What's new

Wearing 2 or more scents at one time... good idea or bad idea?

Let me tell you what I have been doing a lot lately.

I'll shower and shave, and then apply a modest, inexpensive aftershave.

Then I will often apply a designer cologne, such as a Penhalligon's fragrance or Dior Sauvage, or something else.

And lately, I have come to enjoy using body talc. It just feels some damn good and clean and comfortable.

So yeah, there's 3 competing scents on me.

Does anyone do this? Is this a good idea or a bad idea?

Then I will often apply a designer cologne, such as a Penhalligon's fragrance or Dior Sauvage, or something else.

And lately, I have come to enjoy using body talc. It just feels some damn good and clean and comfortable.

I try not to use more than one scent at a time . Most shaving products have different scents , so it’s hard to avoid completely.

I do not use a scented AS in order to avoid this, but if the AS were mildly scented I would not worry about it. I use various bath and shaving soaps that are scented, and I like talcs, too. I do not think the mix of scents is problematic.

Occasionally I'll use a cream, aftershave, and cologne that seem like they go together, but usually it's just whatever cream I feel like using, whatever a/s I feel like using, whatever cologne. The scent of most creams and aftershaves (heck, most edt's, too) doesn't last long so it works for me.

I like to pair aftershave and edt’s. The aftershave usually burns off pretty quick anyhow. Deodorant is old spice classic and talc has some scent too. No worries.

I don't do it myself but I know of people who do and they enjoy it. I certainly don't see anything wrong with it because if your nose agrees then why not?

I meant to say earlier that there are plenty of folks out there into intentionally "layering" different full on edts. When I wrote earlier "if the AS were mildly scented I would not worry about it," I really meant that even though I personally do not, for the most part anyway, intentionally layer scents, if the AS were mildly scented, "I" I would not worry about it. I do not at all mean to dis anyone's intentionally layering whatever pleases them.

I suppose there is also the matter of scents such as the Escentric Molecule 01, 02, 03, and 04, and the knock offs of same available on ebay and other places, which are exclusively one scent component. For instance, Molecule 02 is ambroxan and perfumers alcohol. I have not done it or often done it, but it seems to be these would be perfect for adjusting or adding to particular other scents, to create something with greater deep or complexity. 02 in particular is attempting to create ambergris, and is very subtle on its own. It might well enhance the base of other scents.

Considering the cost of Penhaligon or Dior, I wouldn't adulterate them with any other scent...personally.
The talcum powder isn't likely to project enough for anyone to notice it and the after-shave will probably be DOA before you leave the house, so...your sillage should be just the cologne.
Still, I would worry that the after-shave might react with the cologne and alter it's profile in some way.
I know there are some types who simply like to tinker with things...fabricate...alter...modify.
But I believe in accepting one's limitations and leaving perfumery to the experts.
You wouldn't dump a Manhattan into a Martini and drink it, would you?

Whatever floats your boat. My own perspective is why wear two different scents at the same time? Invariably they might conflict with one another or cancel each other out. I only wear scented aftershave. If I use a cologne it is only later in the day after the aftershave is long gone.

If I was going to use a cologne, I would use witch hazel as an after shave, any scent it has quickly dissipates.

I have been loving 2 frags lately: Guerlain Vetiver and Burberry Brit. They both hang very close to me however, and I wish they projected a bit more. Then for the heck of it this morning, after giving myself a couple squirts of the Guerlain, I adventured to try one good squirt of the Burberry, right on top. Wow! Not only do the two scents play very well together, I feel like the scent projects more now, without being loud or offensive in any way. And I know this is not strength-related as it doesn't matter how many squirts I do of each one, they will remain very close to me on their own. Combined, just lovely!

They both hang very close to me however
Apologies if this is considered a hijack. What you describe is exactly what I wish for :) I love a lot of the scents in the various products (pre, lather, post, etc) but having experienced cologne headaches from a coworker's overpowering something awful I am *super* worried about projecting too much. I want to enjoy my scents personally and share only with those close enough to whisper in my ear :p

No worries sir, doesn't seem like a hijack to me. And welcome to the forum!

Every fragrance projects differently on my skin. I'm not sure how this translates from person to person however. I consider Guerlain Vetiver and Burberry Brit to stay pretty close to me, but can't say the same will happen for you, just have to try them I suppose. They project more when combined, as I indicated above, and is a good balance for me.

Grey Flannel has a very loud projection and Tabac EDC is somewhere in-between the above two. One thing I've noticed is that certain scent ingredients just grate against my senses and no matter how close they stay, they are way too loud!

I'd do some investigative work to find out what these offending fragrances are, this way you can nail down exactly what it is you do not like. I am personally not a fan of some woods, no matter how little a frag contains, that is all I will smell.

Hope this helps!

I've drawn up a list of the smell of all my aftershaves, balms and cologne scents and try to match and layer them on occasions

Top Bottom