What's new

Wearing blades evenly

How do you even up the wear of your DE blades? The other day I noticed that one edge of the current DE blade I was using was decidedly blunter than the other. I concluded that as they started off equally keen one must side must have been used more frequently than the other. But how do you know which edge of the blade you are using? Feather and Merkur blades have little identifying bar-marks at the end of the blade. However you can't see them when you are using the razor as it is all covered with splutter. Persona number the edges of their blades but the number is hidden within the razor head. Derby don't have any marks and I haven't got round to looking at the other brands.
To even things up I usually shave half my face with one edge and then switch the razor round and do the other half with the other edge but often I get carried away and fail to rotate the razor. Also its not a good idea to do a whole pass with one edge and then do the second pass with the other edge as the second pass usually has less stubble to mow through and will wear less. Does anyone have any ideas?

The numbers and markings mean nothing, they're for QA during manufacture.

Shave, flip, shave, flip is the easiest way to get roughly even wear without overthinking it. Even so, don't sweat it, blades are usually tossed before you'd notice any usable difference between sides.

Just aim to use a blade evenly over one shave, there's many ways to do this; the most common being below.

Stroke, Flip, Stroke, Wash the razor and repeat.

A different part of above is to divide your face into areas and pick a side per area.

Do half of your face with one side, then flip and do the other half.

Do a pass with one side and the next pass with the other (if you have uneven pass numbers ahh well).

Top Bottom