What's new

Waxing?

How costly is it? And who does it? A dermatologist?

It varies in cost. Most of those centers are hurting now. Any of these centers that do vein control, botox, etc do laser hair removal. An entire back would probably run 2-3 thousand. Did I mention it hurts like hell??? But if you do mind being electrocuted you would probably be okay :w00t: Also the darker the hair the better the results.

I don't have much of a tolerance for pain, but it really doesn't hurt *that* bad and it does help to talk to distract your mind while being treated. it's about like getting snapped with a rubber band. Plus if you can't tolerate it, the treatment area can be numbed with topical meds.

It varies in cost. Most of those centers are hurting now. Any of these centers that do vein control, botox, etc do laser hair removal. An entire back would probably run 2-3 thousand. Did I mention it hurts like hell??? But if you do mind being electrocuted you would probably be okay :w00t: Also the darker the hair the better the results.

Thanks, Wendy. That's an interesting choice to have to make. Assuming I can get a back wax for around $50 (including tip), and would get a wax every six weeks, I could get almost seven years of waxes for $3000. And from the sound of it, laser might actually be more painful. I guess the benefits with laser are, you only have to go in three or so times to get the desired effect, and it would eventually pay for itself, assuming the $3000 job ends up being permanent. For the time being, though, I think I'd be more likely to try waxing first. :wink:

I finally gave in a couple of years ago and started waxing my back in the summertime and when I would go to Florida to see the folks. Seems as I've gotten older, hair has decided to take root on my back. I find the first wax of the season kinda sucks but after that, it's pretty easy. I go to an aesthetician and she's great. She and I just talk while she rips the hair off my back. I won't let her touch my neck though. That freakin' kills.

I don't have much of a tolerance for pain, but it really doesn't hurt *that* bad and it does help to talk to distract your mind while being treated. it's about like getting snapped with a rubber band. Plus if you can't tolerate it, the treatment area can be numbed with topical meds.

A rubber band?? What kind of rubber bands have you been snapped with :ohmy:
A tattoo on my ankle bone was just fine but that laser, holy cow. I actually have an enormous pain tolerance and thought it sucked. I talked one of my girlfriends out of getting it because I know she would pay and never go back for treatment after she felt it. I guess it varies by body part also. I must say I think the back would be less pain. One good thing it does not hurt after the treatment at all it is just while they are zapping you.

I would not worry about it. My girlfriend thinks it sexy. :biggrin:

Your back would be purple after they pulled all that hair off. Anyways you have something a lot of men do not, keep it. My 3 yr old loves hairy bodies :001_tt1: She always tells her dad and I she wants hairy legs, butt, face and belly. I hope that changes as she gets older. :ohmy:

A rubber band?? What kind of rubber bands have you been snapped with :ohmy:
A tattoo on my ankle bone was just fine but that laser, holy cow. I actually have an enormous pain tolerance and thought it sucked. I talked one of my girlfriends out of getting it because I know she would pay and never go back for treatment after she felt it. I guess it varies by body part also. I must say I think the back would be less pain. One good thing it does not hurt after the treatment at all it is just while they are zapping you.

The pain factor also depends on what exact type of laser they use and what power settings on that laser, both of which are determined by your hair color and skin tone.

Easy fix, let the Mrs. do it. Mine offered about a year ago so I knew it was time. She does it while we are in the shower every month or so and it doesn't bother her at all.

I don't want to start a new thread so adding to this one.

For those who do back waxing,

1)How often do you do this?

2)Is it true that it comes in finer and finer over time?

3)How much do you pay? I found someone who does this from home for $35 which seems very reasonable.

I don't want to start a new thread so adding to this one.

For those who do back waxing,

1)How often do you do this?

2)Is it true that it comes in finer and finer over time?

3)How much do you pay? I found someone who does this from home for $35 which seems very reasonable.

Word of caution, my hair on my head and body grows at a rate that I would consider faster than normal.

1 - 6-8 weeks. Small hairs start appearing after a few days. Hairs are over 1.5-2" when I go for the next appt.

2- no. I think this is some rumor. All its doing is pulling the hair at the root.

3 - Ive paid on the low end $40 and the high end $90 (Alexandria, VA) This is for back from base of the neck down to 1" below the waistline of my pants. best waxing Ive had was $55 plus tip on St Simons Island Georgia. It was done by some lady with braces (Sue?) in the salon next to the haris teeter supermarket/movie theater. she did prep with creams/lotions to open the pores, good wax and also a nice finishing witch hazel and some other substance to clean, close the pores and then to moisturize. this one hurt the least. The $90 in alexandria was a hack job that hurt like hell. The lady went straight to wax and then finished up by using some cheap talc on my back. I broke out all over my back due to the poor prep/finishing work by "ludmilla" whereas only 3 bumps appeared from when I had it done in St Simons Ga.

On average I would set aside 65 dollars. It doesnt hurt aside from the side where the front ribs turn into the back ribs (if that makes any sense) and also the top of the back/shoulders close to the spine. $35 is a steal as long as she preps and finishes the skin to avoid irritation and ingrown hairs.

Last edited:
(I know there is already a thread about waxing salon recommendations, but my question is slightly different and I haven't been able to find the answer to this question anywhere else).

I need a waxing salon that uses the wax that is spread on, and then sort of "picked off", without using strips of cloth. (In Australia it's a purple wax.) Can anyone help? I have ridiculously sensitive skin, and the strip wax wreaks havoc.

Cheers,

thats the hard wax used for the "bathing suit" area on women. tell the waxer to use that stuff instead of the soft wax used with the cloth strips

Man up and embrace all your hair.... back and otherwise. :thumbup1:

Just say no to Waxing or any of that other stuff. Some guys have a little more Caveman in them.

Top Bottom