What's new

Waterman Hemisphere

Any opinions on this pen? I just ordered the brushed stainless with chrome trim to wear in uniform. I guess it's a little late to ask for opinions now that It's on the way, but at least advise me if the nib will need smoothing. I'm fairly new to fountain pens, with the only pens I have now being cheap kit pens I turned myself. I'm hoping this is a significant writing upgrade and my first foray into a "real" pen.

Waterman nibs have always performed well for me. If anything, they tend to be a little too smooth for my liking. I doubt you'll need to do anything more than ink it up and start writing. Have fun with it! 🙂

I had a M nibbed one, and eventually passed it along. it's a perfectly fine pen, just not my style or preference once I figured out what I did and didn't like about it. and that's to do with me, not the pen.

if it needs any smoothing at all, I'd guess scribbling on grocery store paper bag quality paper will do the trick, and not need more. I can't remember if mine needed it, but I doubt it.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Congrats! I think you'll be pleased, let us know after you use it.
I've always had good luck with all Waterman products I've owned.
@5whiskey which nib did you order?

Congrats! I think you'll be pleased, let us know after you use it.
I've always had good luck with all Waterman products I've owned.
@5whiskey which nib did you order?

I got the fine nib. I use fountain pens for every day writing at work so I want it to approximate a ball point in appearance.

I am happy with this pen for sure. It is nimble and lightweight, but it also doesn't "feel" bargain basement cheap. It writes smooth, though I wouldn't say it greatly outclasses the kit pens I've made in writing. If I need to jot something against a wall it struggles. I understand fountain pens are not a tool intended for writing on a vertical surface, but I have one that will long enough for a signature or for quick notes. Also the waterman does need a stroke or two to start if it's sat idle a couple of days.

It does write very well generally, though. Fit and finish is excellent for the price point. It goes with the other uniform appurtenances i must wear very well. Again, I am pleased and think this would be a great starter pen for someone looking for a solid inexpensive metal body pen.

Waterman inks are wonderful. Their Florida Blue is a beautiful colour.
I've only owned one Waterman pen and I like it very much.

SWMBO bought me a mk1 hemisphere back in the early 2000's I ran it with regular Parker quink blue and it gave a good 5 years service with out fault on a medium nib, petrol blue in colour and very nice. It took a back seat when I changed jobs to a no fp work place.

SWMBO bought me a mk1 hemisphere back in the early 2000's I ran it with regular Parker quink blue and it gave a good 5 years service with out fault on a medium nib, petrol blue in colour and very nice. It took a back seat when I changed jobs to a no fp work place.
What is a no Fountain Pen workplace?

Tom

What is a no Fountain Pen workplace?

Tom
Combat arms in the military, fire jumpers, astronauts, anyone who works out in extreme cold, anyone who works in an environment with significantly abnormal barometric pressure... I'm sure this list could be expanded a good bit.

That being said, working in the field some (even a lot) doesn't bar one from successfully using a fountain pen. I do*
*To be completely fair I've had to order several replacement nibs because of drops or damage incurred while working.

Combat arms in the military, fire jumpers, astronauts, anyone who works out in extreme cold, anyone who works in an environment with significantly abnormal barometric pressure... I'm sure this list could be expanded a good bit.

That being said, working in the field some (even a lot) doesn't bar one from successfully using a fountain pen. I do*
*To be completely fair I've had to order several replacement nibs because of drops or damage incurred while working.
Thank you!!!

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.

Don’t forget the danger of desk diving. I watched my lamy 2000 roll off the kitchen counter and plant right on the nib. It’s ugly. I tried to straighten it but well you know.
Good luck and congrats on the new pen. Look forward to your review I bet it’s going to be great.

So I wanted to come back to this and offer the Waterman an honest review after some use. I've used the pen about 3 solid months now, and I can honestly say it has "worn in" well. The nib feels much smoother now that the pen has filled up more than a few pages of paper. It seems to start writing much better these days, and the first stroke offers nearly instant ink feed. Ink flow is appropriate, and I have no bleed-through even when writing a little slower on thinner paper. The only bleed I've had is marking out an error numerous times. If I'm forced to write on a wall for a signature I can usually make it work (still a weaker point though).

It is a pretty lightweight pen. It's significantly lighter than my brass bodied kit pens. I maintain that it still does not feel cheap, as light as it is. It's been pocket carried in pants, in a pen slot in my shirt, in a hoodie pocket... you name it. It has yet to leak any ink into the cap, even stored nib down. All the basic things we expect from fountain pens. And it does it wonderfully for the price I paid in November (I got it for about $50, they're over $70 now on Amazon). For what I paid, I can find nothing bad to say about it.

Interestingly enough, I attended a professional training the last 2 weeks (LEO firearms instructor), and I ran across another person in the wild that uses fountain pens (rare, especially in my profession, but they are out there). I noticed his on day one, but thought I was mistaken at first. He commented on my pen a couple days later. We swapped and compared. He had a Lamy (looked like a safari) that wrote pretty well, along with a vintage Parker. I tried the Lamy. It wrote well, but i liked the feel, flow, and look of my pen better. His parker was on point though, and I would rate it a step up from the Waterman Hemisphere. He had great things to say about my pen, so it kind of cemented that this pen is good to go. I recommend (though I'm still a new guy).

Top Bottom