What's new

Waxed Leather Boots

Isaac

B&B Tease-in-Residence
Tell me what you know about waxed leather boot care?

I have wanted a pair of waxed leather boots for some time, considering I live in the wet PNW. Not really sure what the maintenance / wear is like with this type of boot.

I had been trying to buy a pair of Natural Chromexcel boots, but noted that they had a Natural Waxed leather option.

My wife has a pair of oiled/waxed leather walking boots which I always end up cleaning and proofing. I use a product made specifically to preserve the finish of such footwear called Ecco Wax Oil and they still have a look very similar to when they were new. I apply it as I do with my own smooth leather walking boots, but omit the final polishing stage.
On one occasion I used the same Graingers G-Wax on her boots as I do on my own and, having realised my mistake half way through the process, I just carried on but again left out the final buffing up part. It didn't make any differenc I could see or feel to the leather and I will probably continue using this on my wife's boots after the Ecco product has run out.

A sound Horween Chromexcel leather boot is a good thing. Allen Edwards made a good pair a few years back. But heck, even further back, when men in the PNW were about logging and not much else, believe it or not, Cordovan was considered workman's gear. Good luck finding an oil/wax you like. I've even heard neatsfoot oil in extremely small quantities is good. Seriously though? Ask the folk at Horween. It's their formula, their treatment, and they'd know how leather ages with it!

Isaac

B&B Tease-in-Residence
i was thinking more of a waxed flesh rather than chromexcel. More akin to this type.

2f0deb2a8132a632258ed219ae6862cc.jpg

Top Bottom