What's new

Weck Wednesdays

Weck Wednesday May 10

Could this be the best shaver in my den? YES!

Weck Milady

Incredible 2-pass with touch up today.

proxy.php

Weckdate: Wednesday May 10, 2017

Is it possible that razor makers today overthink the whole shaving enterprise? I got a superior Weck shave today from the least fanciest razor I own. Minimalist design, just a piece of stamped and folded metal. The Weck shaving community has a tightly held secret, it's called the Weck Prep.

Another great Weck Wednesday. Old Feather Custom (originally designed to take a Feather Cut blade but modified to take a Weck), Dragon's Blood Goat Milk Soap, and a Vie-Long horse hair brush. Couldn't get better than that!

DSC01517.JPG

And yes, @Feather-man, I am just waiting for the Weck blade to get discovered again. Last year they discovered the Feather AC, this year they are discovering the Gem. Hopefully it won't be long now, but it would really be hard to beat the old stuff.

Another Wednesday with the Prep. The blade is at 3 shave and have really smoothed out.
Funny, after using the General and El Jefe, even the RX, this razor just seems so simple and minimalistic. Received a great shave!

I WECK'd today as well...three shaves on the blade I'm going to see how long it lasts before the shave degrades. I bet it will be over a dozen.

Remember- in the shaving world- "You better WECK your face before you WRECK your face". Lol

Weck Wednesday and finally my Dovo Shavette with the green insert got called up to the plate. Not quite as good as my other Wecks, but it uses a Weck/Personna blade and so shave was great. I also found a place to put my HSC shaving soaps in my rotation. Works great with the Wecks as it is a rich soap with healthy ingredients.

DSC01554.JPG

Weck Wednesday and finally my Dovo Shavette with the green insert got called up to the plate. Not quite as good as my other Wecks, but it uses a Weck/Personna blade and so shave was great. I also found a place to put my HSC shaving soaps in my rotation. Works great with the Wecks as it is a rich soap with healthy ingredients.

View attachment 789867

I was thinking about getting one with the green blade holder like that- if you think it is not as good as a sextoblade I won't waste my money :)

I was thinking about getting one with the green blade holder like that- if you think it is not as good as a sextoblade I won't waste my money :)
The positive of the Dovo is that the green blade holder shields most of the blade and leaves just the cutting edge, not unlike the Hess (and I am still sorry I guided you to a defective one). It does give a good shave like any Weck blade will. My problem with it is that it is very light and an odd shape and so it does not give you the "real" razor feel like a Sextoblade or Hess or Milady. It's size feels more like the Weck hair shaper, but the odd handle takes some getting used to. The real munus is that blade changing is a real PITA. You need to slide out the insert, open it up and put a new blade in and slide it back in. However, as you are experimenting with how much shave you can get from a blade, you will probably have to do it only a couple of times a year, unless it becomes your daily shaver.

Oh yeah, forgot to tell you - if you get one, go all out and get this one.
Amazon.com: Dovo Shavette Straight Razor - Beautiful OliveWood Handle: Beauty
It looks like it might solve the odd shape problem.

Okay, now that Weck Wednesday is starting to pick up (up to four from two), I got two new old Wecks which I hope to post pics of tomorrow. In the mean time, I came across this guy last week. Before there was the Milady and before the Milady became the Surgical Prep, there was this guy - the New Weck (not to be confused with the Gillette New). Up until last week I have seen only a drawing of it in the Safety Razor Compendium.

od weck2.jpg
old weck1.jpg
old weck3.jpg

And no, I didn't win the bid. Seems I tried to snipe it at $80 and it sold for $125. Oh well, another razor to put on my list.

Okay, now that Weck Wednesday is starting to pick up (up to four from two), I got two new old Wecks which I hope to post pics of tomorrow. In the mean time, I came across this guy last week. Before there was the Milady and before the Milady became the Surgical Prep, there was this guy - the New Weck (not to be confused with the Gillette New). Up until last week I have seen only a drawing of it in the Safety Razor Compendium.

View attachment 790325 View attachment 790326 View attachment 790327

And no, I didn't win the bid. Seems I tried to snipe it at $80 and it sold for $125. Oh well, another razor to put on my list.
giphy (3).gif

Wow! I had no idea this even existed!
This is the first time I seen a real one (or pics of a real one). Apparently, like a lot of old safety razors in the early days, this one dropped the base plate when you unscrew the knob at the bottom. No wonder they went with a friction hook with the later models.

Okay, got two more Wecks for Weck Wednesday.

MAY 2017 Scores

Don't know how I went so long without getting these two. @Sdm84, you already knew this since you have one, but the Medical Prep is HUGE - like the size of a Sextoblade and about 50% heavier. Definitely straight razor replacement stuff. Don't know which goes up to bat on Wednesday.

MAY 2017 Scores

Don't know how I went so long without getting these two. @Sdm84, you already knew this since you have one, but the Medical Prep is HUGE - like the size of a Sextoblade and about 50% heavier. Definitely straight razor replacement stuff. Don't know which goes up to bat on Wednesday.

Congrats Les! I absolutely LOVE mine I think it actually shaves better than any of my straights- like the ultimate frameback.

Can't wait to hear your thoughts

MAY 2017 Scores

Congratulation!! I didn't know you wanted one ...I have two:001_smile

Okay, I have about as much restraint as @imatabor has with an RX when it comes to Wecks and so I officially proclaimed that for today, Schick Saturday will be replaced by Stainless Steel Straight Razor Saturday. I just could not wait! Took some getting used to because it's been a while since I shaved with a full sized Sextoblade, and this one was the heaviest. Ended up with a great two pass shave. Oh, and for me, HSC Kaimu Shave Soap became my official Weck Wednesday soap because of it natural oils that soothes a close shave. The balm works great too.

DSC01557.JPG

Can't wait for this Weck Wednesday when I get to try my orange popsicle Weck.

Top Bottom