What's new

Weck Wednesdays

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
Ahhhh Mike (@Saxonbowman ), I just realized that yours is a Hair Shaper....as you pointed out in your post and as it says right there on the spine....man, my brain is getting old and lazy. I don't think there are too many differences between the "hair shaper" and the "sextoblade" -- maybe in length (I think the hair shaper is a little shorter). I have a small'ish hair shaper that I really like. It takes the personna blade, but the handle is bit shorter than the "sexto".

Ahhhh Mike (@Saxonbowman ), I just realized that yours is a Hair Shaper....as you pointed out in your post and as it says right there on the spine....man, my brain is getting old and lazy. I don't think there are too many differences between the "hair shaper" and the "sextoblade" -- maybe in length (I think the hair shaper is a little shorter). I have a small'ish hair shaper that I really like. It takes the personna blade, but the handle is bit shorter than the "sexto".
I should probably get a real Sextoblade at some point. If this one came with a guard I've misplaced it. The hair shaper guards point the wrong way for shaving if I remember right.

Do the hair shapers take the same blade as the Sextoblade?

Flintstone65

I should probably get a real Sextoblade at some point. If this one came with a guard I've misplaced it. The hair shaper guards point the wrong way for shaving if I remember right.
You're right....I put mine in a small vise and just "redirected" the bend.
Do the hair shapers take the same blade as the Sextoblade?
They do indeed. I use the same Personna blades in my new'ish Hair Shaper as I do for my vintage Sextoblade. Here are a couple of shots of each:

A traditional Sextoblade
proxy.php

A traditional Sextoblade with my "Hair Shaper" open comb guard (after it was re-bent). Please ignore the Barnum next to it, but it is a very nice razor in it's own right.
proxy.php

1960's style Hair Shaper
proxy.php

Different looking scales, and the "ice blue" handled hair shaper is actually shorter in length than the cream and black handled Sextoblades, but they all use the same modern "hair shaper" blades. Hope this helps.

You're right....I put mine in a small vise and just "redirected" the bend.

They do indeed. I use the same Personna blades in my new'ish Hair Shaper as I do for my vintage Sextoblade. Here are a couple of shots of each:

A traditional Sextoblade
proxy.php

A traditional Sextoblade with my "Hair Shaper" open comb guard (after it was re-bent). Please ignore the Barnum next to it, but it is a very nice razor in it's own right.
proxy.php

1960's style Hair Shaper
proxy.php

Different looking scales, and the "ice blue" handled hair shaper is actually shorter in length than the cream and black handled Sextoblades, but they all use the same modern "hair shaper" blades. Hope this helps.

Actually that does help. good to know about the blades.

I never thought of redirecting the guard on the hair shaper. I don't remember if mine came with one or not but I can't find it in any case. My hair shaper is small and fiddly which is one reason I have trouble shaving with it, not that I have much experience with straights.

Flintstone65

Actually that does help. good to know about the blades.

I never thought of redirecting the guard on the hair shaper. I don't remember if mine came with one or not but I can't find it in any case. My hair shaper is small and fiddly which is one reason I have trouble shaving with it, not that I have much experience with straights.
My hair shaper is on the small side as well. The Sextoblade has a handle length much more akin to an SR. And if you can find a Sextoblade with a guard -- they do seem to get lost over the years -- I think the Sexto's guard (which is more of a "safety bar" type guard) is much nicer to use than a modified hair shaper guard.

Gents - I hope I'm posting this question in the right place (let me know if not). I had my first shave with a Weck and loved it! A few quick questions for you Weck experts. 1. Do you prefer Kismet or Persona blades in the Weck? 2. How many shaves do you get out of each (ballpark), and 3. Where is the best place to buy Kismet blades and how much do they run for ballpark. Thanks!

Flintstone65

Gents - I hope I'm posting this question in the right place (let me know if not). I had my first shave with a Weck and loved it! A few quick questions for you Weck experts. 1. Do you prefer Kismet or Persona blades in the Weck? 2. How many shaves do you get out of each (ballpark), and 3. Where is the best place to buy Kismet blades and how much do they run for ballpark. Thanks!
I've heard great things about Kismet blades and always wanted to try one; but unless you live in or near Deutschland (i.e., Germany), you're sort of stuck with the 'bay as a source, and they are on the expensive side. The Personna blades have treated me right (as have the Fromm), and I can find them easily here in the U.S.

As to the number of shaves, I haven't done a scientific counting, but I'd safely estimate 8 to 10 (closer to 10+ really) for the Personna's.

I've heard great things about Kismet blades and always wanted to try one; but unless you live in or near Deutschland (i.e., Germany), you're sort of stuck with the 'bay as a source, and they are on the expensive side. The Personna blades have treated me right (as have the Fromm), and I can find them easily here in the U.S.

As to the number of shaves, I haven't done a scientific counting, but I'd safely estimate 8 to 10 (closer to 10+ really) for the Personna's.
Thanks so much. 10+ is great. Similar to a GEM for me.

Thanks so much. 10+ is great. Similar to a GEM for me.
The only place as they have said is eBay stateside. I have been trying the Kismets, I seem to prefer them over Fromm but the are much more .40cents vs 1.50 ish per blade. I'm looking for a se Weck safety razor now lol. They are hard to find.

The only place as they have said is eBay stateside. I have been trying the Kismets, I seem to prefer them over Fromm but the are much more .40cents vs 1.50 ish per blade. I'm looking for a se Weck safety razor now lol. They are hard to find.
yes the weck SE safety razors are hard to find. I have looked on and off for about 2 years now and still havent gotten one..

Weck Wednesday once again!

Fourth shave with this Fromm blade in the Weck Hair Shaper. I think I'm finding some better shaving angles. I pitched the blade after this one though. It started to drag and I didn't want it to catch.

Another Weck Wednesday!

I tried the hair shaper with a guard. More info when I can upload some pics. It seemed easier to control but with only one side available for shaving it requires some gymnastics to reach all of my face.

The topic seems to have died out.
I want to ask about Dubl Duck Lifetime Straight Razor Solingen.
Has anyone had experience shaving with such a rare razor ?
Will a standard blade Personna Hair Shaper Blades ( Weck ) fit this razor only with the back removed ?

1.jpg
3.jpg

Dave himself

Wee Words of Wisdom
First Post here. I'll just be doing a Weck whenever, as I'm just having to much fun with this new to me razor. Third shave with the Weck and im definitely in love. Tonight's shave was 3 passes and some touch ups. No nicks, wheepers with only slight irritation on one small part of my neck.

Razor= Weck Sextoblade
Blade= Personna Hair Shaper
Brush= Yaqi Synthetic
Soap= Speick shave stick
Aftershave= Speick

20240409_210320.jpg

Top Bottom