What's new

Wear Blue for Autism Awareness

My sister is the Regional Chair Person for Autism Speaks here in KS,and I think NE & IA. April is Autism Awareness Month, and Autism Speaks is asking people to wear blue to show support. I have a sign in my front yard and have Blue "Christmas" Lights on my house. I am asking all who can and if they think of it wear a fragrance that either has Blue in it's name or is blue in color as much as they can in April.

Jumping on my soapbox for a moment. My sis is a single mom with 2 teenagers both diagnosed with Aspbergers Syndrome, a form of Autism. My niece who is the oldest is a JR in HS and was selected to be a member of National Honor Society last fall. My Nephew is a sophmore this year and is a great kid to be around, just does not know how to express emotions to well. Most Health Insurance does not cover paying for the Dr visits or anything health related with Autism. My sis has been going around and helping to try and pass this into law with different state legislatures. Her ex is around but does not help much, I think the kids being diagnosed with Autism helped him divorce my sister. If there is a Casey's General Store in your Area you can donate a dollar to help Autism Speaks this month.

Thanks in advance for ANY help you may give.

My sister is the Regional Chair Person for Autism Speaks here in KS,and I think NE & IA. April is Autism Awareness Month, and Autism Speaks is asking people to wear blue to show support. I have a sign in my front yard and have Blue "Christmas" Lights on my house. I am asking all who can and if they think of it wear a fragrance that either has Blue in it's name or is blue in color as much as they can in April.

Jumping on my soapbox for a moment. My sis is a single mom with 2 teenagers both diagnosed with Aspbergers Syndrome, a form of Autism. My niece who is the oldest is a JR in HS and was selected to be a member of National Honor Society last fall. My Nephew is a sophmore this year and is a great kid to be around, just does not know how to express emotions to well. Most Health Insurance does not cover paying for the Dr visits or anything health related with Autism. My sis has been going around and helping to try and pass this into law with different state legislatures. Her ex is around but does not help much, I think the kids being diagnosed with Autism helped him divorce my sister. If there is a Casey's General Store in your Area you can donate a dollar to help Autism Speaks this month.

Thanks in advance for ANY help you may give.

I completely understand what your sister is going through. I have a high functioning autistic son whose 15. He's a great kid and is doing very well in school (honors student) but socially is way off what kids his age should be at. The costs are immense and there's little help available from insurance or government sources - especially if you earn any kind of income.

That said, I'm no fan of Autism Speaks. They fund research but families that are affected need financial aid not research dollars. Plus, too many folks at Autism Speaks were way too close to the folks that insisted that Autism was caused by mercury preservatives in vaccinations. They gave out bad information long after they were proven wrong and made the cause look like a bunch of raving lunatics.

Good luck to your sister. It sounds like she's doing an amazing job with her children and no matter what I think of Autism Speaks as an organization I have a great deal of respect for those who volunteer and do the hard work for a cause.

Top Bottom