What's new

Watch Ya Wearing

jackgoldman123

Boring and predictable
IMG_0353.JPG

Help. (Not a watch guy. My Seiko is 18 years old. A watch is a watch....)

Better half needs a new watch. Happy to buy her one. Thinking Seiko, maybe $125, or so. Is Amazon the best bet, or can someone suggest a better place to purchase? Is there a better brand in that $ range?

Thanks!

Help. (Not a watch guy. My Seiko is 18 years old. A watch is a watch....)

Better half needs a new watch. Happy to buy her one. Thinking Seiko, maybe $125, or so. Is Amazon the best bet, or can someone suggest a better place to purchase? Is there a better brand in that $ range?

Thanks!

Hello Mac,
My wife took an immediate shine to the Seiko SNK809 that arrived today for me, she'd now like to get one. Various colours available and well within your budget, mine was $90 cdn from Amazon.ca.
dave

Thanks. We browsed JC Penney yesterday. She seemed to like silver/gold combo with metal band. They were asking full blown "suggested retail", or as the 19 year old lad behind the counter said, "These are off sale."

Thanks. We browsed JC Penney yesterday. She seemed to like silver/gold combo with metal band. They were asking full blown "suggested retail", or as the 19 year old lad behind the counter said, "These are off sale."

Not sure what style she likes, but fossil has some pretty nice looking things for ladies in that price range.

Thanks Phenol.

It dates from the mid-fifties to the very early sixties. I have a book on Smiths watches on hand and it appears that style of dial was used for 6-7 years. Smiths - Compiled by Barrie Smith - AbeBooks

Smiths watches are interesting. Made in England at a time when the Swiss ruled watchmaking. Their dials are fragile and frequently found to be deteriorated. Many of their cases are chrome or gold plated though 9kt and even 18kt solid gold cases can be found. Their 15 to 25 jewel movements are considered to be nice high-grade movements. The De Luxe I have features their respected 17-jewel 27.CS movement. Their lower grade "Empire" movements have low 1, 5, or 7 jewel count and don't seem to be so durable, at least so many found on Ebay are needing repair.

I think Smiths English made movements were done by 1970. The company soldiered on for several more years assembling their watches with Swiss movements before abandoning wrist watches for production of other instrumentation.

And that's more than anyone ever cared to know about Smiths.

Smiths Watches: More than Mt Everest - Wound For Life

SMITHS English Wristwatches - David Penney's Antique Watch Store

Products

Top Bottom