What's new

We killed the golden goose (aka DE shaving is a hipster fad)

Status
Not open for further replies.
No? You’re again sensing an attack when there there wasn’t one?
I still don’t know what this soy generation is. You’re insinuating that I’m playing the victim. I ask for clarification and I say that I don’t feel like a victim then you say I’m doing it again. I don’t even understand how playing a victim would help in a conversation.
I’m not expecting to win anything here. I’m just expressing my thoughts.

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
I didn't like the ad over all. I have known folks that fit the "profile" of the male vision portrayed in the ad, but I felt it was too broad of a brush. They did get people talking and thinking about things.

I think long term the ad doesn't really matter. Look around here. How long ago was that ad? What was going on right before Christmas? Lots of folks here salivating over a Gillette branded DE on Amazon and just a week ago more salivation over King C Gillette branded gear.

I feel like the few that were offended enough to swear off Gillette forever are a rounding error in Gillette's sales, especially longer term. People forgive and forget, life goes on. I feel like if Gillette re-released a genuine Fatboy, all would be forgiven.

What kept me away from DE shaving in the past is this false belief DE shaving takes so much time to learn and is complicated. There's just so much tutorial information out there now. Here, YouTube..everywhere. Spent two days researching and reading around the web and watched several videos. after TWO days learning I had a BBS shave on my first DE shave. It's just not that hard to do really. The internet has changed the learning curve for guys interested and created a friendly supporting community of like minded individuals. That's just my opinion why traditional shaving is growing.

None of the men I grew up with, nor any of the men I associate with were or are like that at all. And I can assure you that the men I grew up with were, "manly men".

Back in the day there was absolutely no honour in treating a women badly. When women began to achieve social equality, some weak men were bothered by that development. 'Manly men', I doubt, were part of that group.

I didn't like the ad over all. I have known folks that fit the "profile" of the male vision portrayed in the ad, but I felt it was too broad of a brush. They did get people talking and thinking about things.

I think long term the ad doesn't really matter. Look around here. How long ago was that ad? What was going on right before Christmas? Lots of folks here salivating over a Gillette branded DE on Amazon and just a week ago more salivation over King C Gillette branded gear.

I feel like the few that were offended enough to swear off Gillette forever are a rounding error in Gillette's sales, especially longer term. People forgive and forget, life goes on. I feel like if Gillette re-released a genuine Fatboy, all would be forgiven.
Not me, I have no qualms buying older Gillette, it was a different world then. New stuff? Never.

Back in the day there was absolutely no honour in treating a women badly. When women began to achieve social equality, some weak men were bothered by that development. 'Manly men', I doubt, were part of that group.
Huh? If there was no honor in treating women badly, as you say, then why would they have to achieve social equality?

Huh? If there was no honor in treating women badly, as you say, then why would they have to achieve social equality?

Huh? What? Biology has dictated women have been treated differently over the course of time. Differently does not equate to badly. Women have been traditionally in been in predominantly maternal roles. Over the course of time, thinking has changed*. You might have noticed, RigelDust, that women now occupy very senior positions. Some countries even let them become Prime Ministers or Presidents (ikr, have you noticed? How bout that! But not the USA). This is an example of social equality. We have not achieved full social equality as yet, but great progress has been made (in the Western world, at least). None of this equates to treating women badly. Men treating women badly is what has been portrayed by Gillette. And, quite simply, most men do not treat women in this way.

*The only caveat I would place on this is that 'time' must equate to the living memories of those walking on the earth right now. I'm sure if you wound back to say the stone ages, treatment would not be good.

This discussion took an...odd turn. The Gillette campaign, if I remember right, was basically know better, do better. They just said it in an incredibly awkward, insulting (through use of a broad brush) way. Almost as if they fell into the classic trap of confusing the loudest voices as the majority of voices. However, in the end, I'd like to believe that we're all adult enough to recognize that failed add campaign for what it was, a failed add campaign.

Oh. Before moving on, there were questions about definitions. So hipsters generally latch onto mediocre old tech and avant guarde style choices more for shock value than anything. And soyboys are a new breed of male who would vote for a candidate because she's a woman and thank his wife's boyfriend for a video game.

Moving on to something closer to the original topic. I wouldn't call shaving with a single blade, no matter how many edges, a fad. More a niche. Like manual transmission cars, veganism, handwritten letters, etc. And hipsters, they're doing [activity with tools of said activity] for, for lack of a better word, cool points. See how counterculture I am? I'm bringing a Smith Corona into a coffee shop! On a fixed gear bicycle! Listening to a music group you've never heard of!

To the best of my knowledge, none of us here are shaving with our gear to impress our friends. I'll keep telling myself we're using our equipment to chase a damn good shave. We brag on said equipment not for cool points but to help each other in our chase. If I'm wrong about that, please keep it to yourself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom