What's new

Watching a sub-forum?

Eben Stone

Staff member
Is watching a sub-forum, such as the BST, supposed to do anything?

I'm asking, because I enabled the watch for the BST sub-forum. I expect to receive notifications when new threads are created, but that's not happening.

It does seem to work for individual threads, but that's not what I'm interested in.

Have you enabled notifications for watched forums?

watch.png

Eben Stone

Staff member
AFAICT, I have all the relevant settings enabled, but I'm not getting alerts/notifications when someone creates a new thread in the BST even though I'm watching it at the BST level. Is it supposed to work the way I'm describing?

20211223_200423.jpg

20211223_200509.jpg

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
WATCHing a forum seems to function differently than watching than watching a thread. I think of it as being akin to being a bookmark/favorite, rather than being something to get notifications from.

I have the URL for my watched forums set as my browser's main B&B bookmark.
1640541745961.png

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Is it just the BST forum?
I don’t have a clue what the issue could be. But the first step - clear the cookies/cache

Way back, the BST would NOT work with watching or instant alerts.

Off memory, Mods/Admins had disabled watch/alert function for the BST, to prevent quick draw on good deals and to give everyone a fighting chance.

I don't even think the BST shows up when I hit "what's new or new posts". I have to manually look at that forum

Again, this may or may not be correct and I have my reasonings wrong.

Eben Stone

Staff member
Wat back, the BST would NOT work with watching or instant alerts.

Off memory, Mods/Admins had disabled it to prevent Quick draw in good deals and to give everyone a fighting chance.

Again, this may or may not be correct and I have my reasonings wrong.
That makes a lot of sense, and I suspect that is what's happening, just looking for confirmation on what to expect. Thanks.

Top Bottom