What's new

"Wearing in" an edge?

Gents,
I know this will probably incur the wrath of the sharper-the-better purists, but this is my experience. I got a straight, shave ready, and the edge was indeed exceptionally sharp when I got it. I've been shaving now over a month, say maybe 20 shaves clocked. In the beginning it was very unforgiving, undoubtedly due to my poor technique. I have done nothing but strop the blade since. I feel the blade is maybe a little less sharp, a lot more forgiving (maybe my technique has helped) but I just got my best shave yet off it, so close to bbs, and no irritation or weepers!

So, my question is this, does anybody else find their blade gives a better shave once worn in a little, and secondly, does anybody think that its maybe more plausible that what I'm experiencing is that the supplier finished the blade on a low grit stone and that I have just managed to strop/shave out the rough edge and I'm now shaving with a smoother edge?

could be all the above points but deponds on the hone

a thuri edge for me is ideal and a coti edge forgiving from the start but the slate edge needs a few uses

It all depends on the stone and the honer, but yeah, I've had edges get nicer after the second shave. Not drastically duller...just a little more forgiving. Lots of careful stropping helps too.

Likely improved technique.
Consider yourself lucky... My technique was blowing edges right and left and I was heading back to the hones every couple of weeks.
Now, Doc and I both have been running several months on one blade with nothing more than stropping.

My better shaves are a couple shaves after shaving. But, that is personal preference. Some feel strongly otherwise.

If you didn't strop, how many shaves could you get out of a straight razor before it pulled too much? Two? I think that implies that you shave with a honed edge for only two shaves, and thereafter are shaving with a strop produced edge.

It took a few more shaves before you felt like you dropped into a groove. That seems to indicate technique improvement to me.

My conclusion and inference and guess is that you are dealing with both edge settling in and improved technique.

Likely improved technique.
Consider yourself lucky... My technique was blowing edges right and left and I was heading back to the hones every couple of weeks.
Now, Doc and I both have been running several months on one blade with nothing more than stropping.

Wait a minute... So a bad shaving technique will dull the edge faster? So if I have a REALLY bad technique, that might explain why my blade is so dull after two shaves. Eureka!

(passes commenting on this one...too addicted to honing to go more than a couple shaves without honing something else...carry on...)

Wait a minute... So a bad shaving technique will dull the edge faster? So if I have a REALLY bad technique, that might explain why my blade is so dull after two shaves. Eureka!

Absolutely.
Too steep of a blade angle will kill the edge, cause irritation, and deliver a poor shave.

Thanks for the feedback gents. I have always stropped before each shave, and give it a good strop, maybe 50 quick passes. I've been stropping a lot in an attempt to maximise how long the blade holds its edge because I don't have any honing gear yet, and could be a while before I can fork out for some hardware, so glad to hear it might hold for a few months.
Had another shave since posting, and would have to say I think its got to be a bit of technique and a bit of the egde "settling". Definitely getting a better shave, but think the blade is more forgiving. When it was fresh, the slightest mistake would result in a cut or the slightest pressure a burn or weeper. Feel now I'd have to be very lax to cut myself and can get away with a little pressure, especially on my final ATG pass. But for sure my strokes have gotten much braver and much more deliberate, so I'm sure that's helping.
Now I just need to get over to the hones thread to figure out where to start on that front.

honed very sharp and very smooth is the key not just sharp.

If you get a very sharp blade in the mail just strop it out longer and it will correct itself unless there is chipping on the edge from over honing or pressured honing on certain stones.

Top Bottom