What's new

We killed the golden goose (aka DE shaving is a hipster fad)

Status
Not open for further replies.
90% of ads are directed towards people who already buy the product. I doubt it was meant to be for women. Who has their wife decide what razors to use? That would be a tiny percentage of the market.

Mums buying for their first-time-shaving sons maybe? A whole generation indoctrinated. There’s also the array of canned goo they make. Women could easily choose that for their men.

And also, if ads are directed to people already buying the product, doesn’t that defeat the purpose of advertising? Maybe to prompt those who already buy to buy MORE, I don’t know.Would this ad make people buy more?

Apparently the Gillette arm of P&G made a USD 8 billion loss last financial year. People are blaming the ad, but mostly I think it’s due to hipsters turning to DE :p

I was insulted and I am not a horrible human being nor am I toxic.

If you buy into that stuff maybe it says something about you but I would be cautious before projecting those beliefs onto other people whom you do not know.
And you're not a horrible person according
To who ???
I would guess the answer too be, according too your biggest admirer,
Who is most likely you.

As far as I can tell, it was directed at a cliche"d, derogatory stereotype that I have never met in real life. It painted all men as mysoginists and that is offensive. If a tampon commercial painted all women as vapid, gold digging manipulators would that be OK?

I'm going with No.

And also, if ads are directed to people already buying the product, doesn’t that defeat the purpose of advertising? Maybe to prompt those who already buy to buy MORE, I don’t know.Would this ad make people buy more?

Apparently the Gillette arm of P&G made a USD 8 billion loss last financial year. People are blaming the ad, but mostly I think it’s due to hipsters turning to DE :p
Defeat the purpose? I just said it’s 90% the purpose. To retain people not to have them buy more. Also I never said it was effective. In fact I said it wasn’t.

Did your mother buy your first razor? Mine didn’t. I wouldn’t think many do. That sounds odd.

Or less people are shaving. Hitting home with clippers and the look of a 3 day growth. Makes more sense to me personaly

Defeat the purpose? I just said it’s 90% the purpose. To retain people not to have them buy more. Also I never said it was effective. In fact I said it wasn’t.

Did your mother buy your first razor? Mine didn’t. I wouldn’t think many do. That sounds odd.

Did you interpret my post as an attack? Your post is very defensive. A common trait of the soy generation is playing the victim. Just sayin’.

I actually started shaving with a DE which I stole from my Dad!

Did you interpret my post as an attack? Your post is very defensive. A common trait of the soy generation is playing the victim. Just sayin’.

Well to solve this riddle we must know who bought your dad the razor? His wife or his mum? Or did he steal it from his father.

Ok? I think you’re trying to call me a name or something? Idk?
I don’t feel like a victim. Who is the “soy generation”? I think I might be too old to be included.

I think it simpler than that. Gillett had become so arrogant and condescending to their customer base with their $5.00 replacement cartridges that they came to believe that there was no limit as to how much they could insult their customers. Moreover, the customer was so stupid that he would actually enjoy being stereotyped, insulted and brow beaten.

I am sure they must have done group testing on the commercials before they were released....

er...you mean they didn't?

Put a few hipsters, or college students, in a room and ask them about their attitudes towards toxic masculinity. You'll get an answer. And that answer will be predicated on the fact that it's being observed. Then ram that commercial down their throats and stand them infront of a Gillette display in the local supermarket. Will you get the same response when no one is looking? Apparently not. Smart social researchers have long used projective techniques etc. to get around the subjects' desire to come up with the right answers.

Big part of P&G's problem seems to be that marketing is in the hands of true believers. They are more concerned with changing the world that with making money. Poor fools do not seem to understand that the two usually go together.

The only people they insulted are horrible individuals. Everyone else was able to move on with there day as if it was just another commercial.

Exactly. Most of those affected never even tweeted in anger. They just went on with their lifes, but without Gillette. Or that much Gillette.

It's so easy. Dollar Shave Club, Phillips, Palmolive. Plenty of alternatives.

Since married women do a lot of buying of men's products, I have a hunch that married women, those straight women who not only choose to live with a man but also care enough about him to buy him foam, did not like the commercial either. Guess what, maybe straight women like masculinity in a man. Maybe they do not want to see him using a product they have come to assocoate with so called beta cucks?

And what mom wants a soyboy son to scared to talk to girls? After all, they normally want grandchildren.

interesting
I think the ad showed both sides right? One guy spoke out, if I remember correctly. It was a positive commercial showing that there’s room to grow amongst men. Sadly most men seemed to identify with disgusting underbelly of manliness rather than take it as nod to real men standing up to their devolved male counterparts.
Honestly, I really feel sorry for if those are the kinds of men you associate with or had as role models. None of the men I grew up with, nor any of the men I associate with were or are like that at all. And I can assure you that the men I grew up with were, "manly men".

Wow, there’s ad hominem all up in this joint.

Yeah, time for me to bow out. I am taking this personally when there really isn't any reason to do so.

I just don't like advertising that insults anybody. There is no need for it.

I apologize to Rigeldust and Fhalden.

Yeah, time for me to bow out. I am taking this personally when there really isn't any reason to do so.

I just don't like advertising that insults anybody. There is no need for it.

I apologize to Rigeldust and Fhalden.
Thank you.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom