What's new

"Wayback when" photo stuff!!

"Make your own Color prints!!"

Anyone remember this hobby darkroom kit??
Vintage 1960's, I believe!
Sample print on box top got lost over the years!

Who else has stuff "that should have been tossed long ago"!!

fr color print kit.jpg

Squirreled away in the attic somewhere is a Chromega B XL enlarger, easel, trays, print washer and bottles that needs to go to the dump.

I am neither that old nor into photos, so about the best I could do is a "kodak". That is what grandma used to call her camera that shot the pic right out the end and then you blew on it and shook it for no apparent reason. I am sure you all know what I speak of. Or maybe the stack of flash bulbs that went "POP" on top of one of the other styles of camera when it took a pic

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
My wife may still have her Nikon 35mm from the early 80's. That was a high end camera when we got married.

You have no idea how much photo stuff is squirreled away here. There are four enlargers, the largest of which will hold 5x7 negatives. I also have many developing tanks. Those I use. Plus most accessories. I’ve lost track of how many film cameras I have. I do have some fresh film and chemistry and I occasionally get out and take pictures. Not a lot lately I’ll admit.

I lost my entire darkroom years ago moving cross-country. Broke my heart. I've tried to be as excited about the digital simulacrum but it just isn't the same. I thought the ability to roll 8 frames per second off with my digital Nikon was the same as shooting film reel - nah, nope, nah-ah. ...I had a light table/expander that just... /sniff

Legion

Staff member
i had a full darkroom kit in storage at my fathers house, including a Durst chromatic enlarger and a Besler condenser unit. When my father died my brother cleaned out the house and get rid of it all.

Not that I really have a place to put a darkroom in my house. I still have a couple of vintage tanks somewhere.

Still have all my darkroom stuff and quite a lot of empty cans/rolls (?) for rolling up your own amount of shots from a 30 meter roll.
Useless now I know, but can't seem to part way with it :001_rolle

I moved my darkroom from Ohio to New Hampshire in the early 80s. Never set it up because I either didn't have the room or didn't have the time. I went fully digital at the turn of the century. My darkroom, a black and white set up, went to the dump close to twenty years ago.

a few items still lurking around.
the graduates are still useful.
not the tray.
the darkroom sink was great for bathing the grandkid infants!!
the kodak darkroom books...certainly i'll need them? right?!

IMG_7245.jpg

Now I have to go find my stuff. I forgot about the graduates. I had some really nice conical beakers that would be great for measuring ingredients in the kitchen.

Thanks for that reference to the darkroom sink. Making a sink and plumbing it was my first exposure to working with Teflon tape, drains, pipe, etc... Can't believe the patience my Dad had as I experimented my way through that Rube Goldberg project.

Amazing on what a giant Kodak and Vivitar were and the impact they had on our once simple lives.

Who remembers the end of a grocery store aisle where they stocked flash cubes and flash strips, along with maybe even film. Back in the day you had to know and buy the right speed film for what you were doing and use up all your day film for the night time Disney parade you wanted to capture.

Forty years ago, I worked in a camera store. The Kodak rep was in one day talking about their recent acquisition of a memory company. I asked him why they would want something like that and he replied that it was for digital cameras. I thought he was crazy at the time. But in the end, Kodak was not flexible enough to change when the digital wave swept through the industry.

Forty years ago, I worked in a camera store. The Kodak rep was in one day talking about their recent acquisition of a memory company. I asked him why they would want something like that and he replied that it was for digital cameras. I thought he was crazy at the time. But in the end, Kodak was not flexible enough to change when the digital wave swept through the industry.

I remember HP, Casio, Apple..all making cameras early on. Maybe Kodak was the "old" and nobody was interested in the name during the frenzy of early home computing.

Kodak made many poor business decisions like trying to being a chemical company and owning health care business' rather than remaining a staple in photography brand names.

Still have a wet/vented darkroom

Last time it was used was when I was sent several boxes of 4x5 b/w negatives to do a website. Made contact prints on paper and scanned in the negatives for future use once I had identified the men in the photos. This would have been around 2010.....

No time anymore for darkroom work.

20180412091814-ff0db691.jpg
20180412091814-ab33b320.jpg
20180412100949-d481a3ce.jpg

Top Bottom