade I bought a couple months ago out of the back of the drawer for a second attempt (let's just say the first attempt took some time to recover from.) This one is a full size with black bakelite scales and no guard. Put the Annie blade back in, used my maximum glide products (shaving oil and brushless cream) and shaved my cheeks, three WTG passes on each side.

Not very efficient but I did take down the hair this time. Only one nick on my left cheek. Styptic handled that immediately. Finished up with the Gillette. No burn from the splash today.

Man, I don't know. It's not too shocking to me that using a safety razor took off the way it did when they were invented. This is difficult.

Well, I did it. Against my better judgment I got the Sextoblade I bought a couple months ago out of the back of the drawer for a second attempt (let's just say the first attempt took some time to recover from.) This one is a full size with black bakelite scales and no guard. Put the Annie blade back in, used my maximum glide products (shaving oil and brushless cream) and shaved my cheeks, three WTG passes on each side.

Not very efficient but I did take down the hair this time. Only one nick on my left cheek. Styptic handled that immediately. Finished up with the Gillette. No burn from the splash today.

Man, I don't know. It's not too shocking to me that using a safety razor took off the way it did when they were invented. This is difficult.
Honestly thats why i like keeping the guard on it. Also did you blunt the corners?

Top Bottom