What's new

Wax / glue spots on blades - anti-chatter?

I've grumped in the past about blades with globs of wax or glue on them, but lately I've been wondering: Could that stuff be there to stabilize the blade, similar to the goop people smear on the back of brake discs in cars to keep them from squealing?

On the other hand, some of the posts in this thread make a convincing case that the wax is for packing and transport, so maybe I'm full of it.

Today I put a new GSB into my GC.84, wax side up, and it seemed to me that wax sealed the blade to the cap. One way or another, it was a very smooth shave.

Happy shaving,
Tim

It annoys me some, but I never found it mattered. I always put the wax side down because it's easier to remove the blade from the base than the cap.

Congrats on a great shave!

I have not found that the wax makes much difference. Others don’t appreciate it at all.

I'm one guy that hates the wax. In fact I feel that Gillette Silver Blue are the best performing blades you can get, but, I will never buy them again because they put so much wax on them it makes a mess of my razor.

The wax is for keeping the blades safe from damage during transport but I never found it useful for anti chatter purposes. It never has been an issue for me nor has chatter.

Congrats on a great shave!

Two days with the GSB in the GC.84, and it's such a great shave I'm almost sorry I found it - I've bought hundred-packs of several other good blades, but none as good as this.

Ah, well. Blades don't take up much space...

IMO, its strictly for transport and making sure that the wrapper staying on the blade. I dont see it being anti-chatter because once you tighten up the head, the blade isnt going to chatter in a way that glue dots would help with.

I'm one guy that hates the wax. In fact I feel that Gillette Silver Blue are the best performing blades you can get, but, I will never buy them again because they put so much wax on them it makes a mess of my razor.
I have similar sentiments.
I find that Astra SPs are comparable to GSB in performance and longevity, but have half the wax and half the price.
The worst part of the GSB wax spots is that they go right over the edges.

I find that Astra SPs are comparable to GSB in performance and longevity, but have half the wax and half the price.

It's terrible. I have a newly plated Gillette NEW and it almost ruined the plating.

Well the older Astra from 2017 and earlier had 4 wax dots going over the edge too. I always place them facing up so it won't get in the way when pulling down on the handle.

It's terrible. I have a newly plated Gillette NEW and it almost ruined the plating.
This intriges me. How did it damage the plating? Did it flake off when you removed the blade due to adhesion? Did you end up scratching the finish in prying up the blade or scraping the wax off?

This intriges me. How did it damage the plating? Did it flake off when you removed the blade due to adhesion? Did you end up scratching the finish in prying up the blade or scraping the wax off?

It was very difficult to remove the wax. It left like a stain on it.

I deal with the wax on my GSBs, Nacets, Polsilver SIs, and Astra SPs by scraping the wax off with my fingernail and a tissue before loading the blade for its first use. It is easier for me to clean the wax off the blade once than off the razor multiple times. The minimal time spent is about the same for each of these blades.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
A quick way to remove the wax is, with the razor loosened up, hold it under hot running water. Then they tend to not stick to the cap or base as much.

+1000!!! Hello. I do not pay any attention to the droplets of wax on the blades. They do not interfere with a comfortable shave. Sincerely.

Not a sissy with sharp edges but when every blade from PPI is like this, it irks the hell out of me about the concentration needed just to remove the blade from wrapper.
IMG_20181225_231527_edit.jpg

IMG_20181225_231731.jpg

Top Bottom