What's new

Weaning off daily hair washing

I keep my hair fairly short and unstyled (no gels, pomades, etc.), but can't stand how it looks and feels first thing in the morning. However, I do want to heed the warnings about overwashing. I do try to use conditioner for washing more often instead of shampoo, but would love to hear any tips on how to cut back more.

A lot of barbers these days don't recommend washing too much. Daily (or more than that) washing is s a fairly modern idea, anyway, that's mostly gone by the wayside.

To me, a lot depends on what you do and where you've been during a day. If you work outside or in an industrial environment you may find yourself covered in dirt or debris each day and have no choice but a full clean-up. But lots of folks, including me, work in an office-environment and it's just not necessary. Also, lots of guys put product of some kind in their hair every day. It's often not evident whether hair has been washed when there's product evident. For me, I use hair tonic every day and every day washing has never been necessary. Rinsing often removes a lot of product.

You might experiment with just using conditioner every day and washing a couple of times a week. You also might try using some sort of product and cut back on the washing. Sweaty outdoor or indoor activity and swimming is always an exception for me. I would suggest you try different scenarios until you find one that works for you.

What warnings? Old wives’ tales? Do what you’re comfortable with, but I assure you that if you cut back significantly, you will offend those who have to get close to you. Your hair, or lack thereof, is genetically determined and has nothing to do with the frequency of your product use. Maintain a healthy scalp, and wash with a frequency that is appropriate to the season and your physical activity level.

I haven't used shampoo for a month now. I have a strip wash every day and a plain bath 3 times a week.
No soap, shampoo, products, moisturisers, cleansers, industrial deodorants or commercial toothpastes either.

I use simple tooth powder and a plain bicarb/shea deodorant during my working week. I no longer put A/S on my skin. I use cologne on my collar and cuffs instead.

I made my own shaving oil. Whilst i can't use it all the time, i limit my shaving soap usage as much as possible. (Its my one vice tbh).

I use my shaving oil mix in the bath. Its fantastic and makes me feel great ( reminds me of my mums Avon SSS)

I smell fine. I ask my female collegues at work how i am appearing and they notice only positives.
My hair is better than ever and my skin has noticeably improved.

Cutting right back on toiletries and cosmetics has been a revelation.

Don't Google product ingredients!
Its a dark rabbit hole which will have you looking at the simplest of creams and soaps with fear and trepidation lol.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I know that I learned in Beauty school nearly 40 years ago that it was especially recommended that women with long hair most definitely should NOT wash their hair more often than once a week. The sebum production is directly increased by washing. After a month or so it slows down. Daily bathing is a relatively recent practice. I'm glad I was born when I was. I'm spoiled by indoor plumbing.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
I still Shampoo my hair everyday. When I was a young whippersnapper my mother used to wash my hair a few times a week, not everyday. Good on you for trying the no cosmetic, no soap route. I personally could not.

Two showers a day and to hair washes a day for me please.
Never had a problem.
I wear a buzzcut anyhow so there's not too much to wash anyways

For me, I work in a manufacturing environment where I sweat a lot and get dirty/oily, so for me theres no option. If I dont, my hair gets oily and nasty.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
For me, I work in a manufacturing environment where I sweat a lot and get dirty/oily, so for me theres no option. If I dont, my hair gets oily and nasty.
We is all different, that is for sure. I used to cut guys hair that worked for GM and their hair was oily from working. I was always amazed that they were breathing that in every day and most of them smoked too. My Dad did it his whole life. Lived to almost 80.

Top Bottom