What's new

Water Pipe

I think about to buy a water pipe. What do u think ? Is it the same bad as smoking cigarettes ? I gave up smoking 5 years before, and when I worked in Palestine tried the water pipe. They said that the water and the long tube cleans the fume ?
Whats ur opinion?

I use my waterpipe (sheesha, nargile) at least once a week and love it. Very relaxing and tasty. I'm pretty sure it's as bad for you as any type of tobacco consumption though.

I use my waterpipe (sheesha, nargile) at least once a week and love it. Very relaxing and tasty. I'm pretty sure it's as bad for you as any type of tobacco consumption though.

I've read that the shisha tobacco biggest parts are fruits, honey, etc...
And there's no paper burn like on the cigarette...
Maybe I should buy it, I need it for relax, and I want to use it only 1-2 times a week.

A friend of mine brought one back from Palestine. Yes, it's very relaxing and no, it's not a healthier alternative in my mind. Carcinogenic compounds are still carcinogenic compounds :rolleyes: .

B

BrightFutur

Even though there is no burning paper. Tobacco smoke is never going to healthy.

And IIRC there was a study done which shows that because the water cools the smoke, people tend to inhale longer and more deeply. Which in my mind cancels out any benefit.

Even though there is no burning paper. Tobacco smoke is never going to healthy.

And IIRC there was a study done which shows that because the water cools the smoke, people tend to inhale longer and more deeply. Which in my mind cancels out any benefit.

And what about a hepa filter? Is it usefull?

Commander Quan

Commander Yellow Pantyhose
I'm not a doctor but in my mind since it doesn't have all the added chemicals that cigs do with he addition of honey, or glycerin it can't be worse. And unless you do it every day the smoke inhaled would be less than cigs too. HOWEVER if you are worried about your health there is no safe alternative to not smoking. All that being said I love my hookah.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Health benefits? I'd be more worried about getting a custom title of The Happy Hookah.

I have a hookah and love it. It isn't exactly healthy, but it is almost certainly better than cigarettes. There haven't been any comprehensive studies to measure what filtering effect, if any, the water gives. However, most hookah smokers consume far less tobacco than cigarette smokers (10-15 grams per bowl, I do a bowl a month or so). So less tobacco overall certainly makes for a healthier way of smoking. But smoking is never going to be good for you. Just be aware of that.

If you want to maximize the filtering effect of the water get or make a diffuser to put at the bottom of your stem. It'll also make the pipe quieter.

I've never known anyone that had a hookah used for tobacco smoke. However, I know that I don't inhale pipe smoke (at least not intentionally), and I wouldn't inhale the smoke from that either. So, I would think that it is at least a little healthier than cigarettes.

It took me a few posts to realize this thread was about tobacco. I agree with Paul, I have never met anyone who owns a bong, hookah, or any glass pipe that had tobacco in mind.

Commander Quan

Bongs and glass pipes are not meant for tobacco use. Hookahs on the other hand are used all over the world but mostly in the Middle East and India to be used with Shisha, which is tobacco with glycerin to keep it moist, and flavored in various ways. Unlike when smoking pot where is is lit with a flame, the shisha is heated with charcoal but not set on fire like a traditional pipe. The lower temperature and the smoke being filtered through water provides a very cool smoke that is not harsh at all.

As far a not inhaling it really doesn't work the say way as a pipe. I tried a hookah for the first time after smoking cigars for 7 years and it's not the same. On the first hit I didn't even think it was working until I opened my mouth and smoke came pouring out of my mouth and nose. :eek: Unless you try it its' hard to explain, but it really is a different way to smoke.

Our biology teacher in high school used a water pipe to try to deter us from smoking. She pulled the smoke from a cigarette through the water then let us observe the water that resulted.

I was impressed (grossed out).

- Chris

Commander Quan

Our biology teacher in high school used a water pipe to try to deter us from smoking. She pulled the smoke from a cigarette through the water then let us observe the water that resulted.

I was impressed (grossed out).

- Chris

...and nobody's parents sued the teacher and the school district because their kid had to be in the vicinity of the second hand smoke? That stuff is dangerous. :rolleyes:

It's a pretty clever teacher that can get the school district to pay for a hookah that you use one day a year for 5 periods, and then take it home to "safely store" it and do who knows what with.

...and nobody's parents sued the teacher and the school district because their kid had to be in the vicinity of the second hand smoke? That stuff is dangerous. :rolleyes:

It's a pretty clever teacher that can get the school district to pay for a hookah that you use one day a year for 5 periods, and then take it home to "safely store" it and do who knows what with.

This was circa 1973. This same teacher baked us homemade granola and brought it in once or twice. This was before "granola" was a word you saw in supermarkets and included chocolate chips. :)

Bongs and glass pipes are not meant for tobacco use. Hookahs on the other hand are used all over the world but mostly in the Middle East and India to be used with Shisha, which is tobacco with glycerin to keep it moist, and flavored in various ways. Unlike when smoking pot where is is lit with a flame, the shisha is heated with charcoal but not set on fire like a traditional pipe. The lower temperature and the smoke being filtered through water provides a very cool smoke that is not harsh at all.

As far a not inhaling it really doesn't work the say way as a pipe. I tried a hookah for the first time after smoking cigars for 7 years and it's not the same. On the first hit I didn't even think it was working until I opened my mouth and smoke came pouring out of my mouth and nose. :eek: Unless you try it its' hard to explain, but it really is a different way to smoke.

I've bought the pipe today:)55 cm tall, blue very nice, with to kind of shisha:
- Apple
- Pina Colada

Actually I like cigars as well. As I write before I gave up smoking about 5 years before. But I smoke 1-3 cigars in every month. I think the worst is the cigarette, but which one is better ? Cigar or water pipe ?
So which is worst : You keep the cigar fume in your mouth to taste and enjoy it, not inhale. But you inhale the pipe fume...
So what do you think ?

Commander Quan

Good call most of the apple flavors I've smoked have been pretty good.
A hookah is easier to smoke if you are not a smoker, it's just not as harsh as a cigarette and it won't make your mouth taste bad the next day like novices feel about cigars, and it won't bite your tough like a pipe can. When you buy the shish don't get the really cheap stuff. The stuff that cost a little more is all tobacco the cheaper stuff has stems and twigs and in it that you have to pick out.

True, the types of tobacco used for a hookah don't have the same chemicals/additives as cigarettes, but smoke is still carcinogenic. But I've also heard that because the smoke is cooled via water, it is more likely to adhere to or get 'caught' by those tiny hairs lining your lungs than dryer smoke (which is not a good thing). Has anyone come across such info?

Top Bottom