What's new

Watch Suggestions?

I am looking for a watch. My birthday is coming up and I'm also graduating from law school 8 days later. My wife has told me that she and our families would like to all go in together for a big gift for me. I wanted to get something I won't replace with something new and better in 5 years, something I will have 50 years from now and something my son can have. A watch is the first thing that came to mind.

I am already in the habit of wearing one, I just need suggestions regarding a nice watch brand. I first though a Tag Heuer, but I wondered what else is out there comparable.

Two questions come to mind.
How much time do you have?
How much money are you dealing with?

Personally, if I had plenty of both at my disposal, I'd be looking for a classic vintage mechanical watch.
Funny, Tag Heuer came to my mind first for a new watch also. There are some exotic brands out there though. Check your lawyer's magazine rack for the latest available models.

Well, my birthday is almost a month away. Probably dealing with $500-$600, maybe more.

I think you're going to have a pretty hard time finding a TAG for $600. Of course the B&B watch comes to mind :wink:

If you're looking to drop some serious coin, an Omega is always a good choice.

Crap...I'm feeling all poor and stuff for having a Timex!

I wouldn't, if I were you. There's a broad sprinkling of people on this forum. We have a broad range of incomes, interests and relative priorities. I get great satisfaction out of other peoples' collections. :smile:

- Chris

The possibilities are endless. Tell us more. What style do you want? what finish do you want? You want Quartz or mechanical?

No idea what the difference is between a Quartz or Mechanical. I have no preference on the band of the watch, but to me I think metal is more versatile.

Crap...I'm feeling all poor and stuff for having a Timex!

No need to worry about that. Techincally timex are better watches than rolex, omega, iwc, breitling, TAG, etc. They are more durable, and keep time more accurately, and at 1/100 of the price no less. :thumbup1:

Plus, some of them dont look too bad to boot.

I've been wearing a Citizen Eco-drive for 11 years now. Its an excellent watch, never needs a battery, keeps perfect time, and in all those years I've only had a link in the band needing service. I wear it everyday, its set with the atomic clock in Colorado and if it looses a second or 2 a year that's a lot. You can get models well up into the several hundred dollars too. Mine was a gift those 11 years ago, and I think back them it was around $125.00. Its a great watch. :thumbup1:

I'm going through this presently, and I personally have no interest in a Rolex. I like having nice things, but I don't care for the idea of wearing something that everyone will be impressed with. Something obscure to everyone except those in the know is most appealing to me.

So... I'll be watching this thread as well

I'd go with a classic vintage watch for $500-$600. You can find a very nice Omega Constellation in that range. It will pass muster with watch geeks, run forever and there will always be replacement parts and service. A quartz Tag is OK, but will depreciate and won't be collectible. A vintage Constellation will always be desireable and will gain value every year you own it.

P.S. Congrats on graduating from law school! I did in '97, and it is quite an accomplishment! Be sure to take a few weeks off to travel and enjoy yourself before studying for the bar. You deserve it!

I'm going through this presently, and I personally have no interest in a Rolex. I like having nice things, but I don't care for the idea of wearing something that everyone will be impressed with. Something obscure to everyone except those in the know is most appealing to me.

So... I'll be watching this thread as well

Jaeger LeCoultre Reverso.

Cheers,
David

I have this watch and love it. Never had a problem with it and it still looks new after a few years of everyday use.

proxy.php

Tag Heuer Link (not automatic)

I'd go with a classic vintage watch for $500-$600. You can find a very nice Omega Constellation in that range. It will pass muster with watch geeks, run forever and there will always be replacement parts and service. A quartz Tag is OK, but will depreciate and won't be collectible. A vintage Constellation will always be desireable and will gain value every year you own it.

P.S. Congrats on graduating from law school! I did in '97, and it is quite an accomplishment! Be sure to take a few weeks off to travel and enjoy yourself before studying for the bar. You deserve it!

I second the idea of a vintage watch. There are loads of well-made classic watches out there made by Omega, IWC, Jaeger and others which can be had for your budget and which will look fantastic for years to come.

Top Bottom