What's new

Watch Ya Wearing

Something casual under the racing suit....

full

Glowing in the ram-air...
full

Nice motorbike. My lifelong dream (since the mid-1960's) has been to own a high-end Ducati, but over the past decade or so, I've added Aprilia and MV to my list. Alas, I'm too old now for any of them.

Tim

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice motorbike. My lifelong dream (since the mid-1960's) has been to own a high-end Ducati, but over the past decade or so, I've added Aprilia and MV to my list. Alas, I'm too old now for any of them.

Tim

Had a Duc - didn't do much for me. The dry clutch (to me) sounds awful and is incredibly stiff/heavy, they're unreliable, shockingly expensive to maintain and unless a touring model - remarkably uncomfortable to ride. Do they look amazing, and ride beautifully on the track? For sure, but for me, the shortcomings outweigh the benefits. My Ape is more comfortable, is much better at low-speed sharp turns (IE: canyon riding) is stone cold reliable (RSV's have an Austrian ROTAX built engine) is every bit as fast as a similar Ducati 999, and is more uncommon/unique. Not knockin' Ducati's (to each their own) but owning one is more of a hobby than riding one. I like bikes you gas, oil and ride the **** outta :lol:

The watch in question isn't a "Datejust" - apparently, the calendar function came in to being post-1953. Therefore, I'm of the opinion that "perpetual" refers to the self-winding.

My son has a much more recent self-winding gold and stainless Rolex - with the calendar function - and it, too, has the word "perpetual" on the face.

This a 1963 pie-pan face Omega automatic constellation, with a stainless and gold version of the characteristic beads of rice style band. This is my dear old departed Dad's old watch and it reminds me of the many happy times we had together. I kept it in a drawer for several years but when I finally decided to start wearing it and got it serviced, the jeweler, who was a vintage omega collector, was practically drooling over it. Anyway, it does not matter to me how much it is worth, I love this watch and would never sell it. By the way, it keeps great time.

Pete

This a 1963 pie-pan face Omega automatic constellation, with a stainless and gold version of the characteristic beads of rice style band. This is my dear old departed Dad's old watch and it reminds me of the many happy times we had together. I kept it in a drawer for several years but when I finally decided to start wearing it and got it serviced, the jeweler, who was a vintage omega collector, was practically drooling over it. Anyway, it does not matter to me how much it is worth, I love this watch and would never sell it. By the way, it keeps great time.

Pete
That truly is a beautiful watch and the fact that it was your Dad's make it all the better. It is rare to find a 'beads of rice" band in decent condition these days. Most were replaced years ago. I can see why your jeweler was impressed. I am too.

The watch in question isn't a "Datejust" - apparently, the calendar function came in to being post-1953. Therefore, I'm of the opinion that "perpetual" refers to the self-winding.

My son has a much more recent self-winding gold and stainless Rolex - with the calendar function - and it, too, has the word "perpetual" on the face.

Sorry - it was early in the morning for us left coasters - and I didn't even look to see if there was a date feature on your watch :blushing:

That truly is a beautiful watch and the fact that it was your Dad's make it all the better. It is rare to find a 'beads of rice" band in decent condition these days. Most were replaced years ago. I can see why your jeweler was impressed. I am too.

thanks, pal. Most metal watch bands pull at my arm hair but the bead of rice band is really comfortable. The clasp has a few scratches, and I might try to get another one if I can find it some day.

This is from the Timezone web site's Rolex FAQ:

What does "Perpetual" mean?

"Perpetual" is Rolex's way of saying the watch is automatic or self-winding. Perpetual watches have a rotor in the back that rotates as you move your hand, and that rotor is geared down and winds the mainspring. See should I wind my watch for more info.

Tim

Texquill, I don't want to waste the band width re-posting your pic, but just had to say that '53 Oyster is a beauty.

In many ways, the Oyster Perpetual in its many iterations was the watch that first made Rolex's reputation back in the 30s and 40s for a tough, high quality watch.

I Love this Hemingway quote, circa 1948, from "Across The River and Into The Trees" that compares the human heart to the Oyster Perpetual :

"It's just a muscle. Only it is the main muscle. It works as perfectly as a Rolex Oyster Perpetual. The trouble is you cannot send it to the Rolex representative when it goes wrong. When it stops, you just do not know the time. You're dead."

proxy.php

What do you guys think of this? It's a 1943 solid gold rolex oyster that used to belong to my grandfather. Just been serviced and keeps better time that my modern Omega Seamaster 300!

proxy.php

What do you guys think of this? It's a 1943 solid gold rolex oyster that used to belong to my grandfather. Just been serviced and keeps better time that my modern Omega Seamaster 300!

What do I think? I love it! :001_wub::drool:

Beautiful, classic Oyster, even better having been in your family so long. Wow.

<image omitted>

Low key, attractive and Rolex, all at the same time. 'Can't beat that!

- Chris

proxy.php

It's a beauty!
edit: I had to add that I really like the way you have presented your watch. It was a classy touch to use a fountain pen that had ink that was the color of the watch band. Nice job!

Last edited:
Top Bottom