What's new

Weatherproofing For Leather Boots?

What do you all use to waterproof leather boots. I don't think a leather boot can be 100% waterproof as even Gore-Tex can fail. I believe that the only 100% waterproof boot is rubber. Still things can be applied to make them more water/weather resistant. I have tried them all including bear grease, mink oil, snow proof, and silicone spray. Some worked ok and some not very good. I am ready to grease up my leather boots for the upcoming hunting season; just wondering what other guys use.
cottontop

I put my boots in front of a heat source, warm them up and apply this stuff. Be sure to rub it in and remove the excess, add extra product to the seams. Put the boots near a heat source overnight, but not too close. Use a blow dryer to heat post and pre application if you don't use a heater in the home.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Atsko-1330-no-seal-8-Oz-Sno-Seal-All-Season-Leather-Protectant/22229564

This!

I've had the same pair of Sorels for over 10 years. One application when I got them has lasted this long.

Believe it or not I put 5w-20 on and let it sit overnight. This seems to keep the leather soft and waterproof. I have been doing this on my redwings for 10 years.

I've always liked Mink Oil for my red Wings, after a few years the boots just seem to be pretty impervious to most water, IMO of course. This take a while though.

I've been using Obenauf's Heavy Duty LP for several years on all my outdoor leather, including my hat. I clean my hat by simply sticking it under the faucet, then flipping the water off.

Obenauf's is one of the best leather conditioner out there, i use the oil not the grease. Leather is meant to breath, put some wool socks on and go. Your feet are going to get wet and it is best that they breath.

For my boots that use waterproof membranes e.g., Gore-Tex I use NikWax. Basically its wax in a aqueous solution, comes in neutral and colors. Leys the WP membranes breath and does attack the threads used for stitching. I became familiar with the product after owning a few Danner boots. Works very well.

Sno-Seal works very well to, I apply it then hit the boots with a heat gun to melt it in.

Obenauf's Heavy Duty LP or Montana Pitch Blend Leather Dressing. I use the Montana Pitch Blend. It has Pitch and Bee's Wax and nothing that will degrade the leather or the stitching that holds the leather together. When you get done applying by hand your skin smells like honey and is super soft.

i use kiwi clear wax.clean them first the wax then frac out of them,with extra on the welts.i regularly stand in 6-8 inches of water and cant stand my feet getting wet.

Last edited:
I've been using Obenauf's Heavy Duty LP for several years on all my outdoor leather, including my hat. I clean my hat by simply sticking it under the faucet, then flipping the water off.

This is probably one of the best products out there. I use this on my "work" boots and then just boot oil on my daily office wear boots. I've always heard mink oil was not a good product to use on boots. Here is a good read about boot care, it is a little long though.

http://www.hotshotfitness.com/whitesfirefightingboots.html

Switched from Sno Seal to Fluid Film three years ago, never going back. Either way, clean boots near the wood stove helps, or a hair dryer.

Top Bottom