What's new

Weck Sextoblade Pass: The Reviews

Ok, so back in November, I started a pass with one of my Weck Sextoblade shavette-style razors. My goal was simple. Give folks who have shaved with both true straight razors and other brands of shavette-style razors and see how the Weck compares. I knew how it compared for me. My opinion is that the Weck is the closest shavette-style razor to using an actual straight razor. [Actually the Feather AC is just as good, if not slightly better than the Weck, but the Feather costs 10 times as much. Most folks are looking to shavettes as a cheap way of trying straights.] Despite this, the Weck never seemed to get any respect or recommendations from folks. I feel that any time someone is looking for a recommendation for a shavette, when their goal is trying out straight shaving, the only tool that should be recommended to them is the Weck Sextoblade.

So I started the Straight-Eight Shavette Pass. I wanted to give eight members the chance to try out the Weck, provide their comments, and see if other people felt the same way I did about the weck. The original thread is listed below, but there was a lot of banter inbetween reviews, so I wanted to simplify it and put all the reviews in one place.

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/320019-The-Straight-Eight-Shavette-Pass?

The Straight-Eight Participants:
1. duderdo
2. Kentos
3. TnutsShave
4. ladykate
5. jrward2
6. sychodelix
7. tomjr
8. Alum of Potash

The Weck Sextoblade
proxy.php

And here are their reviews:
Thanks so much to TheVez2 for starting the passaround. I was the first recipient, and have been using it almost exclusively for the last week.

Unfortunately I've never used a shavette before, so I'm bound to compare the Weck to a regular straight razor and my Feather DX. I'm happy to say that it shaves comparably to the latter, although feather blades are tough to beat on any level, Fromm blades come pretty close. I got consistently close shaves that were missing a bit of the burn that come with my Feathers. Even after a week, though, I haven't gotten used to the weight of the Weck. From what I've heard I think most people will find it to be a nice balance between a regular straight and a shavette-- unfortunately I can't shed any light on that area, I like heavier straights so using the Weck it was easy for me to avoid irritation and razor burn. Given more time I would see how it handles being stropped with and without paste to extend blade life, but that will have to wait until I pick one up for myself.

It was a really fun experience to use and thanks again to TheVez2. After using it I'm a bit shocked that it isn't recommended more often for those looking to try a straight razor without the maintenance or the hefty cost of the Feather line, but want something a bit more "sturdy" than a shavette. It "feels" like a straight, and even has a thumb notch like some of mine do. It's really the perfect transition razor for DE users who want to try a straight.

First shave is in the books!

I got a near BBS as I do most of my other straights, as well as my recent SE on a chopstick shave. First impressions are

1) it feels just like a "real" straight. It's heavier than a full hollow bit lighter than my big wedges.
2) the blade feels as keen as any western straight I have honed myself straight off the rocks, but less keen than razors stropped on nano sprays.
3) it is less keen than Feather/Kai and my Kamisoris
4) it feels less smooth than what I am accustomed to, especially evident in the ATG on my upper lip.

I would say, IMHO, it is a very good facsimile of a full hollow western straight razor. Going forward I would have no reservations recommending these things to novice shavers as it is very forgiving and feels very natural. I am not sure it needs to be as sharp as a feather. I have, however, stropped it up on .1CBN and .05 poly diamond on hanging leather to see if it smooths out that edge a bit.

All in all 2 thumbs up!
Ok, so my last shave pulled a bit and I had some irritation here and there, so I took my normal Saturday off day. So prior to tonight's shave I taped up the spine on the Weck and gave it a few laps on my jnat with Koma slurry, then a few laps on water, then some laps on my sprays. I did notice that the blade wasn't entirely flat on the hone, so I gave it a few rusty rolling x's for good measure.

The shave was very nice. Smooth near BBS and no witch hazel tingle. I think if someone wanted to they could reset the bevel and tailor the edge on a coti, synths, anything. Of course honing a Weck is like washing your disposable picnic plates, but hey, it's fun and it keeps me out of trouble on a Saturday night.
Folks, seems the more I strop this thing on my sprayed strop the better it gets.

That or my technique is getting better . Either way got a very close and comfortable BBS.

The Weck maybe the closest thing to a traditional straight- highly recommended for a newbie straight razor user.

Ok...The Weck has landed in the Valley of the Sun. First impressions are good...in general. I like the style of the scales as opposed to the Fromm I tried previously (my only other "shavette" experience). One gripe I may have with it at first "hold" is that the thumbnotch is too far away from the pivot, although none of my razors have a notch, so maybe this is not uncommon. For me, it just seems like it's in the wrong place. Anyone else notice this, or is it just me.
Well, first shave with the Weck this morning ... I had a good three day growth and the Weck/Fromm combo made short work. A couple of weepers that I didn't even notice until I saw a little pink in the lather, but nothing that even just a cold water splash closed up.

I would say that the Fromm blade was as sharp as any of my straights I've honed myself, although maybe not quite as smooth. This is not to say that it was an uncomfortable shave, in fact, just the opposite. The weight and balance were good, so no issues there. I found it quite easily maneuvered around the face and never had any real fear of a nick.

I'll reserve judgement after a few shaves, but I suspect that I'll be acquiring one of these little beauties. They're just too darn convenient NOT to have one around.

Bottom line...Pleasantly surprised about sums it up.

Second shave today...no stropping. Close, comfortable, no worries shave. I'm sold. My Weck is on it's way from Ebay land as we speak.

Thanks for the opportunity KJ...I'll finish out the week and get her ready to ship.
I gotta tell you guys, I think KJ may have killed my traditional straight shave love affair, at least for the time being. I picked up my own sextoblade of the 'bay and I'm on 7 shaves with a Fromm hairshaper blade with no signs of slowing down...keep your eye out on the BST for all of my straight gear!

An update after using it the past two days.

First holding it, it has the look and feel of an actual straight. Its very comparative in weight as well. I found the size of the fromm razor blade to be a great length. It holds just like a straight as far as the tang goes, the jimps and the notch on the spin are an added bonus as well.

Now to my first two shaves. I can't put my finger on what I'm getting from the performance of the fromm blade. It seems to be sharper and less smooth than what I would typically get from a regular straight. This has led to a few weepers on my cheeks. More than likely this is just due to me not being used to using the Weck, and hopefully as the week progresses I'll be able to adapt. However, I can say that I'm receiving no razor burn from the blade, a styptic pencil clears the small weepers right up. I think as the week progresses, and I get the hang of it, I will really enjoy it. I might even experiment on some crox. I'll update again later in the week.
There was no guard with it--which I liked better. A few of my final thoughts I had after my week of shaving with it. The shaves got better as the week progressed, yet I was still getting a few weepers. The Fromm blade seemed to not completely agree with my face (Feather DE blades have the same affect on me as well). As far as the Weck went, I found it very comparable to a regular straight. I've been looking on the Bay for one that has some aesthetic qualities I like as well as a good price. I plan on experimenting with some of the other blades on the market. If I recall correct, wasn't it said that Personna made blades that fit as well? At any rate, I really appreciate the pass KJ, it has brought new light to my shaving obsession.

I just completed my first shave with the Sextoblade. First, you need to realize, I grew a beard, although a well trimmed beard that needs the neckline and near the cheeks shaved. As for anybody that has a beard...this is the ultimate beard shaping tool. Smooth, efficient, yet much easier on the face than a DE blade. The shave was effortless and cut free. The feel is not quite the same as a traditional straight, but very close. I have not used a Feather yet, but I did use the Feather Pro and the Kai Mild with the Cobra Classic SE, which uses the same blades. The blades feel very similar, probably somewhere between the Feather and Kai in aggressiveness. This is definitely something I would recommend to a newbie straight shaver over a broken DE blade holder. And honestly, it may be a viable solution to learn straight shaving at a low cost price point as well.

Overall, I'm very impressed. We'll see how things go for the next few shaves, but I definitely plan on getting one. I plan on stropping between shaves and if things keep going well, I'll give a head shave with the Weck a shot as well.
Another good shave last night (but was too sleepy after to post). It seems stropping mellows out the blade some, but it still is nice and sharp. Again, an effortless, DFS shave on my neckline and near the cheeks. The shape and weight works very well for lining up along my beard for edging and trimming.

So the razor was in the mailbox this evening and I just shaved with it. Thanks to sychodelix for packaging up things nicely and thanks to KJ for starting this pass-around.

In the paperwork, it was requested that I mention my setting, so let me first say that I live in an old, working-class, formerly industrial neighborhood of Cambridge, Mass., dating to the 1820s-30s, and perhaps the earliest of its type in the country (although the City could care less about this). During the Revolutionary war, George Washington and his men set up a small fort here (which has long since vanished) about a block away and fired some cannons before high-tailing it out of there before advancing redcoats (who were arriving from Boston to liberate some Tories on the other side of town). Boston Garden, where the Celtics and Bruins play, is about a twenty-five minute walk from here.

And now for my experience of the razor and blade. I have been straight-razor shaving for what is approaching two years now, using a Parker shavette very sporadically when I am on a short trip or staying in undesirable conditions like camping or a beach house by sea. My first impression upon taking the razor out of the box was that yes, indeed, this does seem far closer to straight than the Parker--mostly because of the spine, tang, and scales, especially the latter. I spritzed the blade housing off with alcohol, loaded the blade as directed, tried the HHT (where it actually failed at times, like my own honed straights), lathered up, and went to work.

On the first sweeping pass, I felt that the Sextoblade razor was closer to a straight than a Parker, since I tend to use shorter passes with the latter's smaller blade, while this one allowed me to go the distance. And the Sextoblade razor allowed me to pretty much follow my normal, three-pass routine with a straight. From this I can say that it definitely seems like it would work for a newb not wanting to contend with the vagaries of stropping for starters, or for someone used to straights wanting to take it on a short voyage away from the familiarities of home. Three passes later, I had a DFS with only the slightest bit of alum block tingle.

So how is it different from a straight? Well, immediately I missed the solidity of the single-body relationship of spine and blade's edge that the straight has. With the razor taking a replaceable blade like this, there is always the subtle sensation that spine and blade are not one, meaning that the blade is weaker, exposed, and less capable of stress. Consequently, one cannot apply as much force when shaving here, counting on the straight-razor's heft, which means that one has to rely on the sharpness factor, rather than smoothness, with the result being that the shave is not quite as close, or feels ever so slightly different. But this is very subtle, and for the beginning straight-razor user, it wouldn't be much of an issue, the important thing there being to learn the tricks of pulling the skin with the off-hand, the necessary grimaces, and blade angle--all of which this razor provides. While shaving, I also felt that the Sextoblade razor had more difficulty in tight areas like beneath my nostrils or between my jawline and the neck. And at one point while doing the my first WTG pass, I could feel the blade cut into the base of the neck very slightly (a brief weeper was the result). The sensation was extremely sharp, and I am sure that a straight would have been more forgiving here. Again, the sharpness factor versus smoothness. Beyond this, the blade seem to catch more in the limited ATG areas that I normally do (the base of the neck, beneath the jawline) or when the angle was raised beneath the nose, but really, this wasn't much of a problem.

To conclude, this is a nice razor, and had I not taken the full-blown straight razor path that involves stropping and honing, I could see myself blissfully using the Sextoblade for the rest of my days and not really needing more. Yet the uniformity of using the same set of industrially-produced replacement blades is not for me in the end; I've caught the honing bug and like to tinker with the edge. For an occasional break from straights or short trips, though, it's great, just so long as it's used with a light touch.

Not having wanted to read too many earlier comments on this thread, so as to remain unbiased for the first try, I will now go back and read them and take these into consideration for the next couple of tries.
Shave no. 2 was largely replay of last night, the exception being that I stropped the razor with a Vincent/Yanaki cowhide or synthetic(?) strop that is more or less designed for hair-cutting blades like this Fromm. Ten strops on the "canvas" side and sixty on the "leather" side. If it is a "vegan strop," this one has a very light draw, almost akin to shell or cordovan leather, imparting a very different experience nonetheless. Being far from a leather expert, I'd like to know if the surface is synthetic, since it is consistently described as being "cowhide," yet the backside seems to be of something more man-made. In any case, stropping seemed to improve the HHT from last night, and the over-sharp fear factor was dampened ever so slightly as a result. Three passes and Thayer's lavender witch-hazel, rather than an alum block and an after-shave, was a very nice, delicate finish afterwards. No cuts or weepers and another DFS, again not quite as close as when using a regular straight due to the need to maintain a lighter touch here.

While shaving this evening, I really understood what is the chief shortcoming with this razor as opposed to straights. There is about a 1/4" width of blade extending from the spine/blade-holder that is exposed and unsupported. Consequently, one must always remain concerned that this section might flex and dig in. Even the lowly Parker offers more support than this, the downside with the Parker being that one can never really see the blade's angle and must resort to "night-flying" by concentrating on the spine. With the Weck/Sextoblade, one always sees the edge angle itself, which is a big plus. Ultimately, it seems most reminiscent of a frameback, yet still lacking the rigidity of the frameback's more solid and thicker replaceable blade, which in essence, isn't all that replaceable.

Before stropping, I also looked at the Fromm blade's edge with a 20x Hastings triplet loupe. I'm not at the point where I can estimate the rating of the abrasive used, so let me state roughly that there were three bevels there. The primary bevel was done on a relatively coarse abrasive; the secondary, far closer to the edge, was done on a slightly finer coarse abrasive; and the tertiary consisted of the polishing proper starting not far from the blade's edge itself. More or less, this all seemed analogous to the blade "rounding" with pastes that we Americans seem antipathetic to, but which seems to meet with more approval in European circles.

That was the last of the reviews from the pass. I know what you’re thinking... that was only 6 reviews... I thought there were supposed to be 8? Well as it turns out, two of the pass participants were so intrigued that they couldn’t wait their turn, and they went ahead and bought Wecks of their own. Here are their reviews:

Found one for a reasonably small pittance (we have tons of antique stores nearby) and went to Sally and got some Personna Hair Shaper Blades. The one I got was one of the stainless ones with a medical caduceus on the hilt. I hesitated slightly cuz the last stainless handled razor I got was terribly balanced. However, I've now put on two shaves with this one and, while the handle is indeed a bit heavier, the balance is fine compared to the TI stainless razor. The shaves are milder than an AC and definitely nicer than a broken blade shavette. My first shave resulted in some light weepers - I was a bit aggressive. The second one had a single weeper that was gone by the end of the shave. I'm typing this and stroking my chin and thinking that this was indeed a 'hidden in plain sight' find.

The abundance of hair shaper blades makes these cheaper to use than standard AC blades. I found a half dozen sources for different makes. Personna, Fromm, Weck, and something called Brittiny seem popular. Anyone used Brittiny?

So... jazzed because of the initial success... I went researching and found that they used to supply Weck razors with a strop. You could tune up the edge with the strop once the blade became a bit too mild. Anyone doing that?
OK... Here is a testament to my obsessive side. I bought a couple of Weck hair shapers and, just as was offered in this thread, they were a bit light weight. They would work well for someone with small hands (maybe) but they were just a bit flimsy for me. I noticed, though, that the holder was similar to the sturdier versions so that got me thinking. I converted one to a non-folder and found I really liked it. It felt very sturdy and gave a great shave (reference all the prior testimonies about the shave - same with this). So... here I was, stuck with several hair shaper versions - I decided to get anal and make something with them - something I would likely use.
I noticed tug during the last of my third shave and started stropping on the fourth. Stropping was immediately effective although it didn't bring it back to its former glory - but it was still useful. The 'Washing the disposable plates" comment is funny and probably more than half true - but I can see where knowing how to strop them would help on trips/camping/ or just mellowing them out for that first shave.

gentlemen, thanks for the offer but i could not wait. i purchased a weck off the bay 8 bucks shipped. it has a bluish aluminum handle but was in pristine condition. i must say it does shave very well (2 shaves in). must get some more blades. so scratch me off the list please and thanks anyway, tom.
i got interested in this thread & the Weck so i signed up and bought one before my turn, so i bowed out and just wanted to say thanks anyway. here is some of my impressions of my Weck . First off i am a long time straight razor shaver and all that comes with them. that being said i must say that the Weck was a pleasant surprise. it is the closest thing to a traditional straight i ever tried. it could make for a great method of straight shaving without honing, but to me honing is a great part of the straight razor experience. i will use my Weck from time to time i suppose but i think i may have found the perfect razor for my travel kit. tom

This thread also sparked the interest of some non-participants to purchase a Weck and give it a try for themselves. Here are their reviews:

Ok, I decided to shave this evening to try out the Weck & Personna blades.

About me:
I've been wet shaving with DE razors for a while now. I've never shaved with a straight. I tried a cheap (shaving factory) shavette once. I didn't even finish the shave as the DE cut me pretty handily under the nose. When I read KJ's original post, I was sufficiently intrigued so I found a Weck and bought it. It is the medical Weck pictured above.

First shave:
I installed a Personna shaper blade and noticed an immediate difference (and improvement) from my experience with the 1/2 DE shaver. KJ is correct, the shaper blades are stiffer and a bit less sharp. This allowed me to feel in control of the razor and I was certainly more comfortable shaving with it. For a first attempt, it went pretty well: the shave was relatively close, only three small weepers and a bit of razor burn just above my jaw lines. I definitely attribute these problems to my awkward use of the razor as a complete novice. To be frank, I was surprised it went as well as it did. I'm looking forward to getting used to it and improving my technique. It will make a nice addition to my rotation.
getting better. I just shaved with the Weck for the second time. No irritation this time. I think I was applying pressure last shave given the different geometry between the Weck and a DE safety razor. The shave is really smooth. I'm pleased with the results and will continue to use it to try to develop some technique. I'm still pretty clumsy with it below the jaw line but I decided that I like the ability it gives me to shave under my nose. This is always a difficult area with the DE, and I had the bad experience with the other shavette when I cut myself there. I now attribute this to the fact that the shape of that blade holder doesn't allow me to get close under the nose while maintaining a proper shave angle and to the fact that the 1/2 DE blades are much sharper than the shaper blade.
I spent the past several days shaving with a true straight...my first real straight shaving other than some experimenting years ago. Then I came back to the Weck this morning. I am even more impressed with it now. Is it the same? No, but it actually approximates the straight pretty well. My shave today was closer and definitely irritation-free. I think the main difference is that I concentrated on applying no pressure. I just did a two-pass shave (WTG, ATG) and it is very acceptable. I'm certain that this razor will join my rotation (along with my DEs and my straight). I was also thinking that this could be the ideal travel razor.

Thanks again, Vez, for the initial prompt. Although I didn't join the 8 pass, your post caused me to buy the Weck. More to come as I get better with it.

As for the shave, awesome! I am a newb. Started out with the Parker, bought a Weck, then a couple of solid blades. I’ve been having a bit of difficulty getting my lower lip clean with the solid, so tonite I got out the Weck with a Fromm blade. First couple of passes were great, then (I swear), I didn’t even touch my lower lip and it cut me!

As a result of this thread, I purchased a Weck on ebay (a stainless, US Army medical one). I shaved with it for the first time last night, using a NOS Weck hair shaper blade from a pack that I found at a local antique mall.

Some observations:

- The stainless scales are heavy and throw off the balance somewhat. It's still useable, but I had to position the scales at a different angle than I'm used to.
- I didn't like the guard at all. I constantly had to stop and reverse the thing. For instance, I always shave one side of my upper lip, and then do the other side with a backhand stroke. With the Weck, I had to reverse the guard to do the backhand stroke. I found the whole thing too awkward for the way I shave.
- I found the blade to be too dull. Maybe it was because I was trying to shave a five day growth, but it was pulling a bit, and I had to use more pressure than I'm used to. I shave with a folding Feather AC SS and a CJB kami, with Feather blades. Maybe these ultra sharp blades have spoiled me. I've never used a traditional straight, so I don't know how this vintage Weck blade would compare. The second pass, this time without the guard, was smoother, but still nowhere near Feather sharp.
- Compared to the only broken blade shavette I've ever used (a Lord disposable), the Weck felt so much better (once ditching the guard). Definitely more forgiving. The only nick I got was on the corner of my chin on the first pass, when I decided to do my whole chin without reversing the guard.

Your pass around thread is working. It stoked my interest. I had been thinking about straights and/or replaceable blade Shavette style razors, but wasn't real keen on all the gear involved in real straights nor was I very excited about the half DE options. I hadn't really ever heard of Weck razors prior to stumbling upon this thread. This thread piqued my interest and started me on a search for a Weck. Today I found a pristine hair shaper model for $5 and figured that was a good place to start. A stop at Sally for a five pack of blades and I am ready to give this a whirl. Thanks for starting what is likely going to become yet another AD....

Well, that about does it. Two Wecks and a box of blades on their way to try out. Ladykate, thanks for the tips on making the non folders.
I posted it elsewhere as well but I did my very first 'straight' shave last night. I used a vintage long handle Weck with a Personna blade and Arko stick. I pulled off a WTG and ATG shave on my cheeks as well as a ATG (thats going up for me) on my neck. I did have some cleaning up to do but it went really quite well with NO nicks, weepers, bumps or irritation.

Beginners luck for sure but I owe it all to you here and this post for the inspiration.
Second shave with the Weck, added a pearl of KMF to the bowl and lathered up some Arko, second shave was like the first but I added the ATG on the cheeks and WTG to the neck. I am still fighting the way my hand wants to increase the angle but still, no cuts, weepers or nicks.

I cleaned up (and added a much needed ATG) with the SA and that left a good razor burn that I am not so thrilled about but the Weck did just what it was supposed too. Perhaps a stropping is on order or should I wait until it pulls?

I gave the Weck Medical version Sextoblade a shot this morning. The balance and feel in the hand is much more secure than my Sanguine. The longer blade (personna) made for easy work on my cheeks, but gave me some trouble below the jawline. I ended up with a handful of weepers on my neck and switched to a DE to finish the shave. I will give it another shot next weekend and really take my time to try and get the angle and pressure dialed in for the neck and chin. If I do end up liking the Sextoblade I will probably try to replace the stainless handle with some nice scales to improve the aesthetics.

And on top of that, a few others poked their head in to give their thoughts on the weck.

The Sextoblade is a nice razor. The weight and feel is quite comfortable. I used one for a few months early on.

Anyone getting in on this pass is in for a treat.
Im not in, because I use a Sextoblade occasionally.

I get great shaves with mine. I like it more than the CJB with Kai Milds.

I had a modern Stainless Weck, it was ok, but it did feel cheesy. The blade ejection lever was cool though.
I thought enough of it to consider rescaling it - just never got around to it.

I know what you mean about the sextoblade getting no love...I had one for quite a while that I couldn't even give away! I seriously tried, I had no interest in it myself. At the urging of a member here (plpenn) I bought some blades for it and gave it a shot. Not bad! I could see wanting one to travel with, for convenience sake.
I ended up piffing it to somebody after plpenn's pass around he did with one of these a while ago, can't remember where it ended up.

I haven't ever used another "shavette" to compare it to but was pleasantly surprised with the weight and feel of this blade.

After a disastrous first outing several weeks back mostly due to bad technique, I've gone back to my Weck w/Personna blades this week. My first shave back, I accomplished no nicks or cuts on a two-pass, with the grain shave. I didn't want to risk against the grain just yet and I was satisfied with the with the grain shave. Yesterday I did one pass with the grain and one across the grain. For fun I tried against the grain and immediately stopped because of a small cut.

I'll hop in on this thrread. A couple years ago I bought a Weck Sex-to-Blade for travel purposes. I've tried the Fromm hair shaper for shaving and it worked but something about the Weck just seemed like a good idea. Like it called to me in the antique shop saying "Try me you won't regret it." You know what I didn't and I still keep that thing in my travel kit. It sent me on a journey of antique disposable straights that has culminated in my most recent acquisition disorder. (That is a soon to be new post.) That being said, I totally agree that the Weck Sex-to-Blade is a very close approximation of a straight and compared to the other I tried, a Magic type razor, is one of my favorites by far. I've used the Weck with and with out the guard and found the guard would have been a great tool to learn how to get your angle. I'm already a straight razor devotee, I just like playing with different styles and varieties. The Wecks are well balanced shavers that are great for the beginner or experienced straight shaver to use as a travel razor. I love mine.

And some of my other Wecks
proxy.php

Allow me to toss one more out there. My pal plpenn allowed me to borrow his for several months (thanks again Paul). As the Weck was my first foray into straight style shaving it took me a while to muster up the courage to try it. Paul advised me to start with my cheeks with the guard. So I started off slow and soon realized that with the guard it wasn't scary at all...it was also one of the best, most effort free shaves I have had. I have thick, wire like whiskers and often times DE just doesn't give me a BBS shave. Well, the Sextoblade (even with the guard) does so with not a whole lot of effort. I finally sent the Wecks back to Paul and purchased my own. I tried a few of the smaller hair shapers, but nothing compares to the supremely awesome larger Sextoblade with the black scales

They take single edge hair shaper blades. Popular brands are Personna, Fromm, and Pro-Mate. I buy mine at Sally Beauty Supply.

I followed the pass around all the way, and thoroughly enjoyed it. Also learned a few things along the way.
Now you've got me thinking...
What about a Durham Duplex pass around?

I have not found anything explaining why that name was chosen. But the prefix Sexto- means The Sixth.

I have not found anything explaining why that name was chosen. But the prefix Sexto- means The Sixth.

Or like sextuplets...looking back, one of Weck's ads proclaimed "Combines 6 good razors in the price of 1". Another noted that the razor was sold with six blades and the guard -- adding, "Records show that the users of this razor are about evenly divided as to the use or non-use of the Safety Guard"!

I'll add in the pictures when I get a chance.

Ok, so back in November, I started a pass with one of my Weck Sextoblade shavette-style razors. My goal was simple. Give folks who have shaved with both true straight razors and other brands of shavette-style razors and see how the Weck compares. I knew how it compared for me. My opinion is that the Weck is the closest shavette-style razor to using an actual straight razor. [Actually the Feather AC is just as good, if not slightly better than the Weck, but the Feather costs 10 times as much. Most folks are looking to shavettes as a cheap way of trying straights.] Despite this, the Weck never seemed to get any respect or recommendations from folks. I feel that any time someone is looking for a recommendation for a shavette, when their goal is trying out straight shaving, the only tool that should be recommended to them is the Weck Sextoblade.

So I started the Straight-Eight Shavette Pass. I wanted to give eight members the chance to try out the Weck, provide their comments, and see if other people felt the same way I did about the weck. The original thread is listed below, but there was a lot of banter inbetween reviews, so I wanted to simplify it and put all the reviews in one place.

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/320019-The-Straight-Eight-Shavette-Pass?

The Straight-Eight Participants:
1. duderdo
2. Kentos
3. TnutsShave
4. ladykate
5. jrward2
6. sychodelix
7. tomjr
8. Alum of Potash

The Weck Sextoblade
proxy.php

And here are their reviews:

That was the last of the reviews from the pass. I know what you’re thinking... that was only 6 reviews... I thought there were supposed to be 8? Well as it turns out, two of the pass participants were so intrigued that they couldn’t wait their turn, and they went ahead and bought Wecks of their own. Here are their reviews:

This thread also sparked the interest of some non-participants to purchase a Weck and give it a try for themselves. Here are their reviews:

And on top of that, a few others poked their head in to give their thoughts on the weck.

And some of my other Wecks
proxy.php

Sir,

I live in Europe, Please can you tell me where I can find a Weck Sextoblade in good condition?
Thanks very much.

Thank you Sir.
Unfortunately the costs of shipping US-Portugal are prohibitively high.
We pay as much for shipping as for the Sextoblade.
Thanks again.
Regards

Top Bottom