What's new

WATT MAGIC RAZOR

ERS4

My exploding razor knows secrets
I found an interesting razor in my mother-in-law's medicine cabinet. After exploring the background, I found that it was more special than I thought, so I decided to organize it into a separate post.
"WATT MAGIC RAZOR" is a travel cartridge razor that uses regular dual blade cartridges (Schick ultra/super II, Gillette track/G II, Personna Twin II, feather F-II…).
At first glance, the folding method is easy to think of the famous Schick folding injector; but the special thing is that the WATT can automatically fold the head into the handle through the rotating mechanism, so the storage volume is smaller. It is easy to think of lipstick or shotgun shell.
Folding demonstration vedio→ https://cdn-media-tv.pixfs.net/ers99sre/16503665090685-g.mp4

未命名-1.jpg

This razor was designed by Taiwanese "Lung-Wu Yen" in the 1990s and has patents in many countries; it won the silver medal at the 1992 Nuremberg Invention Exhibition in Germany.
US pantent 5009004A──US5009004A - Foldable razor assembly - Google Patents - https://patents.google.com/patent/US5009004A
The razor was originally sold under the name "WATT MAGIC RAZOR", but it will also be renamed as Avon, Gillette, Sorone... and many other brands for marketing purposes. It is a pity that the inventor's company has been dissolved many years ago, so what is currently on the market is mainly the previous inventory, and there is not much left.
While I mostly shave with the DE, I keep a few dual blade cartridges as a travel spare, and it's nice to have this unique collection. (I actually got three different colors) :em2300:

Last edited:

ERS4

That is a cool device.....I now want one......
Be sure to find one.
Using a fine stainless steel razor makes me feel like a well-loved gentleman.
Getting the Watt Magic Razor reminded me of the pure joy of buying novelty toys from the store as a kid, and I'm now sitting in front of my computer spinning it 100 times. :D

ERS4

Avon sold one like that in the 70's.
Indeed, they are the same item after renamed.

I have verified from the photos that some of the same vintage razor boxes with the name "Avon" are marked with "MADE IN TAIWAN".
IMG_20220421_005916.jpg

It is a commercial association between the same Taiwanese inventor and many brands, and some people even found a renamed version of "Gillette" on B&B.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
I remember seeing these advertised years ago and not thinking much of them at the time even though I was using cartridge razors then. Now looking back I should have bought heaps of them and stored them for a later date. Hindsight is a wonderful thing.

I had two of the Avon ones. Couldn't even sell them. I ended up trashing them. I had the boxes and instructions. I used one once to try it. It was a standard cart. It was a cool idea, it just never took off.

ERS4

I had two of the Avon ones. Couldn't even sell them. I ended up trashing them. I had the boxes and instructions. I used one once to try it. It was a standard cart. It was a cool idea, it just never took off.
Difficult to sell may be the niche market that has not yet found the right target audience.
Especially since it's a mass product from the 90s, many people may subconsciously skip this funny razor when browsing shopping platforms such as ebay.

I found that there are still some websites that sell under the name of "Survival Gear", and have achieved good sales results. ;)

Top Bottom