What's new

Way too much soap

In your Last Will & Testament, you could leave instructions that these soaps will be PIFed to people on B&B. Your legacy will live on!
:laugh:
I appreciate the good will, and the spirit of this, and I'm sure that I'm taking the subject way too seriously, but imagine that you are tasked with the work of being the executor of someone's will, and on top of all the serious work involved you are supposed to join a forum that you have nothing to do with and contact people with various user names to make sure that they get their stupid puck of soap. Why would you want to put your heirs through that?

Again I apologize for being a downer and taking a lighthearted discussion way too seriously. To me, this is the depressing aspect of 'Too Much Soap'. :sob:

I appreciate the good will, and the spirit of this, and I'm sure that I'm taking the subject way too seriously, but imagine that you are tasked with the work of being the executor of someone's will, and on top of all the serious work involved you are supposed to join a forum that you have nothing to do with and contact people with various user names to make sure that they get their stupid puck of soap. Why would you want to put your heirs through that?

Again I apologize for being a downer and taking a lighthearted discussion way too seriously. To me, this is the depressing aspect of 'Too Much Soap'. :sob:
You really are being a downer today. :laugh:

How about if the entire collectioin of soap was PIFed to one person?

I'm just hoping to help @Owen Bawn feel a little less anxious about shuffling off this mortal coil, pushing up the daisies, running down the curtain, joining the choir invisible, becoming an ex-shaver, etc.

🦜

Anyone else wondered, while using a lump of soap that never seems to change, just how long your current supply will last?

I bought a bunch of stuff a couple years ago, and made some, then made some more, and at the rate I'm using it up I'll probably never buy or make any more shaving soap -- I don't expect to live more than 40 or so more years at the most and suspect I won't have used up what I have by then!

Peter

I used to worry about it; it seemed that I’d never get thru them. After 2 years or so, and discovering that I really like using the Marco method, I have a bunch that have serious divots.

Mind you, I still don’t need to buy soap for maybe 3-4 YEARS, but I’m making progress over here...

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
You really are being a downer today. :laugh:

How about if the entire collectioin of soap was PIFed to one person?

I'm just hoping to help @Owen Bawn feel a little less anxious about shuffling off this mortal coil, pushing up the daisies, running down the curtain, joining the choir invisible, becoming an ex-shaver, etc.

🦜
I know that my Redeemer liveth.

There was a point when I felt I had too many soaps. I shave daily, so using them up didn't take long. 3 years later and I have a little over two pucks left.

I have over 100 soaps and over 3000 blades 62 de razors and 9 boar brissel brushes.I like them all and constantly switch and use different stuff.....I give alot away to my buddys.....what a great hobby we have!

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

How else are you going to know what you like other than to get some and try it?

One of these, one of those, one of that and a couple extras of the ones you really like end up being a pile of stuff that seems like it will take forever to use up.

At least I'll enjoy using working pile of stuff down a shave at a time.:straight:

I have about 40 soaps and will probably buy some more, obviously they will outlast me.
I load extra heavy to at least try to use them up, usually have enough for 5 passes or more.
With the xtra soap loaded i always get a good shave

I'm probably on the lower end with around 6/7 years of product. It's too much.

I didn't realise when I bought it all that it would last so long! I was mislead by people burning through hard pucks in a couple of months and YouTubers loading for ages.

I find I hardly need any product in comparison to get a good lather (I also have hard water) so the soaps just last and last.

YMMV.

I have 25 pucks of Williams. At 250 shaves/puck, they should last about 17 years.

I have 145 Astra SP blades. I use three a year.

I walk about five times as many miles as I drive. My last tank of gas lasted five months.
I just went 2 months before I had to fill up the tank yesterday. I have been running a fuel system cleaner/conditioner since due to the virus situation I haven't been driving as much and I want to keep the fuel system as clean as possible. I've probably got enough shaving software to last me 5-6 years.

Clayton

Sent from my SM-A705U using Tapatalk

I haven't bought a soap or a cream since early 2018. I have enough for several lifetimes. Really stupid. I have so much soap it makes me anxious. It is a constant reminder of my mortality. I have at least 30-40 vintage Williams, 2 dozen modern Williams, a couple dozen Palmolive sticks, nearly a dozen Arko, about a dozen Valobra/DRH/Wilkinson/etc sticks, 4 or 5 tubs of Proraso, a half dozen tins of Simpsons Luxury unscented cream, tubes and tubes of Ingram, Palmolive, Proraso, and other creams, 4 or 5 TFS and RR soaps, a couple MWF, 450ml (ONE POUND!) each of 2 varieties of JM Fraser's cream and Palmindaya cream, a few slices of Cella, Vitos, & other Italian soaps, and a bunch of one offs from artisans, etc.

These were purchased over the course of a dozen or more years. I'd get a deal on a dozen pucks of 1980s Williams in the factory packaging, then I'd go to Ireland 2 or 3 times a year and I'd bring 2 or 3 Palmolive or Wilkie sticks or Ingram creams back to America each time, then in 2015 I read about Williams being discontinued so I bought 3 dozen from Pharmapacks for less than a buck apiece shipped, then CO Bigelow offered buy 2 get 1 on Proraso... it was never a binge... rather a slow, steady accumulation. Suddenly I realized there was a giant box of soap and creams in my closet in the cellar.

If you're new to this thing, take your time. But you won't. Ten years from now you can copy and paste this post and call it your own.

Already copied and saved for the future.

Anyone else wondered, while using a lump of soap that never seems to change, just how long your current supply will last?

I bought a bunch of stuff a couple years ago, and made some, then made some more, and at the rate I'm using it up I'll probably never buy or make any more shaving soap -- I don't expect to live more than 40 or so more years at the most and suspect I won't have used up what I have by then!

Peter
You can always make trades - software for hardware. :)

I have been paring down my stash a lot. This year I have been 3017ing my soaps, from most likely to go bad to least likely. I have PIF'd several and have another PIF ongoing right now.
My goal is to never have more than five soaps at a time, so I can have some variety but not ever feel overwhelmed. Once I get it down to five, I will buy another soap only when I finish one of the others.

I suspect I will be in that mode by early next year. I'm excited to finally be able to make a purchase!

Lol, I've been buying and fixing stereo equipment instead of shaving stuff. Fixed my first quality amp the other month after it fried in 1993 and I then managed to trip on it sitting partially dis-assembled on the bedroom floor and snapped the circuit board. Quite the project, but it now works like new.

So along with the soap I have two KA-80 Kenwood amps, a KA-900 with matching tuner, and now a KA-127 big amp, three sets of speakers, and a small house.....

I have 25 pucks of Williams. At 250 shaves/puck, they should last about 17 years.

I have 145 Astra SP blades. I use three a year.

I walk about five times as many miles as I drive. My last tank of gas lasted five months.

Wow, you only use three Astra SP blades in a year? I can't get near that many shaves from the Astra greens.

I have been paring down my stash a lot. This year I have been 3017ing my soaps, from most likely to go bad to least likely. I have PIF'd several and have another PIF ongoing right now.
My goal is to never have more than five soaps at a time, so I can have some variety but not ever feel overwhelmed. Once I get it down to five, I will buy another soap only when I finish one of the others.

I suspect I will be in that mode by early next year. I'm excited to finally be able to make a purchase!

I have been at this for years and used hundreds of soaps. I also have a five soap limit...now. Discipline equals freedom.

The above quote from kingfisher is exactly what makes shaving fun again. Hoarding just sucks.

+1. It took over 8 years to finish every bit of cream and soap in the house. Must be determined to not buy, no matter what you read here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom