What's new

Weber Charcoal Barbecue

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
I had to buy a new BBQ as they are on special this week.

A quick recap.

My dad always used gas, he had a few BBQs over the years and I always like it. My father in law always used gas, he used the ones that were given to him over the years and he currently has my old one from 1999... In short, everyone had gas!

I started with a gas one (regular size, nothing big, can't remember the name, I would need to see the Father in law...). I eventually moved and bought a weber and used coals. It was pretty awesome. I was able to get to some coconut shells coals. They worked really well and exclusively used that for a while. Of course, I tried the briquettes, paraffin cubes and the whole thing but the coconut shells worked best.

I went with coals when I started reading and seeing recipes from Steven Raichlen.

I then moved again and had to buy another BBQ (I can't really live without one and you can't beat a steak on the grill in the summer).

My dad gave me his old gas BBQ (a Beaumark). I used 4 bottles of propane(the big ones) that summer but didn't found it to be as good as coal. So I gave the BBQ back (that went to my sister with a full bottle of propane), I got a grillmate last year, I had to modify it a bit as it had a rack to put things like burger buns higher. The lid was attached to the BBQ which caused the bun rack to move up and down when I opened the lid. If I had a piece of steak that was too big, it would cause the lid to remain opened. Anyways, I removed the bun tray and it went well.

I left the Grillmate outside with a cover all winter. When I turn it on 2 weeks ago, it felt like it was going to fall apart. It seems like it did not like winter at all. I will need to move the BBQ back in the garage, undo it, rebuild it and I will check if my father in law wants a coal BBQ...

Last week, all the Webers were on special so I bought another BBQ, new cover and all. First grill was a bit difficult as the weber is deeper than the grillmate so I did not get enough heat for the steaks. I had to finish them in the pan. I revisited youtube and read a few articles and saw how it would be best to use that newly acquired toy!

I would like to post my findings here when I can to show what I did (success and failures). If it can help someone, why not?!

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
My family has only had Webber Kettle style grills. Never used gas. They just can't be beat IMO. A workhorse that does everything.

I guess maybe I should mention that I cheated on the family and Webber and have a Kingsford charcoal grill. It was cheap!

I started with Webers ... dabbled in gas the last year or so ... and now I'm back to Webers.

Takes a little more effort and you need to be a little more attuned to what you're doing, but after you get you, it's easy.

One thing that's helped me is moving from Kingsford to Royal Oak lump charcoal. It burns hotter for me, plus it lasts longer and produces less ash.

Incidentally ... we now have two Webers ... one is on the patio, the other is kept in the shed as a backup, or for those really ambitious days when we're cooking a lot :)

I'm a big fan of charcoal... I replaced my last weber, with another weber. Nothing fancy, just whatever was on sale at the department store. If you've gone that route, make sure you empty the ashes and keep the water out of it. the star/one touch/whatever that thing is called will rust and seize up on you. Not that it's a big deal to empty out the ashes without it, but it annoys me that I cant use it anymore. Though, having said that, it annoyed me when I could use it.

As for coals, I dont have a decent source for the good stuff, so I typically use the brickettes. they're readily available, I'm used to them, and if you're patient, they are pretty cheap when on sale. I think the key to cooking well on the grill is more knowing your coals and heat and not overcooking your food.

I used Weber kettle grills for years...they are great!

IMHO, however, they -- like all charcoal grills -- have a very inconsistent and imprecise heat/time profile: after started, they are very hot then taper off. I know one can control this a bit with the air flow vents on the Weber...much better than lesser grills!

But...as I get older I get lazier (or said differently, I choose what activities to spend my time on). So...I've been using a Weber gas grill for many years now. I like the consistent and controllable heat...I frequently cook roasts and veggies and such (in addition to steaks and burgers, etc.), so this is very important to me. I also don't miss mucking around with the coal and ashes...my grill is on a deck outside the kitchen, and in a screened-in porch in the winter, both of which are off the main living area of our house, so the dirt would be a problem.

I know...purists will scoff as it being just a portable oven. But IMHO, much of the flavor/character of grill cooking comes from the fat dripping and burning/smoking -- and the metal "flavorizer" (a tacky name I admit) bars do that very well. And I have a smoker box that I use to impart hickory (or other wood) smoke influence on the aforementioned roasts.

I'm getting hungry as I write this...:tongue_sm

Anyway...my $0.02...

Weber has been my only BBQ for quite some time now. I don't see myself using gas again.

proxy.php

In fact, I like them so much I bougth the tabletop one for my weekend trips:

proxy.php

...First grill was a bit difficult as the weber is deeper than the grillmate so I did not get enough heat for the steaks...

I use lump charcoal for steaks and anything that requires high heat for a short time. I use briquettes for slow and long lasting heat.
In my experience lump charcoal gets very hot and is best used with the BBQ lid off.

Last edited:
I'm completely sold on Weber. I have a kettle that I use with lump when I have good steaks, or something that wants some good smoke flavor and super-high heat I also use it with briquettes for smoking some baby backs or other items that don't require more than about 6 hours of smoke time. (I Use the Minion Snake method and the kettle will hold 225 for that long.)

I also have a Weber Genesis gas grill that is my everyday workhorse. It's an awesome grill. I bought it last year and it's great. Was buried under snow for months this winter and it still fired right up.... something lesser grills have never done without prodding, poking and cajoling.

You can't beat a good 'ol Weber grill. There's a reason they've been manufactured since the 50's.

I much prefer lump charcoal, but briquettes are even more convenient.

If you aren't using one, get yourself a charcoal chimney to light the coals. Works every time, cheap and clean, and no need for paraffin or lighter fluid or such. A page of newspaper, drizzled with canola, corn, olive, any oil (will make the paper burn much longer) and the fire will be rocking in 10 minutes.

I've even placed the cooking grate on top of the chimney for rocket-hot searing (only way to do sea scallops). Alton Brown had an episode were he placed the chimney on top of a rib eye to broil, sort of a poor man's salamander.

You can't beat a good 'ol Weber grill. There's a reason they've been manufactured since the 50's.

I much prefer lump charcoal, but briquettes are even more convenient.

If you aren't using one, get yourself a charcoal chimney to light the coals. Works every time, cheap and clean, and no need for paraffin or lighter fluid or such. A page of newspaper, drizzled with canola, corn, olive, any oil (will make the paper burn much longer) and the fire will be rocking in 10 minutes.

I've even placed the cooking grate on top of the chimney for rocket-hot searing (only way to do sea scallops). Alton Brown had an episode were he placed the chimney on top of a rib eye to broil, sort of a poor man's salamander.
I assume you meant the rib eye was on top of the chimney...:001_rolle

I saw that episode...I also remember another episode where he hooked up a blower with ductwork to a kettle grill. I don't remember exactly what he was trying to do, but it was impressive! As a recovering engineer, I liked his show and the technical background...sort of like "Mr. Wizard Meets Julia Child" :w00t:

I have a 14" Smokey Joe and my roommate has the 22"(?) kettle. A half full chimney for Joe and a full one for the big kettle topped off if we will be cooking for a while. The only reason I would get a gas grill is so that I can run outside real quick in the winter and grill some meats without fussing around with coals. Synopsis: there is no better flavor than from charcoal. I made some jalapeno poppers (stuffed with cream cheese, wrapped in bacon) on there Saturday and they were vastly better than made in the oven!

I also have dropped a few hints to the gf that I want a charcoal smoker for my birthday! It's a shame that its at the end of August so I will miss the majority of the good summer months. Oh well! Always next year! (PS. The one I am looking for is the pit barrel cooker :D)

A pit barrel can be a true BBQ but most of the things mentioned here are grills. Need something like a Big Green Egg or some of them fancy cookers they show on BBQ competitions.

I assume you meant the rib eye was on top of the chimney...:001_rolle

I saw that episode...I also remember another episode where he hooked up a blower with ductwork to a kettle grill. I don't remember exactly what he was trying to do, but it was impressive! As a recovering engineer, I liked his show and the technical background...sort of like "Mr. Wizard Meets Julia Child" :w00t:

Actually, Danek is correct. Alton did a porterhouse under the chimney. He test fit the porterhouse inside the diameter of the chimney. He then loaded the chimney with charcoal and lit it per usual. He then placed the screaming hot chimney over the steak, cooked it for a minute or so, flipped it and cooked it under the heat again. It was interesting. I have thought about trying it myself, but am afraid I will have ash drop onto steak. Google "alton brown porterhouse perfection' and you can find a Youtube of his process. After watching it, it actually cooks below and above the fire. It really looks delicious.

I love my Weber Kettle. Added a WSM a year later. I use a MAPP torch to light them, and I always use lump charcoal.
The flavour of charcoal is tops and can't be beat...

I wish you a lot of luck with your Weber 'Satellite' grill!
You might still find a Sunset magazine publishing house book on EBay, that I used as my 'Weber Bible', back in the 1980's, before The Food NetWork Channel began.

Now, living in an apt. complex that does not allow such things, with no patio, but where we do get storms (and sometimes hurricanes), I DO miss it. re:storm .... like the one that blew the railway cars off the bridge, down here in LA, yesterday.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
I will need to be back with some pictures...

I used to pour my coal on both sides of the Grillmate when I was cooking something and mainly cooking indirect. I tried the direct method as many things are small pieces of meat, steaks, etc. I read somewhere that anything that takes less than 20 mins to cook should be direct and anything slow cooking/smoked should be indirect.

I should post a picture on how I placed my coals to show the direct zone and indirect zone. Keeping the indirect is very important to have a safe zone when cooking (i.e. not burn everything).

Steven Raichlen often mentions the 3 zones of cooking : indirect (next to the coal but not above), direct (above the coal) and melting metal (almost or in the coal). I mainly use the first 2 as melting metal is a bit much IMO...

For those who asked, I already have a chimney and I use it a lot.

Top Bottom