What's new

Water temperature

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
It's not natural to have extreme hot water to prepare your face for washing & lathering

Yeah, I was being funny as usual, obviously I don't have my water temperature boiling, I wouldn't be able to stick my hands in the water then lol. In some ways, I share common sillyness as Robbin Williams lol. No, I just get my water nice and warm, more then likely the water temp is around 140 degrees F, but I haven't actually tested it with my temp gun.

Anyways, yep, there are so many ways to do it, we just gotta all find our own way, and use what works best for us. But, I do like the way that you do it Ron! Very nice.

I lived without running water... and certainly no hot water for a couple years in my youth... I like warm showers... warm shaves... I did try that "this will change your life" cold shave YouTube video that was released recently. I noticed it was a topic here in hmmm let me check..... 2007. ;)

There is nothing new under the sun.
There have been countless cold vs hot water shaving threads over the years and the same things get repeated over and over and over.

I've only been a member of B&B since February, so a lot of discussions that have been repeated over, and over, are new to me. And I'm sure that's true of other new members as well.
I've been wet shaving for a very long time, so I'm fairly well set in my likes and dislikes. But reading the input of other members, and picking up a few tips, as well as sharing some is great fun.
I've been impressed with the willingness of the many long time members who take time to share their view points, experiences, etc..
This is a great community, and I'm happy to be part of it! :thumbsup:

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I've only been a member of B&B since February, so a lot of discussions that have been repeated over, and over, are new to me. And I'm sure that's true of other new members as well.
I've been wet shaving for a very long time, so I'm fairly well set in my likes and dislikes. But reading the input of other members, and picking up a few tips, as well as sharing some is great fun.
I've been impressed with the willingness of the many long time members who take time to share their view points, experiences, etc..
This is a great community, and I'm happy to be part of it! :thumbsup:
I'm new here too.... I probably didn't communicate clearly. My point was... someone on YouTube says... this is new... it will change your life... but it isn't new.. and it may or may not change our lives.

I do realize it is probably a bit tedious to for the long time regs here to watch us struggle with stuff they've figured out years ago, but I have to say... there have been several men and women who have shortened my learning curve by months, if not years.

So, like you... B&B has been beneficial for me.... and very fun... engaging.

After a hot shower, I use warm water to shave and rinse with cold water between passes... Years ago, I used to take hot baths and the steam in the bathroom softened my (3/4 day) whiskers SO MUCH that it made for the nicest shaves with a Gillette Sensor and a can of Aveeno shave cream. My skin never felt so good after a shave... If you have access to a bathtub or sauna I recommend having a shave after using them .

Dave himself

Wee Words of Wisdom
I saw a thread were this was discussed before not long after I joined B&B. I'd never heard of cold water shaving but as I suffered from a bit of irritation after my shave and I could only shave every 2-3 days I decided to give it a go. Now I have either a warm shower or warm face wash after that I only use the water which comes out of the cold tap/faucet. Now I shave everyday irritation free. I don't know why it works for me it just doe's. Just one more reason I'm so glad I discovered B&B.

It's not natural to have extreme hot water to prepare your face for washing & lathering from my limited research (doctors recommendations not to use hot water)and when I first started traditional wet shaving I thought a hot towel to the face was nice way to start the shave. Then I started cold water rinsing after each pass when I read a lot of folks use cold water method after each pass and found it much nicer & enjoyable for my skin with less irritation. I get stellar shaves by this routine and will not change from the old ways of using hot water to prep.
I do like warm lather applied to my face and that is so easy for me to do with my ceramic bowl and that part will not change.
After final pickup pass I like to rinse with warm water to clean most shave soap residual of my face(Shave soap is more alkaline than your skin on the PH scale) and then finish with a cold water rinse to calm the skin, towel pat dry face and then finally finish with some witch hazel and aftershave with a dollop off balm. Seems to work for me and that won't change until there's change warranted. That has been my routine for years as a daily shaver, my skin looks very well and healthy.
Hey man, I've been trying to get a good shave lately. I want to try out your method. Do you rinse your face in the shower with warm water before you shave? Or do you just start using cold water? I see you said you use a bowl, so that must mean you wet your face with lukewarm water first?

1. Splash face with warm water.
  2. Apply a good (not oily) bath soap to your face and wash very well. Use your fingertips to work the soap right to the base of your whiskers. You are trying to remove all traces of oil from your whiskers and the skin around your whiskers.
  3. Rinse very well with warm water to remove all traces of the bath soap and its residue. You want your face to be truly squeaky clean.
  4. Keep your face wet by splashing with cool water while preparing your lather (cool or warm).
  5. Apply the lather to your wet face.
  6. Enjoy your shave.
  7. If doing multiple passes, wet your face with warm or cool water before re-lathering each time.

With the exception of cool water from step 4 &/or 7, this is my method exactly.

I suppose we are all different and different things work for different people, I am in the hot water then rinse with cold water brigade.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
B&B is rife with folks who CAN'T do anything in moderation.
If someone says they like cold water shaves, there'll be threads and theads about putting ice in the sink.
If someone says they like hot water shaves, you can bet there'll be people posting about the electric kettle they use.
I use hot water for my shaves. By that I mean the same temperature that I would use in a bath or shower, probably around 100 - 105F.
I rinse with cold water. By that I mean the same temperature that comes from the cold faucet, probably around 55 - 65F.
There's no need to go to extremes.
There are always going to be some, that if told to take 2 aspirin, believe that 6 would be even better.

Top Bottom