What's new

Waterman pens

I also have a green Laureat and love it. Probably my favorite pen at the moment. Its smooth and very easy to maintain. I dont have a ton to compare it to, just a Pilot Metropolitan and a Hero 60, and I rotate through the three. Waterman doesnt get a lot of love on B&B but they make great pens IMO.

Sounds like we are on the same path!

I thought I would share my collection of Watermans. Several pens are in need of restoration. The yellow pen is a Charleston, it is the rarest color for Charleston. It was only in production for a month.

Attachments

• $IMG_0220.jpg
    $IMG_0220.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 110
Last edited:
I recently received a Waterman Expert Deluxe in Blue Obsession. Nice looking pen but shipped it back to Waterman because there is a problem with the nib. Ink doesn't flow well and the nib isn't symmetrical. I hope to have the nib replaced under warranty. With a pen that expensive I expect it to not have problems out of the box.

I have three Waterman's: a Carene, a Laureat, and a Phileas. All write extremely well. I love the Carene I bought in the mid to late 90's. It's cobalt and gold. The only drawback is that with some inks it gets nib creep around the edges. Otherwise, with the right ink, it's stellar. Same with the Laureat and Phileas. The Phileas I have has a great looking nib with a cheap looking barrel and cap. But the others nails it. It's a great performer at a modest price. The Laureat as a surprising heft for such a slender pen. Again, it's a terrific writer.

My first high-quality, modern fountain pen was a Waterman Carene, and it's still up near the top of my list. I also have an Expert which is an excellent pen. And then, there's the vintage Waterman's which are a whole 'nother story! :001_tt1:

Waterman Hemisphere in green for the last 15 years. Also have had Parker Duofold and Pelikan in the past and I prefer the Waterman over the others. Your mileage may vary.........

radiowave79

I just remembered (after seeing another thread on this forum) that I have a pair of Waterman pens that I got as a gift some years ago.

One is a rolling writer and the other is a fountain pen. It appears that the pen has dried out, and I believe the cartridges have too...but I'm going to a pen store near my office and will look into bringing these beauties back to life!

I'm pretty sure, after Googling, that it's the Phileas set. Pix to come.

Last edited:
I thought I would share my collection of Watermans. Several pens are in need of restoration. The yellow pen is a Charleston, it is the rarest color for Charleston. It was only in production for a month.

What model is the 4th from the bottom on the left. The dark green with marbling. I have this pen and can't ID it. THANKS!

Ronnie

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
What model is the 4th from the bottom on the left. The dark green with marbling. I have this pen and can't ID it. THANKS!

Ronnie
Looks like a Kultur which was the less expensive version of the Philéas.

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
Nope, its a Phileas. I did some digging and found out what it is.
The Phileas and Kultur look the same and are hard to tell apart without having it in your hand. The differences are primarily in the hardware (which is not visable in the picture), the nib (which in the picture appears to be steel and by the lack of the additional rear weight that makes the Phileas so balanced.

My Phileas pair is back in action. I am pleased.

My brother is a fountain pen collector, and I may be headed down the rabbit hole...

Lately I have been pondering the purchase of a Waterman FP. It seems they don't get a lot of love around here, and their online presence seems sparse to me. I think they look really elegant. Can anyone share their experiences with those pens?

My only experience with a Waterman is vintage. Mine is an ebonite Waterman 12 eyedropper with a gold nib, right around a century old (and it looks brand new). Quite frankly, it is the best performing pen I own. It has a quirk though: the feedback sounds scratchy and feels scratchy, but there are no scratches on the paper and no burrs on the nib. It does not affect the performance in any way. If you want a reputable and fair vintage dealer, I can suggest a few.

Top Bottom