What's new

Waterman pens

Lately I have been pondering the purchase of a Waterman FP. It seems they don't get a lot of love around here, and their online presence seems sparse to me. I think they look really elegant. Can anyone share their experiences with those pens?

I mentioned my Waterman Laureat in your other thread. It is an 80's model that works well for my style. Medium nib, green marble. I would recommend it.

I have one Waterman, a Hemisphere Deluxe Silky that my wife bought me a couple of Christmases ago. A slender pen, with a wonderfully smooth medium nib. I'd love a Carène, but it's out of my league, cost-wise. Keeping my eye out for a gently used one.

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
I have a few Waterman pens dating from models from the 1920s up until models from the 1990s. Some I love, some I am far less sure of. But all have been reliable and interesting. Surprisingly since I generally tend to prefer fatter sections, many of the slim Watermans are among my favorites. In particular I find my Waterman Gentleman model pens get out to play far more often than some of the others.

strop

Now half as wise
Look for a Phileas. No longer in production but still available on the auction sites. Nice size and I've never seen anyone say they dislike it. Mine is in my pocket today. I also have a Charleston, but it doesn't get as much use. The Carene looks very nice, but to me, at that price, I am looking more at piston fillers.

I had a Hemishere. Solid, dependable construction and nib, my preferred smaller, lighter profile. I just don't like Medium nibs, so I gave it to my mom. If I could have found a F or EF, I'd have likely kept it, but I didn't look real hard for one either.

I have an Expert II that is very nice I don't use it as much as I should.
Waterman has some very nice designs.

Their ink is very nice too. It's definitely worth checking out.

I also have a green Laureat and love it. Probably my favorite pen at the moment. Its smooth and very easy to maintain. I dont have a ton to compare it to, just a Pilot Metropolitan and a Hero 60, and I rotate through the three. Waterman doesnt get a lot of love on B&B but they make great pens IMO.

I have a 8-10. Few phileas, carenes. Charleston etc.
i have med and fine nibs, i like the fine. They write smooth, but to replace a nib you replace the section which is pricey. You can get a phileas on e bay from $40 up.
They are all nice pens.

Hirsute

Used to have fun with Commander Yellow Pantyhose
Look for a Phileas. No longer in production but still available on the auction sites. Nice size and I've never seen anyone say they dislike it. Mine is in my pocket today. I also have a Charleston, but it doesn't get as much use. The Carene looks very nice, but to me, at that price, I am looking more at piston fillers.

Agreed. My Phileas is the pen I carry most often. That pen was also sold as the "Kultur", so if you're searching ebay check those out as well. Also, a quick search shows some of these pens being sold on amazon pretty cheaply.

I bought the latest Expert (3) a few days ago and it's a great writer with classic looks. For the price, IMO, it's a bargain. I've written with just about all of the current Waterman FPs and they're all great. The Hemisphere, their budget pen, is a bit thin in body but it too is a great writer. It's also the pen that Stephen King used to write "Dreamcatcher" with.

proxy.php

I have a Le Man 100, vintage in the 1980s some time. It is my favorite FP. No trouble with it whatsoever. Feels great in hand and writes very well. I truly love the look of it. I do not know why Waterman does not get more love.

Glad to see the Phileas getting some love. I got mine last week and tried it for the first time tonight. It looks heavier than it is, which can be a good thing. It was a little slow to start, but once it got going the ink flowed really nicely. I'm going to enjoy this pen.

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
I like my Waterman fountain pens that range from the entry level to their (at the time) flagship models. Over the years though I have given quite a few of them away because it is a brand where I can be assured the pen will continue to function flawlessly for the new owner.

People that have Waterman pens love them. They rarely act up so people don't post negatively about it. They just aren't spot lighted. I wouldn't mind one but I have my eye on too many other at the moment.

I love my BCHR Waerman 54 from the beginning of the last century so they have some heritage going for them as well.

I'm both a collector and user of Waterman fountain pens. Personally I like how smoothly they write. I have both modern and vintage Waterman's from the 40's.

My two favorite Waterman's are my Expert II and Charleston. My Skywriters are nice writers too.

Personally you can not go wrong having a Waterman.

I have a Le Man 100, vintage in the 1980s some time. It is my favorite FP. No trouble with it whatsoever. Feels great in hand and writes very well. I truly love the look of it. I do not know why Waterman does not get more love.

I have one also with an Extra Fine nib and man does it ever write nice and smooth. Great pen. Usually able to find one on Ebay.

I'm both a collector and user of Waterman fountain pens. Personally I like how smoothly they write. I have both modern and vintage Waterman's from the 40's.

My two favorite Waterman's are my Expert II and Charleston. My Skywriters are nice writers too.

Personally you can not go wrong having a Waterman.

Wish I'd never sold my Charleston *sigh*

I bought the latest Expert (3) a few days ago and it's a great writer with classic looks. For the price, IMO, it's a bargain. I've written with just about all of the current Waterman FPs and they're all great. The Hemisphere, their budget pen, is a bit thin in body but it too is a great writer. It's also the pen that Stephen King used to write "Dreamcatcher" with.

proxy.php

That's a beauty. Might have to snag one...thanks!

Top Bottom