What's new

Wearing Magnifying Glasses: In Search of the Perfect Shave

So after a life-time of ultra-sharp vision (distance is still 20/15 or better) the close-up vision has needed a little help since I hit the mid-century mark two years ago. So when reading I now often use a pair of dime-store 1.25 magnifiers for reading.

But had not thought about wearing them while shaving, until (in a brain-fog) some weeks back I needed to read something or other between shower and shave and I just never removed the specs.

Hmm. Now I can REALLY see what I'm doing. I'd tried a magnifying mirror before to similar effect, but shaving with glasses (as one who saw not habituated to them) seemed "odd." But not anymore :tongue_sm

So, any are any of you "normally" sighted gents using reading glasses to shave with?

Or thinking you may run to the Dollar Store now that the idea is raised in that on-going quest for the perfect shave?

Bill

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
Bill:
Reading glasses would do me no good, but I think a 'retractable / telescopic, wall mounted mirror' would definitely save you (me and many other members), some mild / moderate / severe back pain bending over the basin trying to get a closer look in the mirror (I wear no-line bifocal glasses and without my glasses...my eyes are very, very weak).
proxy.php

Now all I have to do is get the Mrs. on board with my plan, but you know the old saying..."It's her home...I just live in it". :001_rolle

Christopher
proxy.php

PS You can tell you're getting old when;

You can't 'burn the midnight oil' past 9:00pm
proxy.php

Bill:
Reading glasses would do me no good, but I think a 'retractable / telescopic, wall mounted mirror' would definitely save you (me and many other members), some mild / moderate / severe back pain bending over the basin trying to get a closer look in the mirror (I wear no-line bifocal glasses and without my glasses...my eyes are very, very weak).
proxy.php

Now all I have to do is get the Mrs. on board with my plan, but you know the old saying..."It's her home...I just live in it". :001_rolle

Christopher
proxy.php

PS You can tell you're getting old when;

You can't 'burn the midnight oil' past 9:00pm
proxy.php

LOL Christopher :lol:

I'm just finding these reading glasses are making are making every little hair and bit of stubble that much BIGGER. And none are going to escape.

Perhaps I'm easily amused?

Bill (who loves a close shave)

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
So after a life-time of ultra-sharp vision (distance is still 20/15 or better) the close-up vision has needed a little help since I hit the mid-century mark two years ago. So when reading I now often use a pair of dime-store 1.25 magnifiers for reading.

20/15? For most of my life, I would have called you four eyes. Now, I tend to say "who's there?" a lot.

Close range vision really deteriorates quickly.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
It's not that my eyes are going, it's just that my arms are too short. :lol:

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
LOL Christopher :lol:

I'm just finding these reading glasses are making are making every little hair and bit of stubble that much BIGGER. And none are going to escape.

Perhaps I'm easily amused?

Bill (who loves a close shave)
Bill:
Like you, I love :001_tt1: a close shave, but in my case, I have a medicine cabniet to the right of the main mirror, but the only thing 'that grinds my gears' is the fact that the cabniet mirror does not 'pull' towards me...but away from me :sneaky2:

So, until I can get the Mrs. on board with my plan in installing a 'retractable / telescopic, wall mounted mirror', I must suffer some mild back (it helps that I wear a back brace from past surgeries), pain bending over the basin trying to get a closer look in the cabniet mirror (or just sitting on the vanity / basin for a closer look...without my glasses on). :glare:

Christopher
proxy.php

Bill:
Like you, I love :001_tt1: a close shave, but in my case, I have a medicine cabniet to the right of the main mirror, but the only thing 'that grinds my gears' is the fact that the cabniet mirror does not 'pull' towards me...but away from me :sneaky2:

So, until I can get the Mrs. on board with my plan in installing a 'retractable / telescopic, wall mounted mirror', I must suffer some mild back (it helps that I wear a back brace from past surgeries), pain bending over the basin trying to get a closer look in the cabniet mirror (or just sitting on the vanity / basin for a closer look...without my glasses on). :glare:

Christopher
proxy.php

I hope there is a retractable telescoping mirror in your near future. You ought not be triggering back pain just to shave. And some of those chromed telescoping mirrors are great looking. If memory serves, some of these mirrors are normal on one side and magnifying on the other, which would be pretty cool.

Bill

A really bright shaving light will give you a much better look. Like reading in the sun, your pupils contract in the bright light, you get the pin hold camera effect and your vision improves. I recently started doing this and noticed the improvement.

I made the same discovery this weekend! I am 49, and began needing reading glasses last year. I had purchased a new Dovo head shaver, and needed to read the instructions. I glanced in the mirror over the sink, and realized I could see my whiskers much better. So, yes I use my reading glasses now when I shave.

Better than 20/15 now. At 50. But more like 20/05 as a youth. No one has ever called me four-eyes. Till this shave thing :001_rolle

And when I need to read something now :tongue_sm

Bill
20/05?!?! Goodness gracious! Ted Williams was "only" 20/10! What did you do? Baseball player? Fighter pilot? Brain surgeon?

The half-century mark has left me with the need for reading glasses as well. Damn frustrating - one of the few things that make me feel my age :angry:

But I am not sure how well this would work for me - they tend to only work within 18 inches (45 cm) - I don't know if I stand that close to the mirror when I shave.

Just heading for a shave now and I'm going to give it a try.

20/05?!?! Goodness gracious! Ted Williams was "only" 20/10! What did you do? Baseball player? Fighter pilot? Brain surgeon?

My father was a fighter/bomber pilot in WWII (USMC) flying F4U Corsairs. He knew Ted William an the two had "vision contests". Ted did not enjoy losing. I inherited my father's good eyesight.

Filmmaker.

Bill

The half-century mark has left me with the need for reading glasses as well. Damn frustrating - one of the few things that make me feel my age :angry:

But I am not sure how well this would work for me - they tend to only work within 18 inches (45 cm) - I don't know if I stand that close to the mirror when I shave.

Just heading for a shave now and I'm going to give it a try.

I'm with you on frustrations of (I don't want to call it) "aging." I just try to remember that it beats the alternative :biggrin1:

Ah yes, the range can be a problem. We have a medicine cabinet mirror well situated but you make a good point.

Happy shaving!

Bill

Top Bottom