What's new

Weber Grill-Craigslist Dilemma or Scam

I hope this is the proper forum for my question. I recently posted my Weber gas grill on Craigslist, this being the first time I have used Craigslist. I got a few e-mails and talked to a couple of perspective buyers , then something different happened. I got an e-mail asking if the grill was still available. Then once I responded that it was ,I immediately got another e-mail saying that they wanted the item sight-unseen and would send a certified check, which once cleared , they would arrange for pick-up.

I became suspicious because the first response showed a far away area code so I decided to request cash transaction only. I never heard back. This has happened 3 more times ( a total of 4 times in 2 days) all different addresses and contact info. No response when I mention cash only. I know this is a scam but don't know how? I doubt they even want the grill and that is not their objective but how can they profit from this?

Either they don't send the certified check, or the certified check is a phoney/forgery. Then they come and take your grill and scope out your house for anything else that looks interesting.

$34035938.jpg

not sure exactly how they will scam you, but they will. like BigWill said, maybe they know you have a nice Weber and want to scope the house, use fake account etc.

Unlrelaed scam:
You see something you want, like an iPad and ask to buy it. You arrange to meet them somewhere. You show up with $400 and ask for the item, no one is there or you knock on a door and they say "I have no idea what you are talking about" (they will use a random address). You walk away and get jumped before getting into your car and are out $400.

bottom line, it's a scam. Don't respond and do what you had intended...CASH ONLY.

Last edited:
The check is deposited, funds are released, they get the merch, a week later the originating bank tells your bank the check is bogus and your bank removes the funds from your account.

Standard c/l scam, every ad on there gets then by the dozen.

The check is deposited, funds are released, they get the merch, a week later the originating bank tells your bank the check is bogus and your bank removes the funds from your account.

Standard c/l scam, every ad on there gets then by the dozen.

there you go, pretty simple scam and you are out a grill and the money. it must work or they wouldn't try.

Never, Ever, Ever, take anything but cash for kijiji or craiglist sales. don't have cash, you don't get it.

After doing some research, I think the scammers usually work one of two ways. They send you a bogus certified check for perhaps $1000 extra. Then ask for a partial refund. When their check bounces, you are out of the money you refunded them. Others ask for address, name and phish for personal info. They are out of state or out of country so have no intention of ever picking up the merchandise. Cash is King. There are also reports of people setting up a pick-up or viewing time, later cancelling and asking for a weekday morning, then inquiring if you will be home. Ummm.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
last time I used that site (first and last time) the same thing happened to me. I specified "cash only" in my ad and still got one or two scams.

I had an uneasy feeling about using them to start, but I was moving had a lot to get rid of and wanted it gone quick. LOTS of people would email and only want to communicate via email. They would say things like "is ___still available? i'm willing to pay your asking price, what's your address? can I pick it up within the hour?" or "i want the ___ i'll give you XXX" I'd respond with "yes it's still available if you are seriously interested call the number listed in the ad" no matter what their question was.

Anyway I don't have any plans of ever using that site again, buy or sell. I didn't like the experience.

Scam. Next time in your ad, request them to provide their phone number when responding. If you suspect scam, report to CL.

So many people are flaky on Craigslist. They show interest and then get lazy. Any more specific forum geared toward your geographic area will be better, e.g., I belong to a forum for bike riders in my area, easy and nice place to buy/sell. I could probably even sell something non-bike related there as well.

We put something on CL recently for the first time & got these same type of 'inquiries'. They wanted to do PayPal, but same thing - as soon as we said cash only, they magically just disappeared.

When using Craigslist:

1. Get a phone number and then call/text the person.CASH ONLY
2. CASH ONLY
3. Meet in person in a well-lit public place.
4. Take a friend when possible.

I've had lots of good experiences with Craigslist, but there are scammers out there.

I cant say I'm too fond of the ole CL. What I have sold on there, I have been lowballed to death on, and everything I reply to, I get no answer from the seller! For two weeks, I have replied to an add for a concert riptide ukulele for my daughter, even including my ph# and have yet to get a reply. I guess YMMV applies here too, as my father swears by it, buying and selling vehicles, iPads, electronics, blah blah blah..... And yes, I got several emails asking me to ship a very expensive ring all over the the place with promise of certified check.

Last edited:
I have heard that after you deposit the check and the funds are cleared, they contact you and say that they are not interested, then they ask for the refund and tell you that you can keep a small portion of the funds for your trouble. You refund let's say 80%, and you're happy because you made a quick buck. 5 days later, you get the e-check or wire transfer bounced/rejected and the funds are deducted from you're account and now you owe the bank the full amount. It happened to a close friend, it's only one of the many ways to scam you.

Top Bottom