What's new

Watch Ya Wearing

313E14D4-73D2-486E-99BB-31B35D547381.jpeg

Love it. How do you like it?
It's Fantastic in person. I have four GS's and each of them are stunning. I've owned some great timepieces over the years and nobody is close to GS's dials for less than 5x the price. If you aren't a watch nerd chances are you've never heard of Grand Seiko. As they continue to gain popularity and market share this brand will take off. Under $10k nobody's close...nobody

It's Fantastic in person. I have four GS's and each of them are stunning. I've owned some great timepieces over the years and nobody is close to GS's dials for less than 5x the price. If you aren't a watch nerd chances are you've never heard of Grand Seiko. As they continue to gain popularity and market share this brand will take off. Under $10k nobody's close...nobody
I’m a huge watch nerd, and own a bunch of vintage Seiko watches. I visited the Seiko boutique several times in nyc and the GS watches are incredible. They are way better looking, and proportioned than any Rolex I’ve seen in the past 10 years (Rolex has lost it easy) and the detail and craftsmanship is second to none.

I’m very tempted to get vintage GS or a King Seiko, and love that you gave it such high praise.

Im harsh on my watches. Assume it can take a beating. How is the accuracy? How is the accuracy if you don’t wear it for a while? Have you had to take them
In for maintenance? I know it’s a unit movement, can any skilled horologer
Service them or back to Seiko?

They are way better looking, and proportioned than any Rolex I’ve seen in the past 10 years (Rolex has lost it easy) and the detail and craftsmanship is second to none.

Okay, I have to throw a little shade at this very subjective, overstated generalization about Rolex/Grand Seiko watches. I get there is a huge following for Grand Seiko watches and I may join the club one day, but come on... Rolex has lost it? GS is second to none? Carry on...

Okay, I have to throw a little shade at this very subjective, overstated generalization about Rolex/Grand Seiko watches. I get there is a huge following for Grand Seiko watches and I may join the club one day, but come on... Rolex has lost it? GS is second to none? Carry on...
The Rolex brand has never been stronger. But, in my humble opinion, the watches in terms of design have gotte. A bit too flashy and stepped outside what made them great.
For example, while they still sell a 36mm Datejust, the 41mm is the standard. That’s a big watch. I can’t stand the branding around the chapter ring. The fluted bezel, seem to sit on top of the watch instead of integrating into the watch.
The sky dweller is just an awful design and, where I love a Day Date, I don’t like the proportions of the new ones.
The classic tool watches are also too big and awkward. For, the GMT’s bezel font is just strange

I guess what I’m saying is a Rolex, and I purchased my first Rolex in 1984, went from being an every day bulletproof watch that can blend into any attire, to a really loud showy watch, which I don’t like.

yea the movements are robust and the quality is there, but at what price?

what I’m saying is a GS, in many ways, has taken over the bulletproof subtle watch market that Rolex owned.

The Rolex brand has never been stronger. But, in my humble opinion, the watches in terms of design have gotte. A bit too flashy and stepped outside what made them great.
For example, while they still sell a 36mm Datejust, the 41mm is the standard. That’s a big watch. I can’t stand the branding around the chapter ring. The fluted bezel, seem to sit on top of the watch instead of integrating into the watch.
The sky dweller is just an awful design and, where I love a Day Date, I don’t like the proportions of the new ones.
The classic tool watches are also too big and awkward. For, the GMT’s bezel font is just strange

I guess what I’m saying is a Rolex, and I purchased my first Rolex in 1984, went from being an every day bulletproof watch that can blend into any attire, to a really loud showy watch, which I don’t like.

yea the movements are robust and the quality is there, but at what price?

what I’m say is a GS, in many ways, has taken over the bulletproof subtle watch market that Rolex owned.
Well stated and I better understand your point of view.

Like shaving gear, watches are very personal and subjective. What I love about a watch this year, will certainly change 10 years from now (I used to wear a 31mm, now 40ish seems the norm). Think how hard it must be to continue innovation on a mechanical watch the size of a silver dollar. There is only so much you can do to separate from the pack. Rolex is somewhat stuck because there is no brand that is scrutinized more.

I shopped for a Grand Seiko last year, but didn't pull the trigger. Like I said, I would love to own one someday, it just has to be the right watch and right time (pun intended).

Last edited:
Well stated and I better understand your point of view.

Like shaving gear, watches are very personal and subjective. What I love about a watch this year, will certainly change 10 years from now (I used to wear a 31mm, now 40ish seems the norm). Think how hard it must be to continue innovation on a mechanical watch the size of a silver dollar. There is only so much you can do to separate from the pack. Rolex is somewhat stuck because there is no brand that is scrutinized more.

I shopped for a Grand Seiko last year, but didn't pull the trigger. Like I said, I would love to own one someday, it just has to be the right watch and right time (pun intended).
I should have added that I do love Rolex, just not the new models. A friend of mine is in the market for a new watch, and I keep sending him various Datejust models from 1987 or earlier. I have said to him: its the last watch you'll need; It can be worn with ragged shorts and a dirty t-shirt or a tux and anything in between; I've abused mine for years; and it will hold its value.

I covet a wideboy -- either a DJ or a DayDate-- and my grail watch is a yellow gold Day-Date from the 80s or 1970s. Yes its loud and gauche, but I'm now middle age and am enamored with a ridiculous gold watch. I'm contemplating selling many in my collection to get this watch (I have many seikos, a few omegas, including a coveted Seamaster 120 from the early 1960s, a Rolex, Gallet, a Sinn EZM-3 and my Patek, which was my grandfather's watch, my dad's, and now it's mine) Been collecting since I was 15.

So my love for Rolex is strong. I just know the value of the Grand Seiko compared to what's out on the market. Lots of bang for the buck, and lovely design, detail and execution.

Lastly, what I love about B&B overall, is we can have big differences in opinion, and have an argument based on fact and opinion, without getting personal or the name calling.

I should have added that I do love Rolex, just not the new models. A friend of mine is in the market for a new watch, and I keep sending him various Datejust models from 1987 or earlier. I have said to him: its the last watch you'll need; It can be worn with ragged shorts and a dirty t-shirt or a tux and anything in between; I've abused mine for years; and it will hold its value.

I covet a wideboy -- either a DJ or a DayDate-- and my grail watch is a yellow gold Day-Date from the 80s or 1970s. Yes its loud and gauche, but I'm now middle age and am enamored with a ridiculous gold watch. I'm contemplating selling many in my collection to get this watch (I have many seikos, a few omegas, including a coveted Seamaster 120 from the early 1960s, a Rolex, Gallet, a Sinn EZM-3 and my Patek, which was my grandfather's watch, my dad's, and now it's mine) Been collecting since I was 15.

So my love for Rolex is strong. I just know the value of the Grand Seiko compared to what's out on the market. Lots of bang for the buck, and lovely design, detail and execution.

Lastly, what I love about B&B overall, is we can have big differences in opinion, and have an argument based on fact and opinion, without getting personal or the name calling.
Change the strap - change the character…
I wouldn’t want to wear my DJ on the original 18k strap but there are other options.
70ies Datejust’s rock!
CECB975B-7EA5-4E4A-8701-434C6F9CF0B7.jpeg

7A37998C-D51D-4541-8ED9-C804F64C21CC.jpeg

D9C85B58-5913-46A3-B6FE-DBDAE357D342.jpeg

Dang, so this watch showed up. Its not JDM but still nice, normally I would send it back but not sure if I want to. Opinions? I did leave a review mentioning it. Screenshot_20210821-000631-294.png

Top Bottom