What's new

Weck Hair Shaper

Hello, Gents, I am a lucky guy here soon since a very generous B&B member is sending me a Weck razor. I have heard awesome things about this razor.

Any tips on using it? Do Personna hair shaper blades work in it?

Hello, Gents, I am a lucky guy here soon since a very generous B&B member is sending me a Weck razor. I have heard awesome things about this razor.

Any tips on using it? Do Personna hair shaper blades work in it?
The original blade for these was called the Sextoblade. The Personna hair shaper blades should fit, also. Remove the guard, using it is similar to using a shavette.

The original blade for these was called the Sextoblade. The Personna hair shaper blades should fit, also. Remove the guard, using it is similar to using a shavette.

Ok thank you! I have been using shavettes strictly for the past month.

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
I don't cork or strop them, but the first shave can be a wee-bit harsh. Let me direct you here: Weck Wednesdays. I've been using a Weck Sextoblade and Weck Hair Shaper razors, and I really like them. Weck's usually arrive with either a Safety Bar guard or an Open Comb Guard. The Sextoblade (earliest Wecks) had an SB guard, and honestly, I would recommend starting your shave with it on. You can always remove it, but finding the angle with the guard (for me at least) is a bit challenging since the blade is fully exposed and much thinner than say a straight razor. I find using the Weck with the guard is also a far more similar experience to that of a DE or AC shavette (of which I have many). Join us over at Weck Wednesday or at Shavette and Barber Razor Enthusiast (SABRE), and you'll find folks who use these razors on a weekly (if not daily) basis.

Welcome to the club!!!

I don't cork or strop them, but the first shave can be a wee-bit harsh. Let me direct you here: Weck Wednesdays. I've been using a Weck Sextoblade and Weck Hair Shaper razors, and I really like them. Weck's usually arrive with either a Safety Bar guard or an Open Comb Guard. The Sextoblade (earliest Wecks) had an SB guard, and honestly, I would recommend starting your shave with it on. You can always remove it, but finding the angle with the guard (for me at least) is a bit challenging since the blade is fully exposed and much thinner than say a straight razor. I find using the Weck with the guard is also a far more similar experience to that of a DE or AC shavette (of which I have many). Join us over at Weck Wednesday or at Shavette and Barber Razor Enthusiast (SABRE), and you'll find folks who use these razors on a weekly (if not daily) basis.

Welcome to the club!!!

Thank you kindly for your post. I will test all avenues out. I’m only a 1-2 pass shaver and only do WTG. I find this works best for my skin. DFS or SAS and I’m happy.

Flintstone65

What is the best way to unload a blade with the Weck? I don’t want to cut self.
So I push the blade out with the body of a pen or pencil. With the razor open (unfolded), I get something something that can catch the bottom part of the blade -- like I said, the body of a pencil -- and I push it against the blade so it slides out enough for me to use a towel to grab the part sticking out and pull the remainder of the blade out. Basically, I stay clear of the sharp edge and work along the bottom of the blade.

By the way, did you finish the blade or are you trying a new one? I just ask because I wouldn't remove the blade from the razor every time. I guess some people do, and I do that with my DE and SE razors, but not the Wecks or injectors. I also find that the Weck fits so tightly that nothing seems to get in the crevice that holds the blade.

How's it shaving for you?

So I push the blade out with the body of a pen or pencil. With the razor open (unfolded), I get something something that can catch the bottom part of the blade -- like I said, the body of a pencil -- and I push it against the blade so it slides out enough for me to use a towel to grab the part sticking out and pull the remainder of the blade out. Basically, I stay clear of the sharp edge and work along the bottom of the blade.

By the way, did you finish the blade or are you trying a new one? I just ask because I wouldn't remove the blade from the razor every time. I guess some people do, and I do that with my DE and SE razors, but not the Wecks or injectors. I also find that the Weck fits so tightly that nothing seems to get in the crevice that holds the blade.

How's it shaving for you?

Thank you for the detailed reply. I’m still awaiting blades before I shave. I will keep you updated.

You can get the hair shaper blades from Sally's (Personna or Fromm). I actually like the hair shaper slightly better than the Sextoblade because it is smaller and easier for me to maneuver.

Flintstone65

You can get the hair shaper blades from Sally's (Personna or Fromm). I actually like the hair shaper slightly better than the Sextoblade because it is smaller and easier for me to maneuver.
I like the Fromm blades I can get from Sally's -- I can't really tell the difference between them and the Personna's. That said, I can find the Personna's online (in bulk) for slightly cheaper (and I'm cheap), so that's the way I've gone. I go back and forth about which I prefer, the Sextoblade or the Hair Shaper....it's sort of a toss up to me. I like the history of using something with a patent date of 1909 on it, and I have a medical metal one (has the Caduceus symbol), but it's heavy to use; however, the smaller hair shaper I have is very maneuverable and it has an OC guard, which I like. I guess they're all my favorites. :001_smile

I like the Fromm blades I can get from Sally's -- I can't really tell the difference between them and the Personna's. That said, I can find the Personna's online (in bulk) for slightly cheaper (and I'm cheap), so that's the way I've gone. I go back and forth about which I prefer, the Sextoblade or the Hair Shaper....it's sort of a toss up to me. I like the history of using something with a patent date of 1909 on it, and I have a medical metal one (has the Caduceus symbol), but it's heavy to use; however, the smaller hair shaper I have is very maneuverable and it has an OC guard, which I like. I guess they're all my favorites. :001_smile
You have not unleashed the potential of your Sextoblade until you've used it with a kismet blade. You'll never go back.

VERY good to know, thank you! I'll start looking for them.
They are made in Germany and I can tell you right now that, If you live in North America, you'll have to order them on eBay.

Flintstone65

They are made in Germany and I can tell you right now that, If you live in North America, you'll have to order them on eBay.

Thanks...it looked like most of the ones I found were in/on European sites....I'll check out that 'Bay.

Top Bottom