What's new

Watch Ya Wearing

Seiko Black Monster. For decades, my daily watch used to be a Rolex Submariner, but since it has red writing on the face, it has become a collector's item and just became too valuable for me to feel comfortable wearing every day. So my son got me the Monster for Christmas, and the Rolex has been locked away ever since.

Not getting into too much of a discussion about movements, I guess I should qualify my previous statement and say that you have an in house movement from a small manufacturer with a more hands on craftsmanship, unlike seiko/orient/citizen that manufacturers on a much larger automated scale.

I think there is a difference.

Not getting into too much of a discussion about movements, I guess I should qualify my previous statement and say that you have an in house movement from a small manufacturer with a more hands on craftsmanship, unlike seiko/orient/citizen that manufacturers on a much larger automated scale.

The high end Seikos (eg. Grand Seikos) movements are hand assembled in their entirety. Some high-end watches use ETA movements that can be both hand- and machine assembled.

Here's a video of a Grand Seiko being assembled:

Many people believe Grand Seikos offer accuracy, quality and finish that not only meets but exceeds that of many of the high-end Swiss watches. Unfortunately, I will never know, as my budget will not allow me a Grand Seiko nor a high-end Swiss watch... :sad:

Last edited by a moderator:
My budget does not allow a GS either, but if there ever was a desirable watch! I'd love to have that Japanese perfection around my wrist.

My fabulous Breitling Navitimer Premier.

$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1393017274.756627.jpg

I completely agree. The quality difference between a Seiko 5 I mentioned and a Nomos is directly represented in there cost. A Grand Seiko on the other hand are beautiful time pieces and this is also represented in there cost. I would love to add one to my collection.

Just picked this up from a local charity shop. (UK) I wound it up yesterday at 3pm and it's still ticking away nicely 31 hours later. Google tells me they were made in the late 60s early 70s. Please excuse phone pic. I'm at work.:sleep:

Attachments

• $IMG-20140225-00142.jpg
    $IMG-20140225-00142.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 175
Top Bottom