What's new

We have a great community and here are a few reasons why I think so… My year in review of some interactions with a few stellar B&Bers….

As a very new member, of only seven months, all I can contribute here is my deep gratitude for the generosity and acceptance I have received during my membership, with all my threads asking for advice being met with a ton of wise, good humoured and expert responses, which has enabled me to advance to vintage SE razor appreciation in a short timeframe. Also superb advice on technique which has been given in an open minded and unpatronising way.

All the kind PIF's I have received have also deeply moved me.

This is a wonderful, perhaps unique forum. Maybe the vast and diverse life experience and demographics of the members explains it. Maybe it is just a compassionate, dare I say loving community, the gold standard of forums in kindness, generosity and the honest sharing of life experience, both good and bad.

Thank you all.

Last edited:

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
As a very new member, of only seven months, all I can contribute here is my deep gratitude for the generosity and acceptance I have received during my membership, with all my threads asking for advice being met with a ton of wise, good humoured and expert responses, which has enabled me to advance to vintage SE razor appreciation in a short timeframe. Also superb advice on technique which has been given in an open minded and unpatronising way.

All the kind PIF's I have received have also deeply moved me.

This is a wonderful, perhaps unique forum. Maybe the vast and diverse life experience and demographics of the members explains it. Maybe it is just a compassionate, dare I say loving community, unique amongst forums?

Thank you all.
But admit it. It's mostly me, right?

Lol, seriously, I am glad that you joined. This is my oasis.

I switched to DESR in 2015, and did some research online, reviews and forum sites, etc. I found I liked Badger & Blade the best. It was the most welcoming, and in my opinion, had the most knowledgeable/helpful people. I went from just picking up a few things, to full on collection mode. This was a bad thing. I had already a 'collection' issue. Hoarding, but not the dead cat/food containers under the sofa type of thing, but... more stuff than I had room for, money spent unwisely, more time acquiring stuff without using/enjoying it, etc.

I really enjoyed my time doing it, but it was a problem. I have found that some things I can get rid of in small batches, but others it has to be a clean sweep. The shaving things were a clean sweep, I got rid of everything except three razors, and a minimal amount of soap and blades. (It is impossible to be on this site and not actually say what they razors were: My birthday Gillette Super Speed Flare, My Parker C26 open comb, and my Merkur Bakelite. The Bakelite broke shortly after, so I usually just say I kept two). I was a bit fragile at the time, for a number of reasons, and I am forever thankful that I found an avenue to make a clean sweep in a way that didn't feel traumatizing (don't scoff, there are emotional reasons for 'collecting' and a sudden loss, even by your own choice, can be upsetting)... The Saint Sue Charity Auction was my saving grace. I was in no shape to try and take pictures and put the up, etc. I got hold of a mod and asked could I donate some stuff, and let them put it up. @Toothpick was wonderful about this, and let me send him the box of stuff. Partly not wanting to get caught back into things, partly feeling...embarrassed? I meant to go back to see the stuff at auction, and didn't even do that.

I was part of this community from August to October of 2015. People were kind, no one minded at all that I was a woman, or that sometimes I wrote about shaving stuff that was specifically only relevant to a woman (a forum site that shan't be named was not so good on that front), in fact a lot of guys are happy to talk about their wives and daughters experiences and suggestions. Right from the start I wasn't treated like an outsider, and given all the help in the world. It didn't take long to pick up some knowledge, and if I passed it on, no one acted like a noob shouldn't be speaking up (so long as it was basically correct info, even then it was usually just a correction).

This is a long post. But to continue the story. My set up has been bothering me for awhile. From time to time I'd look at razors in stores, in person and online. I finally decided I need a new razor. I immediately came here for advice. Sure I read some reviews, but this is where I knew I'd get the best range of opinions and suggestions. After seven years away, its almost like not having left. Same comradery, same helpfulness, same humour, same acceptance. Within a day (maybe two?) I had a majority suggesting a Gillette Slim, based on the parameters I gave. Upon review it seemed like the best idea to me too. And drum roll...the true soul of this place shining through... when I posted that I was going to go with the Slim, I almost immediately got a message from @airmech that he had a Slim he was willing to gift me, with return/PIF if I didn't like it. (I wasn't sure if he'd want to be named, so in other posts, I didn't say who, but he was okay with it, and I was going to do it when I did a reveal thread, but it seems nice to do it here, because it is exactly because of people like him that this place is special).

Seriously, in under a week, I get excellent help on picking a razor, and someone sending me one for free. In the meantime, reading a few threads on blades gave me enough info to pick a sample pack (yes, Nacets are in it), and my soap is a little low, and I'd like something better, so working on that (thread to come).

The bug has bit again. I want to get a razor because it is green with gold flecks. I think just about anywhere on else but here would find that weird. And some people here probably do, that is the other thing, we can be diverse and still get together on the stuff we agree on, or understand together. I'm trying to rationalize I don't have a slant, and get it, but there lies the path of 'just one more'. I hope to stay on for a bit, presuming I don't find it too tempting. If nothing else, I need to read more threads on how to freaking get a decent lather (one of the reasons why I'm getting a couple of better soaps).

Way too long. But, I could argue that other than saying 'this is a really special place', it does take a lot of words, to thank people and to share stories and to encourage others. I hope the new people that have spoken up stick around, you couldn't ask better for advice and guidance, even when they all disagree. :)

I think maybe I'm feeling nostalgic. And my new razor is going to arrive tomorrow! I'm insanely excited, and I will post pics/review, and if it doesn't work out for me, I'll definitely make sure it gets a good home.

The world doesn't always have good, safe, helpful, kind places, that likes/accepts/tolerates people with diverse personalities and interests, and that are even perhaps weird and nerdy, and that they all think shaving stuff is cool. The kindness truly is humbling.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
To be sure, some Barbarians do make it through the gate. Fortunately for us, our membership is quick to identify posts that are abusive, not family friendly, involve politics, or seem to be escalating between members.
The parties seem to either get with what B&B is all about, or they move on to other forums that accommodate or facilitate that kind of behavior.
Thank you to our members who keep an eye out to the benefit of our brothers and sisters here, your concern for your fellow members and for the forum in general is much appreciated.

I got away from the forum for a while due to tons of big changes in life: Lost my parents to Covid before the vaccines were out. Left a job that I had been at for 25 years, moved to Florida, and started a new job. Now I am making time for this place again and it is still great. I have found over the years that the wet shaving guys are almost all decent and accepting people.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I got away from the forum for a while due to tons of big changes in life: Lost my parents to Covid before the vaccines were out. Left a job that I had been at for 25 years, moved to Florida, and started a new job. Now I am making time for this place again and it is still great. I have found over the years that the wet shaving guys are almost all decent and accepting people.
So sorry to hear about your folks my friend. Glad you found your way back. Lol, I'm going to Florida for a week. Next month? Whenever my bride bought the tickets for. Lol, one of the advantages of being my age is I can see lifelong friends and get a suntan in the winter!

I haven't been on B&B very long. Maybe a couple of weeks. I lurked for awhile, too.

So far, I'm pleased with the contributors and the content. People are friendly, patient and knowledgeable.

I've been kind of active, primarily because I'm still on the 'honeymoon' with my new razors. And, of course, I want to let everyone know how great they are. LOL!

b/r

ON_1

My sincere condolences for the loss of your parents.

So sorry to hear about your folks my friend. Glad you found your way back. Lol, I'm going to Florida for a week. Next month? Whenever my bride bought the tickets for. Lol, one of the advantages of being my age is I can see lifelong friends and get a suntan in the winter!
Thanks, Dave. It's funny that my whole life, until I was fifty, I hated winter. Then I moved to FL and suddenly I liked it.

Top Bottom