What's new

We are going to Japan!

Well, not to live. But being young, barren, and crazy - my wife and I have decided to book MY dream vacation - a week in Japan in June.

We are going to be staying in Shinjuku, Tokyo. So any suggestions on hotspots we should check out? (we have few days in Nara and Kyoto lined up). But other than that...

Any Japanese Badgers or Badger ex-pats maybe willing to hook up for a beer?

Awesome! Love that country..might be a bit biased. LOL Anyway, you might try to hit up bluebriz as he's in Japan and pick hi brain on tips etc. Bring back pics! Oh, man how I miss Japan.

Plenty of places to go too...Harajuku, Yokohama, Shibuya, Shinagawa...be sure to visit Tokyo Tower, Imperial Palace, Tokyo Disney etc....if you are adventurous enough, you can take the Shinkansen to Mount Fuji from Tokyo.

Got to go see the craziness in Harajuku on Sunday afternoon. Lot of street dancing 50's styles and art theatre in the streets when I was there from 1984-1998. Shinjuku and Shibuya are also nice...

Shinjuku itself has enough to see to keep you busy for a week. Check out Shinjuku Gyoen National Garden, quick walk from the Shinjuku gyoenmae subway station. It's beautiful green space, and lots of room, so a great place to unwind a bit if the crowds and pace of Tokyo get to your nerves a bit.

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
Tex:
Oh man...I'm am sooooo Green with envy :drool:
I also wish you and the Mrs. an awesome time in the 'Land of the Rising Sun!
proxy.php
proxy.php

proxy.php
"A vacation used to be a luxury, but in today's world it has become a necessity". Author Unknown

Last edited:
As much as I would like to Sawblade, I don't think we will be anywhere near Aomori Prefecture.

The more I read about Japan the more I'd like to stay there, maybe work there for awhile. But alas, responsibilities here in the Cowboy State keep me from it.

The bummer is the nearest airport that will take us to LAX for our flight is in Denver - which means me driving about five hours to the airport. Looks like me and the wife are getting up early, brewing a strong pot of coffee, and going on the road - that or us just driving to Denver for the day and hanging out.

Any rich badgers out there - Wyoming NEEDS an intercontinental airport.

So out of curiosity, is Nara worth a side visit? I think we only want to go feed the deer and visit Todai-ji. We are trying to calculate the price of the Shinkansens in order to figure out what would be the best route.

So out of curiosity, is Nara worth a side visit? I think we only want to go feed the deer and visit Todai-ji. We are trying to calculate the price of the Shinkansens in order to figure out what would be the best route.

Nara is absolutely worth a look if you can swing it. Shinkansen service is definitely expensive, but it's a pretty nice experience in itself - very comfortable way to take a trip. They can take you as far as Osaka Station, but it's not too hard to get to Nara from there by local limited express line. If you decide that Nara is a little too far for your time budget, Kamakura, in Kanazawa prefecture makes a much more practical day trip from Tokyo and has a similar feel with a lot of beautiful historic sights.

Also, for foreigners you can get a railpass for the shinkansen that makes it very affordable. It's 28,300 yen for 1 week pass. Which is about the price of a single roundtrip. Use it all week long and see the sights. The shinkansen is an awesome way to travel.

If you're doing any Orthodox tourism, be sure to check out Nicolai-do:

When are you going?

I travel there on business from time to time.

We are going the second full week in June. We've been through a lot this year and we need this trip.....

And yeah. I'm going to try to see if I can actually serve at Nicolai-do. If not, we'll just go one Sunday, I'll wear my exorasson and receive communion in the altar.

Last edited:
Top Bottom