What's new

Watch Ya Wearing

Kilroy6644

Smoking a corn dog in aviators and a top hat
That's a looker! I believe seestern is the doxa homage? I've always wanted one but the price was just out of reach.

Close but not quite…

Solid Seiko movements though. It’s hard to say which ETA/Selitta movement is in a current production Doxa for 8-10 times the price.
It's close enough for my budget. Reading about Dirk Pitt's Doxa in Clive Cussler's books was my introduction to the concept of "dive watches," so one has always been on my wishlist. But I could neither afford one, nor justify the expense . I can afford the Seestern, though (as well as a San Martin and a Steeldive, to scratch my other itches).

It's close enough for my budget. Reading about Dirk Pitt's Doxa in Clive Cussler's books was my introduction to the concept of "dive watches," so one has always been on my wishlist. But I could neither afford one, nor justify the expense . I can afford the Seestern, though (as well as a San Martin and a Steeldive, to scratch my other itches).
I showed @Whilliam the other day this new Seiko GMT as I was also looking for something orange and then had a look at Doxa.

C6B474F3-2C0F-403F-AA48-8F6C62D9C673.jpeg

Frankly I don’t really understand their pricing strategy. My gut feel would have placed the brand in the sub 1k region.

Your Seestern looks fantastic and is priced right.

Kilroy6644

Smoking a corn dog in aviators and a top hat
I showed @Whilliam the other day this new Seiko GMT as I was also looking for something orange and then had a look at Doxa.

View attachment 1500073

Frankly I don’t really understand their pricing strategy. My gut feel would have placed the brand in the sub 1k region.

Your Seestern looks fantastic and is priced right.
I briefly considered doing a "Doxtok" mod on a Vostok 710, but I ultimately decided it wasn't quite close enough, and I wasn't really comfortable with modding. I'm glad I decided not to. I'm happier with the Seestern and the Vostok as it is.

Well, some guys will brag on things they don't actually own. I didn't see that it was a picture thread based on the OP. Regardless, all of those watches are a good 20-22 years old now. Bought before things went nuts.
Same here. 70s, 90s and early 00 for Rolex. When I got my new Tudor a couple of weeks ago they showed me the Rolex Rootbeer side by side - list price 14.3k actual one 28-29k :letterk1:

7CAC070C-0D08-4328-AF59-D7B00ED91EC5.jpeg

Same here. 70s, 90s and early 00 for Rolex. When I got my new Tudor a couple of weeks ago they showed me the Rolex Rootbeer side by side - list price 14.3k actual one 28-29k :letterk1:

View attachment 1500106
Nice! I've got a few other decent watches including my first Datejust (16233) bought new back in 1989. I did get Rolex to redial it from champagne to silver on a service some years ago as it was getting harder to read the dial with gold indices against a gold dial. This was my business watch when I was doing the Gordon Gekko thing...
proxy.php

Last edited:

captp

Pretty Pink Fairy Princess.
And just because I wear watches other than Rolex and Omega, here's one of my favorite watches of all time, bought in the early 80's. One of Seiko's best efforts with digital watches then:
proxy.php
Seiko is genius. Made a digital look analog. (I knew what you meant, I do that all the time)

Whilliam

First Class Citizen
I briefly considered doing a "Doxtok" mod on a Vostok 710, but I ultimately decided it wasn't quite close enough, and I wasn't really comfortable with modding. I'm glad I decided not to. I'm happier with the Seestern and the Vostok as it is.
Sounds like Doxas have become inordinately expensive these days. I think I paid about $600 (gray market) for my Diver back in 2001 or so. It's a nice watch, but, to these eyes, certainly not in the same league as Rolex or Omega--or even premier offerings by Seiko or Citizen.

(I must confess that the watch looks and performs dramatically better when I'm reading a Clive Cussler novel.)

Top Bottom