What's new

Weather driven tobacco selections.....

Isaac

B&B Tease-in-Residence
So as the weather starts to cool down and the leaves change color, many of use start digging out more heartier blends. English and Balkan blends start to make their way into the POTD pics. This had me ponder why that is? Why do we go for those heavier blends? I know that I dont smoke outside, and my temperature is controlled. But, for some reason it just feels right to pack away the ligher blends.

Is there any rationale behind this common thought process?

In Morgan Freeman's voice: It's an internal instinct that is locked away deep in the psyche of the pipe smoker. Like the birds migrating south for the winter, they know not why they do what they do, they only know that they must.

I think for me it may be the opposite that is true, and it's more related to the summer heat pushing me away from the lat blends. My Va selections stay pretty much the same throughout the year, it's the balkans and aros that go away when the golf clubs come out.

It always seems colder in the house when it's cold outside and heat is on 70 than it does in the summer when it's hot outside and the ac is set on 70.....even on low humidity days.

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
I think it just goes hand in hand with the rest of the season changes. Fresh and bright fruits and vegetables become more scarce, the delicate aromas of flowers and fresh rainfall gives way to burning leaves and fireplaces. Most people probably eat richer foods and more calorie dense meals for comfort and warmth. Roasts, soups, and oven baked foods are great to help warm a dwelling, but could also mess with the senses. If I'm smelling a rich beef roast for half the day, I might need a smoke with a little more presence to really compete for my olfactory senses attention.

Years ago, the latakia heavy blends would come out for me in the cooler weather, also. Oddly enough, that's not the case the last few years. Now, I want the dark & rich black cavendish aromatics. Maybe the same premise but a totally different type of tobacco. I tend to think it's what Erik said above.

I know i do.
A va blend is summertime for me. Does not tasts as good in wintertime.
But now with the current temperatures. It feels like summer, so capstan blue it is.

And it's more related to the summer heat pushing me away from the lat blends.
Tobacco use is now a well-documented threat to global health. It kills more than 7 million people a
year and is currently the world’s single biggest cause of preventable death. Much of what is known
about the risks of tobacco, however, concerns the direct impact (in terms of morbidity and mortality)
of first-hand and second-hand smoke on people’s health. What we have yet to do as a public health
community is draw attention to the myriad other ways in which tobacco growth, production and
consumption impact human development.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
And it's more related to the summer heat pushing me away from the lat blends.
Tobacco use is now a well-documented threat to global health. It kills more than 7 million people a
year and is currently the world’s single biggest cause of preventable death. Much of what is known
about the risks of tobacco, however, concerns the direct impact (in terms of morbidity and mortality)
of first-hand and second-hand smoke on people’s health. What we have yet to do as a public health
community is draw attention to the myriad other ways in which tobacco growth, production and
consumption impact human development.

We don't do the "hazards of tobacco" thing here.
Everyone here is an adult and is well aware of any potential risks associated with the hobby.

I like my vapers and English all throughout the year. But they definitely get lighter in the summer and heavier in the winter. But also the food and drink get heartier and more filling. Summer is time for light and refreshing meals. Winter is stick to your ribs food. Same with my tobacco rotation.

I like my vapers and English all throughout the year. But they definitely get lighter in the summer and heavier in the winter. But also the food and drink get heartier and more filling. Summer is time for light and refreshing meals. Winter is stick to your ribs food. Same with my tobacco rotation.
RookieGuy! I haven't seen you post here in a long time. Whassup!

Since my weather has yet to change significantly, I have made no significant change in my tobacco choices. Still burley mostly with some Virginias, or mixes of both. When and if we finally see some cold weather, with or without rain, I'll consider getting out an English blend.

I think for me it may be the opposite that is true, and it's more related to the summer heat pushing me away from the lat blends. My Va selections stay pretty much the same throughout the year, it's the balkans and aros that go away when the golf clubs come out.
I think this is true for me as well. Although we are warm to hot most of the year.

seabee1999

On the lookout for new chicks
C78BF637-85AF-4B50-BE6E-A66F3ABE7FA9.jpeg
So thought I’d chime in on this thread a touch later and a bit tongue in cheek. Generally I’ll smoke Virginias, VaPers and aromatics. If it’s really warm outside I’ll smoke an aromatic. For me they tend to be lighter on the nicotine.

With that being said, after the evening we had last night, I’ll look to smoke one of the few English blends I do have. I live in Norman, OK and parts of our town got hit very hard. In fact we had to go into our cellar. Tomorrow it’s supposed to be fairly mild and sunny. Far cry different than from a few nights back.

My coworker’s barn. This was a mile away from us.

B31A3573-177D-41F0-948E-34C40A83A8D7.jpeg

Top Bottom