What's new

Watch Suggestions >$400

I have been looking at watches for quite a while, and haven't yet found exactly what I want.
I would prefer if the watch is automatic, but it is not a deal breaker if it isnt.
I am looking for a stainless steel or titanium band.
I do not want a chronograph, but would like to have the date.
I would prefer for the face to be black.

There is a link below to a watch that is ALMOST what I'm looking for. The only exception is that I don't like the diamonds. However, the rest of the face and the style of the watch and band are dead on what I'm looking for. The diamonds just seem a bit too flashy for my standards.
http://www.bulova.com/brands/bulova/product.aspx?origin=collection&sku=96D14&brand=bulova
I would prefer to stay under $400, and would like to be able to find the particular watch in a brick and mortar store, so I can see it in person before purchasing.

Does anyone have any suggestions? It seems that there are always plenty of good opinions on here, and judging by the "Watch Ya Wearing" thread, a lot of you have some very nice watches.

Last edited:
Sieko 5's are automatic and are reasonably priced (less than 125 USD). check out the bay or amazon, they have the best prices, they are usually overpriced at a brick and mortar. I own a Seiko black monster automatic and I love it, a rugged dependable watch about 150 USD. While the parts of a Minoyta sp? (Sieko) movement contain a wide variety of materials including plastics and teflon coated parts, a debate exists whether this is better or worse than an all metal movement. Advocates for the petrol-based parts claim this results in a movement which does not need lubrication. Others will say its cheap.
If you are in the second camp I would also look at Tissots. I have the PR516 model, its a Swiss ETA automatic movement, day date, display back and a mineral crystal. A great watch which I ended up paying around 300 USD.
At this price range you should consider a Citizen eco drive as well. Its a solar powered battery movement which I have found to be quite dependable.
One thing to consider about automatic movements is whats called hacking, meaning the ability to wind the watch by the crown. Your Seikos will not have this while the ETA movements typically do. Automatic movements are designed to be constantly worn, hence fully charged. If you decide to not wear your watch one day you are putting stress on the movement, and the hacking feature allows you to less this stress. Be prepared for variations in time keeping as well and regular adjustment.
At the end of the day, I would look towards Tissot, they make some great entry level Swiss time pieces and contain movement identical to higher end Swiss watches such as Omega and Longines which are all part of the Swatch Company. These watches are widely available enough, that they can be easily repaired and retain more value that the Japanese watches. Good luck to you and let us know about your decision.

^ ^ Good post. ^ ^

You cannot go wrong with Seikos. Citizens are also good, but I prefer the overall looks of Seikos.

Unfortunately I can't get your link to work so I can't see what style takes your fancy, but here are some suggestions. All of them mechanical as they are the only kind of watch that interests me (I feel that a mechanical watch has a certain "soul" which is lacking in an electronic watch - excluding one or two exceptions like the original Bulova Accutron tuning-fork watch). The other thing is that if regularly maintained, there is no reason why a mechanical watch can't last for several lifetimes. Essentially there are some fantastic watches available around your price bracket if you ignore the high-profile brands. This is not to say that watches you have never heard of are junk, it's just that they don't have big marketing budgets and don't sponsor sports events. Many of these watches use Swiss-made ETA movements (i.e. the mechanics of the watch, excluding the case, face, buttons etc) - the same movements used by brands such as Tag and Omega.

The Sandoz (from Singapore) Submariner. A Swiss ETA movement, stainless case, sapphire crystal. No it's not a fake Rolex - it's a Sandoz. The only thing I might change is a heavier weight strap - but that's just me...

The Ollech and Wajs Pilot's watch. Classic military style watch, Swiss made movement. Check out the rest of O&W's watches on that site.

If you could push your budget up by another $150 - $200, you can gain a hell of a lot of watch. German manufactured Archimede (with Swiss movements) offer fantastic watches for the money. Some of their pilots watches are only around $550 but would equal many watches costing twice the price.

In a similar price bracket, Stowa watches (also German) give you the opportunity to select various options to "upgrade" the watch at the time of purchase. Also excellent quality for the price.

Tissot Le Locle automatic with the Swiss ETA movement listed above. MSRP is $450, but you can get most jewelers to give at least 10% on that price. That puts it right at the top of your range. It's my daily.

The Hamilton automatics also use the ETA movement and they have several styles to choose from.

Seikos are great, the ETA movements are great too. (I like the old American-made Hamilton wrist and pocket watches a lot, my avatar is a Hamilton 992 railroad watch) LOTS of options in your price range, link doesn't work for me either, just takes me to Seiko's world map.

Give us some more specifics as to the style/aesthetics you're looking for and I'm sure the guys will chime in with beaucoup opinions! :biggrin:

Swiss Army, especially the Victorinox versions are very nice choices. The Wenger versions are a little lower end, but still quality watches. Both Victorinox and Wenger are the same company, just higher and lower end models.

Sieko 5's are automatic and are reasonably priced (less than 125 USD). check out the bay or amazon, they have the best prices, they are usually overpriced at a brick and mortar. I own a Seiko black monster automatic and I love it, a rugged dependable watch about 150 USD. While the parts of a Minoyta sp? (Sieko) movement contain a wide variety of materials including plastics and teflon coated parts, a debate exists whether this is better or worse than an all metal movement. Advocates for the petrol-based parts claim this results in a movement which does not need lubrication. Others will say its cheap.
If you are in the second camp I would also look at Tissots. I have the PR516 model, its a Swiss ETA automatic movement, day date, display back and a mineral crystal. A great watch which I ended up paying around 300 USD.
At this price range you should consider a Citizen eco drive as well. Its a solar powered battery movement which I have found to be quite dependable.
One thing to consider about automatic movements is whats called hacking, meaning the ability to wind the watch by the crown. Your Seikos will not have this while the ETA movements typically do. Automatic movements are designed to be constantly worn, hence fully charged. If you decide to not wear your watch one day you are putting stress on the movement, and the hacking feature allows you to less this stress. Be prepared for variations in time keeping as well and regular adjustment.
At the end of the day, I would look towards Tissot, they make some great entry level Swiss time pieces and contain movement identical to higher end Swiss watches such as Omega and Longines which are all part of the Swatch Company. These watches are widely available enough, that they can be easily repaired and retain more value that the Japanese watches. Good luck to you and let us know about your decision.

Seiko automatics do not contain any plastic or teflon coated parts. Rolex uses teflon coatings and Omega uses plastic parts in their speedmaster chronos. If your buying a $400 watch I wouldn't worry about retaining value because that's meaningless at that price point.

Just buy what you like. If you buy a seiko with their basic 7S26 mvmt it will run for 20 years without service. If you buy a Swiss watch, in 5 years or so you will need to get an overhaul which is probably not cost effective for a watch in that price range.

Do yourself a favor and get a quartz based watch.

Thanks everyone!

Homebrewer: The Tissot you recommended is EXACTLY what I've been looking for. I will have to search for jewelers in my area (Indianapolis) that carry the brand, but I've heard Tissot commercials with Danica Patrick on the radio, so I know they're around. For anyone interested, this is what I was referring to:

http://www.jomashop.com/tissot-le-locle-t41148353.html

A great watch from a great company:

proxy.php

Can get it with a metal, mesh bracelet:

proxy.php

Last edited:
Seiko automatics do not contain any plastic or teflon coated parts. Rolex uses teflon coatings and Omega uses plastic parts in their speedmaster chronos. If your buying a $400 watch I wouldn't worry about retaining value because that's meaningless at that price point.

Just buy what you like. If you buy a seiko with their basic 7S26 mvmt it will run for 20 years without service. If you buy a Swiss watch, in 5 years or so you will need to get an overhaul which is probably not cost effective for a watch in that price range.

Do yourself a favor and get a quartz based watch.

Sorry I am bit of a watch nut

Not to prove you wrong but....
The link below discusses Seiko's use of plastic parts...

http://www.thepurists.com/watch/features/8ohms/7s26/

I own this watch and am completely happy with it. No problems at all. I like the automatic movement because it is maintained by daily movement. It charges my conserving my energy which I have wasted. Often times I think Quartz watchs lack the personality of an automatic, but they do keep accurate time. Good luck with your choice, I think you'll be pleased!

I wore various cheap wristwatches for years. Always felt naked without.

Then one day I got bit by a mosquito under the watch and needed to go without to allow it to heal. Never been able to wear one since.

So last year I bought a Hamilton 992b Railroad Pocketwatch that can be traced (from the serial number) to the year I was born. 1958. My 50th birthday present to myself.

To be fair, my Wife said if I didn't buy it she would have.

I've made myself a braintanned deerskin pouch and carry it in my pocket daily. It has to be wound daily and is more difficult to look at than my cellphone but much nicer and a real conversation starter.

Zacsdaddy

My friend's dad refuses to buy a Stowa for the same reason my dad refuses to purchase anything from Mitsubishi. Some of the older folks still hold a grudge over WW2.

Top Bottom